1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KP44ps2 / KP44px2 or Tosh 42PW23????

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by marshy.dave, Feb 19, 2003.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend which Rear Projection would be the best to buy??

I have a budget of £2000 and am only interested in the best picture quality

Thanks,

Dave...

2. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you should trust only your eyes!

Mine's said: 44PX2

3. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    mine said kp44px2 as well:smashin:

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure the Sony is good, but with all this Sony QC problems I opted for the Toshiba 42PW23P. Very happy with it.

It's cheaper than the Sony as well.

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had tosh, panny and now sony px2. This one has been by far the best

shaun:smashin:

6. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where have you all put your center speakers

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My centre is too heavy for the top- so I've placed the centre in front of the set, just under the screen.

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My centre speaker is pioneer and is light and slim. Sits on the top of the set no problem.

shaun

9. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went 42pw23p (see http://homecinema.2ya.com). I also went FS2 speaker route which fits nicely (see my site again). I got the Mission stands for the front pair and they look the dogs next to the TV...

10. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    KP44-PS2, for sure! Its the better quality version of the PX2 and if your quick you can get a graded one from robert whyte like I did for about a grand! This is by far the best TV and best value from what you have listed, this leaves you £1000 spare to spend on the rest of the home cinema goodies:clap:

11. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does it mean by graded stock.

Secondly are you sure the PS2 is better than the PX2.

Looks wise the PX2 beats the PS2 10 fold. Face on the PX2 looks like a Plasma TV.

I'm about to buy a PX2 but will def look into the PS2 further although it would have to be alot better to sway me.

12. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    The PS2 looks much much much better than the PX2, I too was deciding between the 2 TV's, when I found the PS2 for £999 (rrp £2800). Its much better built using higher quality materials, looks lots more modern and classy than its cheaper brother the PX2.

It includes the DRC 100htz, this makes a bad signal better and was left off the PX2 to save money. Basically the PX2 was a budget version of the PS2 that was released due to the Toshiba RPTV's being lots cheaper than the £2800 that the PS2 costs.

Graded= stock that was deemed faulty on delivery hence sent back to Sony to be made right, after this it is sold through various channerls but legally cannot be sold as brand new, mine was perfect (they come with sony 12months warranty)

13. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "looks lots more modern and classy"

you sure you dont actually have a PX2;)

I suppose each to his own. Anyway thanks for the info, I will definitely have another look at the PS2 at the Sony Centre. The last time I visited I simply walked past the PS2 whereas the PX2 made me stop and look more closely.

Still at an RRP of nearly £3K it is definitely one to consider. However, I'm not sure about this graded malarky. Not sure if I have the confidence to commit to one of these because it is essentially second hand.

14. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    LOL @ Second hand, Seriously if you saw mine removed from the box a couple of weeks ago on day of delivery You would not know it was graded. Looks feels and is to all sense and purposes brand new. In fact probably better than a new shop stock one as no real chance of teathing troubles as it has just been checked over By SONY themselves.

On the question of looks and quality etc, not just being biased, the PX2 is made of flimsy plastic and feels very cheap compared to the PS2 , just have a good old poke and prod at a PX2 and you will soon see what i mean.(are you sure it was a PS2 you looked at?) The all silver front including glass and tiny border around the PS2's screen gives it looks to die for, where as the PX2 kinda looks all plastic.

Not saying the PX2 is a bad TV, just kinda wondering whats the point spending more on less of a TV?

15. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    [​IMG]

16. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still personally think the PX2 looks sexier.

However I'm in the market to get 2 TVs. Was originally going to get a PX2 and a FX66. Since PS2 only £1K might now consider PX2 and PS2. In your opinion does the PS2 have a better picture than the PX2. I remember the review of the PX2 saying it was the best RP TV on the market. Before this it was the TOSH which leads me to believe that the mags thinks the Toshiba RP TVs are better than the PS2.

17. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    Heres the review (at £2800)

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Televisions/Sony/SonyKP-44PS2U.php

As far as the best picture between PX and PS I think the screens are basically the same, just that the PS2 has more features (DRC) for getting the best out of a bad signal.

