1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP44PS2 projection engine settings.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by captaindobie, Mar 22, 2003.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello. You may have read my previous post highlighting my basic stupidity with regards to the service menu of the above TV.
    From what i can gather, all (i say all !) i have seemed to have done is reset the settings in the projector engine menu. Is there anybody out there who owns this TV and is familiar with the service menu who may be able to provide me with their settings?
    I am aware that nearly all TV's have their own specific settings but it may give me a start. Did not have much succes with a visit from the engineer today (he did not know how to access the service menu - Sony approved apparently !?!)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Captain may be able to help, will post back later. There is a guy called Johnson who used to come on the forums who is a real expert with this set. I have been trying to get hold of him but I don't have any personal contact details for him. Does anyone else out there.

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    FDIS 00
    COPY 00
    ALCP 00
    OSDH 26
    OSDV 116
    FVSL 15
    FVSP 23
    V1DL 96
    V1CU 440
    V1OH 37
    V1OL 00
    OEVP 1056
    COHP 4095
    34CS 14
    34CW 00
    FIHP 1110
    HPHP 069
    TPVP 93
    DFHP 100
    DFHG - 90
    DFVG - 40
    DFDC 127
    DFV1 00
    SDHP 000
    SDH1 00
    RVCS 00
    RVCW 00
    GVCS 00
    GVCW 00
    BVCS 00
    BVCW 00
    RHCS 00
    RHCW 00
    GHCS 00
    GHCW 00
    BHCS 00
    BHCW 00
    BDVU 00
    BDVL 021
    BDHL 811
    BDHR 159
    HBLD 1253
    HBLW 000
    PWM2 000
    COGV - 17
    CORV - 23
    COBV - 32
    COGH 70
    CORH 80
    COBH 48
    SOGV - 23
    SORV - 24
    SOBV - 20
    SOGH 16
    SORH 19
    SOBH 22
    ZOGH 00
    ZORH 00
    ZOBH 00
    LOGH 00
    LORH 00
    LOBH 00
    ERR 00
    ADTM 080
    VUP 031
    VUPM 000
    VMID 290
    VLOM 000
    VLOW 560
    HLE 130
    HLEM 000
    HMID 650
    HRIM 000
    HRIV 1200
    SFTF 000
    ACTL 099
    ACTH 000
    SLSW 000
    GRN CENT -039 -002
    GRN SKEW 038 -055
    GRN SIDE 000 -200
    GRN LIN 015 000
    GRN KEY XXXX 000
    GRN PIN 000 237
    GRN MLIN 000 XXXX
    GRN MSIZ 000 XXXX

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scooby Doo.... If this works then it may be love:blush:
    I have an hour before i go to work....going to try it now.

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Scooby.
    Many thanks for the info. I tried the settings and managed to get 'GREEN' looking a good deal better.
    Now, i wish to thank you very much for your efforts. It is greatly appreciated. The last 8 settings that you gave me are specifically for the 'GREEN' bulb. Is there anyway you would be able to supply me with the settings on your TV for 'RED' and 'BLUE'
    As fas as i am aware when in projection mode and you have the required setting on screen you push '3' to cycle through each colour.
    eg when displaying GRN CENT -039 -002 pushing 3 here should change the colour setting to RED CENT +/-xxx +/-xxx (pushing 3 again should change it to BLU)
    Please only do this if your are confident with the menu. I do not want to be responsible for messing another TV up.
    As i have said above, i only need the last 8 settings that you have given me for the other coloured bulbs. I am at work at the moment would like to spend this evening trying to correct things. (now on 5th day without the use of the TV!!!)
    PS I have read some posts by Johnson, and you are right. He really seemed to know his stuff. Haven't seen him on the forums for a while though.

6. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    Just thought I would say I ventured into the service menu for the first time today after much consideration. I used the cross hatch pattern in the projectionengine menu. And all I can say thanks a lot all you guys who posted about this. I thought my picture was pretty good before but now its fantastic. I was happy to live with slight blue edging with bright objects on dark, but this has really sorted everything out.

Superb!:clap:

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    As requested, these settings are quite a bit out thanks to my friendly authorised Sony engineer adjusting them without the crosshatch. Would you believe that he was using the text "GRN CENT " to align the convergence. I caught him doing it like this when I arrived from work the missus was in when he arrived and she did not know any better. I pointed out that he should use a crosshatch and I promptly put on AVIA and he said he had never seen a test tone like the crosshatch! He then phoned head office to be informed that the TV has a crosshatch built in. Captain I hope you know to use this once the rough settings are in if you need advice you know who to ask.
    Your time to help me, in the deflection menu, if I am in drc 50 (which I find the best mode) on smart picture mode. My deflection menu cannot be viewed the text looks like it is being viewed through a concave glass and is blown up too large. I think this has been caused by the dodgy settings by the "service engineer" can you tell me if yours does the same / did the same. I suppose it probably will do the same as you now have my settings! I really wish I had fixed the slight problems myself but thought what the heck I have just payed a lot of money for my TV and Sony should do it for me. I have tried some other service agents near me and they all say they cannot spend any length of time on it. And will need to uplift to workshop. I explain that this will be useless as the set will be disturbed and they don't know what I am talking about. Has anyone ever got a EXCELLENT engineer from Sony to set their set up as I am getting fed up of these hopeless and clueless "engineers"

Please Johnson comeback there is some money waiting on the table for your help.

GRN CENT -039 -002
    GRN SKEW 038 -055
    GRN SIZE 000 -200
    GRN LIN 015 000
    GRN KEY XXXX 000
    GRN PIN 000 237
    GRN MLIN 000 XXXX
    GRN MSIZ 000 XXXX

BLU CENT -076 -014
    BLU SKEW 041 -050
    BLU SIZE 000 -150
    BLU LIN -236 000
    BLU KEY XXXX -100
    BLU PIN 000 230
    BLU MLIN 100 XXXX
    BLU MSIZ 100 XXXX

RED CENT -217 075
    RED SKEW 039 -051
    RED SIZE -50 -200
    RED LIN 260 -003
    RED KEY XXXX 100
    RED PIN 000 230
    RED MLIN -100 XXXX
    RED MSIZ 100 XXXX

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scooby Dooby Doo...
    Thanks again for all your efforts.
    Just got your message this afternoon, spent most of last night playing with the TV. I now have a watchable picture again. Still have lots of fine tuning to do (mainly geometry) but i will get a chance to do this later on today. Thanks to Johnson i am aware of the crosshatch.
    In answer to your question regarding DRC 50 mode, my TV does the same. Although i can confirm that it did this before i messed up the settings. I agree with you, DRC50 is the best mode.
    I am still waiting for the SONY approved 'engineer' to call back.
    Apparently he spent 15 minutes or so trying to re-tune the TV!!!
    Even my girlfriend knew that this was not the problem...
    Hey, i think i may have spotted a gap in the market...

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Captain please tell us how you get on with the "engineer". Mine have just phoned to say they will be coming soon to sort out what the other one messed up.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you need a PDF manual- there is one for the PX2 model, which is a 44" and should cover similar grounds.

Has the grid dimensions been messed up as well? ....

Attached Files:

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Nathan, yes the grid pattern is definately out. He was adjusting convergence without having the Grid pattern displayed just using the numerical values displayed at the top of the screen! He finally got the grid pattern up after me showing the one on Avia and by that stage he had totally messed up and was adjusting with numerical values rather than using the sight and moving this round the screen to the areas that needed attention! Still they're sending out someone who knows what they are doing, we will have to see, only the other half is in today so I will have to get her to watch what he is doing. Nathan the grid line that you posted is that specific to the Sony are the numerical value the adresses of that part of the screen.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just taken from my 41" Service Manual as an example. If the Sony 44" PX2 has the same grid dimensions- I would guess so- get it here (I guess better than nothing)

KP-44PX2:
    http://service-asc.sel.sony.com/SonyESI/pdf/99274220.1/manual.pdf

[edit] yes, the grid is specific for NTSC or PAL, plus zoom modes. So for my Toshiba TV- it has 6 Zoom modes. In total there are 12 grids/convergence settings. The numbers on the bottom/side are the dimensions for each section (going out from the middle)

13. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Newbeetle,how did you get into the service menu and what did you do to get rid of the blue edging on the letterings on the screen.mine has the same problem.

14. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    Hi Daddo, this is a lot easier than it probably sounds. Just please don't attempt to do anything other than what I say in this post, really don't want you to mess up your TV.

Ok

1: Open control panel on front of TV, hold channel Prog+ and Prog- and switch TV on using the button on front of TV not remote.

2: Press menu on remote control twice, you are now in service menu.

3: scroll down to the heading second from bottom I think, and open that menu, you are looking for Projection Engine. Press ok on projection engine and then press 6.

4: you should now see a grid on the screen, press 9.

5: The cursor in the middle of the grid will be white if its not white just press OK on remote and it will turn white.

you are now ready to set this TV up properly

6: The grid on the screen should be all white, but you will be able to see red/green/blue lines straying from the white grid. Move to a problem area where the lines are not all hidden nicely behind the white line.

7: press ok and the cursor will turn colour, R,G or B If you need to move the blue line for example press ok, then see what colour the cursor is, if its not the colour you are trying to correct just press 3 on on the remote to scroll through the 3 colours. Once the cursor is the right colour just press up, down, left or right on the remote and line the colour so it hides behind the white line.

