1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP44PS2 replacement screen help needed.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lonewolf, Mar 29, 2005.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this set two years ago after reading about it here, and have been really pleased so far.

This morning however my youngest dog jumped up at the tv and left a trail of claw marks all over the screen.

Thinking it would be a simple task to order a replacement from Sony, a visit to Sony.co.uk led me to the following company :

SEME Limited
    Hudson Road
    Melton Mowbray
    Leicestershire
    LE13 1BS
    Telephone: 0870 240 6354

I duly rang up and requested a quote for a replacement plastic screen.

From Service Manual
    Ref. no. 103
    Part no. 4-076-575-11 Screen, Contrast

£130 before VAT apparently, but I couldn't order one, as it was discontinued by Sony in December '04. The guy on the phone then said an alternative part was listed, but again no stock. When I then asked for suggestions as to where I could obtain the screen, I was told that since even Sony would have no stock I was pretty much out of luck.

If anyone here could point me in the right direction to try to source a new screen, I'd really appreciate it.

edit : Just a thought, but does anyone know if the KP44PX2 has a similar plastic screen protector?

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, The part number you quote is still showing as available on Sony's parts site (I cannot give you the details of where I looked I'm afraid) at the price you quote plus vat. Neither can I order it for you. However, why not go back to SEME and tell them that you believe the part is available and to double check again ? Regards, yt.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Lonewolf and welcome to the Forum, :)

I suspect you're going to be out of luck on this one, as the screen must surely be model specific.

In other words, any old 42" screen won't do. :mad:

Any chance of claiming on your House Contents insurance?

If it can't be repaired, you might be able to claim for a new TV! :clap:

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Why not just take the first layer of the screen off (as this is a protection layer only) as the actual lenses are the bottom 2 layers. Then Ban the dog from the room altogether as if it gets scratched again you will be in trouble. Failing that I would Imagine that a screen set from any other 44 rear pro would be suitable with perhaps a re-focus but I reckon it would be ok (dont quote me on it however)

5. lonewolf

lonewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far.

red16v - I'll give SEME another ring tomorrow morning and get them to check again. If I still get no joy I'll try contacting Sony. I'll post back with how I get on.

Tight Git - (Great forum name by the way). I'll be claiming for the cost of a new screen if/when I source one.

scooby do - I'd previously considered doing your screen stack mod, but with two dogs and three young kids in the house (plus one slightly clumsy wife!) I didn't think it was wise. If I can't get the correct screen I'll probably resort to trying one from one of Sony's other 44" rptv sets.
    Also thanks for the instructions for disabling SVM on this set, I only recently got round to doing it and wish I'd done this much sooner as it has made a huge difference, particularly with text.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you can't get an original protective screen, you could measure the size of the actual screen, and get a sheet of Lexan or similar plastic cut to the same size and thickness to replace the damaged one. The only problem is that when you pull the protective film off a Lexan sheet, it attracts dust like mad because of static electricity, and you must be careful not to damage the actual lenticular screen. Also, the Lexan is clear and not tinted for contrast.

I used to have an RPTV which didn't have a protective screen, and took damage from a visit to a service shop leaving white scratches on the surface of the lenticular. They had to fund a replacement, but after that ordeal I ordered a sheet of Lexan and retrofitted the screen with it. The lenticular screen is very sensitive to scratches and a full screen assembly (lenticular+Fresnel or diffusion) are insanely expensive.

Replacing the entire screen assembly with one for another set could be problematic though, as the Fresnel lens is designed for a certain range of throw distances and lens types. Using a different screen could lead to increased vignette (darkened corners, tinting and reduced viewing angles), but how severe it would be is unknown to me.

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    how did you get on with this?