Of course looks are a personal thing, not saying by any means that the PX2 is ugly, I just think the PS2 looks a a couple of steps up in the style and price stakes (it looks more like a £2000 TV than a PX2) Remember I was gonna buy a PX2 cos I thought the PS2 was out of my price range.

I think you will be happy with either and like you say at £1000 its cheaper than a similar spec 32" :eek:

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Sony give you a V sign for buying graded stock though? Sony CS is flaky at best, but once you buy refurbed products - well I wouldn't like to guess.

Toshiba 42PW23P- £1050.

Sony 44PX2- £1600 (new, not refurb)

£500 worth the extra 2"? How is the 100hz though- does it introduce artifacts (pixellating, shimmering etc?)

Nathan

19. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    The 100htz with the DRC switched on is totally fantastic on my PS2, no shimmering etc, totally sharp picture from edge to edge, no faults and perfect geometry.

Can't really comment on PX2 as I believe the DRC makes a big difference.

A little comment on the toshibas, allthough widely regarded as pretty good TV's I really could not have something that ugly in my living room, they just look like they have been removed from a pound a pint working mens club! All that minging grey fabric on the front is just horrible and from what I have seen the picture isn't a patch on the PS2.

As far as Sony CS, I have used them for a few queries about the set but not had any need for anything else, I guess only time will tell, but like I said you get the normal Sony UK warranty so its no different to buying a new shop stock one in that respect.

20. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 does not look better ha ha. The PX2 had DRC left out as this was partly to blame for scrolling bars. Also it made the PX2 a more competitive price. Build quality is exactly the same as its the same materials. Apart from a couple of minor differences they look the same. I prefer the look of the PX2 as it does not have 2 little feet either side at the bottom. It has a longer one. It also has the speaker cabinet the same size as the screen which i thinks looks better too. Both great sets. If you can get a graded PS2 for £999 go for it. I certainly would not pay £1000 more for the PX2. I had to as it was an exchange. The PX 2 has features that the PS2 doesent anyway. ie Some sort of mirror and somthing else to do with convergence. I rate them the same only the PX2 looks better:D

21. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I had 2 sony FX66 tvs and 1 FQ 75. The PX2 beats all of them on picture quality. very sharp and clear. I also had 2 panny rp sets and a tosh RP set. The PX2 beats these too. Beast tv I have ever had.

22. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Delivered yesterday.Graded Sonykp44ps2 from Robert Whyte. Can confirm what newbeetle has said. The TV looks and plays perfectly. An absolute steal at this bargain price.:smashin:
    I also think the PS2 looks better than the PX2.
    No accounting for taste i guess.

P.S. In danger of starting a newbeetle fanclub here but a final thank you for putting me on to this bargain.:clap:

23. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    Glad you got sorted :clap:

It really is one of those bargains that rarely come along.

Fan club? noooooooooooooooo:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just glad to share the good news :hiya:

24. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had mine ps2 for a week now ,and i still over the moon with it.and every one said that it looks like a plasma on a tv stand.

25. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    newbeetle
    what is it like if you sit off centre I am thinking of getting one however I will be sitting about 40d-60d off centre. any help you can offer would be very nice.
    john

26. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    Its very good in that respect, obviously the angle thing is better the further away from the TV you are.

Viewing hight is more critical with this set, but I often watch lying on my belly on the carpet and its watchable just a little darker.

27. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anybody tell me if the ps2 screen is as reflective as the px2,the px2 screen seems as reflective as glass especially when compared with the screens of Toshiba RPTV's.

28. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's looks and reflects like glass.

29. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    Dunno mine is in bay window with its back facing the sunlight,I don't get many problems with lamps and lights reflecting? definately not as bad as with my last Sony CRT TV.

30. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find my PX2 just as reflective as my crt sony tv downstairs. I had the tosh rp before this and although it was very good it had the following problems. these are common to the tosh set

right of screen was a browny colour. Only really visible on a b/w film

static bar on the left of the screen

My Sony PX2 has none of these.. I cant fault it at all. Great tv:smashin: