1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLW 50-2 LCD Rear Projection.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wiseguy, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Wiseguy

Wiseguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fair amount of HC kit and a large R1 DVD collection and have always prided myself on researching well and buying the best kit for what I can afford. However I am beginning to feel that I may have let myself down a little with the purchase of the above TV a year ago (I knew buying a set without the benefit of a HCC review was a bad idea!). I wanted as big a rear projection set as possible to be the screen in a HC set up and I had narrowed it down to this set and the 47" Panasonic. I discounted the 56" Toshiba because it was just too bulky for the room and the 40" Sony & Toshiba were not big enough screens although the reviews were favourable. The Sony had a better picture in the tests I had done in various shops and of the 5 or 6 shops I went to, they recommended the Sony first (not just beacuse it cost more!). I also chose the Sony because I had never been let down by any of the many products of theirs I had bought before. Now I have had the set a year I am beginning to doubt myself, the size is great (I would not swap back for my old 32" widescreen in a million years) but the picture does not do enough justice to DVD playback (the only reason I bought the set), scenes outdoors or in daylight with bright colours are rendered really well but the rendering of black is starting to annoy me and also the playback from DVD's with bad transfers is highlighted by the set far too much (the more cinematic experience of the set took my attention away from picture limitations for a while I think). I know RP sets aren't as good as CRT sets but it seems to be too much of a differance now. Does anyone own this set? and is so what do you think?, is this the case with most RP sets or have I just bought a bit of a dud?. I am going to look at some new sets after Christmas, the 47" Panasonic again after reading comments on this board, the new 46" & 56" Toshibas and the Hitachi models to see if it is worth cutting my losses and selling my set and buying a replacement. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I had the 37" version (identical except for the screen and mirror) for 3 years and was always extremely happy with it. I only traded it when I went for a front projector (also a Sony).

You're right about black levels - they aren't as good as CRT sets. However, I got used to it (most CRTs have too much contrast anyway). Where the LCD excels over ALL CRT-based TVs is in geometry and convergence (which should be near-perfect and won't drift out of adjustment) and in consistency of image size. This last point plagues all CRT sets to a greater or lesser degree - where the size of the image changes slightly with brightness.

The reason I chose the Sony LCD in the first place was because I find these 3 things to be hugely annoying - much more so than the reduced contrast.

As for revealing poor discs, I suspect the following:

1) A large screen will always be less forgiving than a small one.

2) The presence of a visible line structure on a CRT set gives the *false* impression of focus/sharpness. You can see the lines clearly and your eye (mis)interprets this as focus/detail. The LCD effectively interpolates the line structure, making it all but invisble. However, with a relatively coarse image (especially non-anamorphic discs) you *percieve* this as soft focus. I think it's all down to limitations in the PAL or NTSC TV signal.

In short, whatever you use will be a compromise. Which compromise you find least annoying is up to you. For me, the Sony LCD was the best TV around, and the new Grand Wega 50" is even better.

------------------
    You should not drink and bake.....

3. Wiseguy

Wiseguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel I appreciate your comments. I am going to look at a few of the sets I mentioned but I will only change if it really is significantly better. I do like the set, as I said it is superb for brightness and vivid colours it just loses out on blacks and poor source material. I have seen the Grand Wega and it is well out of my price range (it is double what my 50in cost), ah for the day I have a projector and screen !!!