8: You do this at various points on the grid with any colours that are not lined up behind the white grid. So when finished your grid will look all white with no bent coloured lines showing.

***IMPORTANT***
    Once your happy that all the colours are lined up press mute on the remote and then Channel Zero '0' on the remote. You must do this to save your new convergance settings.

9: press menu twice again to get out of menu's then switch off the TV using the power button on front.

10: switch on and behold you have a brilliant picture .

Ps If you use your TV in wide all the time make sure its set to wide before you start all this.

Another tip is after you have finished put teletext on full screen and check for any colour shadows etc. I thought I had my grid perfect until I checked text. The blue edging on white writing was still there at the bottom centre of the screen. I went back into the grid in service menu again and sure enough the bottom line of the grid had some blue showing, moved it and saved again . Now its perfect.

If you need any more help e-mail me, I can even give you my phone number and talk you through it if your worried. I was terrified but so glad I did it, my picture has improved 30% and the colour edges on dark/bright have all gone:clap:

LemonNB@aol.com

15. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Newbeetle,
    thanks alot for the tips.Will try it later after work.:smashin:

16. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    alternatively go into standby and...........................

Attached Files:

17. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NewBeetle,
    tried the adjustment tips from your post.Spent an hour lining up the grid,and what a different it made to my Sony.No more blue edging .Thanks again for your tips.:clap:
    Just wondering would auto-convergence ruining my new settings?

18. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    All the stuff I said was learnt from these forums so can't really take all the credit. I just tried to put it into begginers language LOL.

Glad your sorted.

PS now the TV is set up I would leave the auto convergance well alone, thats my plan.:cool:

19. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do ,cheers.

20. shaunashott

shaunashott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am also trying to setup my to setup my kp44px2 so i stop getting bleeding effect on some text

i tried newbettles guide of entering the setup menu via the the control panel but that doesnt work.

so i tried it via the remote control which gives you access to the service menu, but i dont see the projection engine????

I can get a grid on my screen by entering the service menu then pressing 56 and then 66, i get white lines which vary in size at the top and so on. Can i adjust these so all sqaures are equal?

maybe i am being dumb and missing somehting out

can anyone help me out?

21. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    shaunashott,

can you describe the bleeding effect you are getting with your PX2? i've been dabbling with the projector engine but if you are seeing the same problem as me, i don't think there's a cure for it. i've become aware of lettering (especially red) bleeding upwards into the backdround... this has even been reported in reviews of the TV. other than that it's a top tv!

pete.

22. shaunashott

shaunashott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi pg

the bleeding is noticable on white writting with red back ground, you get a 3d aspect i tried adjusting using the grid, but that looked normal

the 3d looks a mix of rgb

hope it makes sense

plus any ideas on how 2 make the corners straighter ???

23. CraZyDoG

CraZyDoG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Sony KP-44PX2 and i have messed up the color alignment it was a little bit of but i tried to get the grid but for some reason i cant get it ... by trying i messed up the blue a lot ..its realy of kinda ghost image thing

i can get into the service menu by using the remote i,5,voll+,[] but i cant find the projection engine
    the +prog , -prog and power on (ON TV) doesnt work
    Do any of you have sugestions ?
    i hope so
    Thx in advance .

24. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I think that you may well have disabled the projector engine using the TT modes, someone needs to help you out who has the service manual. I'm only good for KP 44 PS2 unforuntalely. The bleed you are saying may well be something that can be cured within the service menu. See the sticky thread for Sony Smear fix just above this post.

25. CraZyDoG

CraZyDoG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the smear fix that i already done .
    and works well but the blue is just not in place .and i need to set it back with the grid ,Some time a go a Sony engineer did that with the grid thingy but i didnt watched him then (Stupid me... ) so i know this device can do it but i just do not know how ... :oops: lol
    Well any help is welcome

26. CraZyDoG

CraZyDoG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ? no one knows how to get the grid to a just the colors ? ???

27. Bob_Kent

Bob_Kent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, new to the forum.

Just go myself a second hand KP44ps2 but no manual!!!

The screen is showing blue highlights to the text etc...Reading above, going into the engineers menu seems the answer but I also saw mention automatic convergance....how do you activate that please??

Many Thanks

Bob

28. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Auto convergence is done by opening the hidden front controls where the volome prog up down etc are. You will find on the left side of the 6 buttons one control for selecting the AV channel & one for auto convergence. It is kind of luck a TV screen with a crosshatch through it. Note auto convergence should be done in a dimly lit room i.e at night with no lights on. It does rely on the set being correctly set up and registered from manufacture / whoever had it last. Failing that go into service mode and have a go it is very easy. I have disconnected the sensors for auto convergence as I no longer require it and it is eaier to take the screen apart. Let me know how you get on.