1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLVL32M1S or Philips 32PF9976

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andrewc, Feb 12, 2005.

1. andrewc

andrewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have few weeks in some sort of dream land. I want to buy a 32" LCD (£1500 to £2000), but each time I go to Comet, Currys, etc and ask for help, all I get is 'this one looks nice'. When I start asking what I believe are simple straight forward questions, they return to the kettle aisle! :mad: . I want to give these guys money and they seem unable to do the basics!!!

So can anyone help me? Having trawlled the web for the past few weeks I have narrowed it down to Sony KLVL32M1S or Philips 32PF9976.

Any comments?

Also is HDMI really important (excuse my ignoance!!)?

2. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u have between 1500.00 - 2000.00 then get the philips 329986 u can get it for about 1800.00 now.
    there's a long thread abourt it.

would also recommend a toshiba 32wl48p which costs about 1300.00 and has a hdmi socket.

hdmi or dvi is only important if you want your tv to be future proof and be compatible with sky high definition tv.

dvd wise i haven't seen any proof that hdmi/dvi is much better than component.

3. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way, there are many places much better than comet and curry's to buy this tv from.
    in my experience these 2 shops are usually more expensive, charge a fortune for extended warranty and take ages to deliver.

i recommend u try www.empiredirect.co.uk for starters.

4. andrewc

andrewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I must admit I wasbeen heading toward the 9986, but some of the comments I have seen recently make an issue of the noise from the ambient lighting. So this was why I ws looking at the 9976.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Comet and Curries! It terrifies me that these people are responsible for a high proportion of peoples introduction to the world of LCD's. Their ineptude is beyond comprehension..don't get me started!

What Chris has said is right enough. The rewards available in getting a good 9986 are well worth the risk in getting a faulty one. Just remember that on this Forum we are dealing with the people who have problems with their sets and rarely hear from the hundreds of, presumably, contented 9986 customers.

Your initial choice was between the Sony and the Philips 9976. Both very capable sets.

The Sony, however will be unable to recieve Sky's High Definition broadcasts they will introduce in 2006. This will be the next great revolution in TV technology and to buy the Sony is to turn your back on this breakthrough.

The Philips 9976 & the 9986 are ready for this technology and have arguably the best Picture Quality of any of the current crop of LCD's - although it is quite close between Philips, Sharp and Loewe. The 9976 can be found for £1300 online and the 9986 £1800+.

There is plenty information within these forums on both of these TV's, especially the 9986, but you'll notice a complete dearth of information on any Sony, due to their HiDef incapabilities.

Shop around, both Chris and I got ours from Empire Direct, but they are available from many sources at similar prices.

Jimmy