1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV32M1 or Panasonic TX32LXD1?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by BillSykes, Jan 12, 2005.

1. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Greetings enthusiasts,

My first post, please forgive any breaches of etiquette.

I have a dilemma and this seems the best place to ask for help. Truly a wonderful, helpful forum.

I have £1,500 burning a hole in my pocket and an LCD screen somewhere out there desperate to improve my life. Plasma is lovely but way too big for my room. So, I have narrowed my needs down to a 32" LCD. I have found both the Sony KLV32M1 and the Panasonic TX32LXD1 for around £1,500 which, for my pockets, is a blessing. So, which is it to be?

I have a Sony DVD-NS955V, Bose 5.1 system and a dts amplifier to connect up along with my essential Playstation 2.

I have seen the Panasonic connected up through progressive scan and was impressed with the output. However I didn't get the chance to try a really dark image (just the Shrek dvd they had in the store).

This weekend I am to try out the Sony with my PS2 and choice of DVD's (again linked up by progressive scan). The DVD selection will be dark (Fellowship of the Ring "Oooh, how dark it is Frodo. Blimey can you hear wings? Ouch! I've been stabbed!" ) as I understand this can be difficult for an LCD to reproduce? Also the PS2 game will be fast and colourful (Burnout 3 "There is no wrong side of the road! Hello, is that the RAC?") as I understand this could be equally difficult for an LCD to reproduce?

On paper I am leaning towards the Sony because it comes in black, isn't as wide and is the same make as my DVD (Blimey, how technical I have become!). But, I do not want to make a schoolboy error if the Panasonic is the better choice to make.

Any help, advice, guidance or even abuse will be received/considered gratefully.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  2. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    wait until philips pf9986 comes down to this price
    im sure it wont be long ,robert whyte have it for £1860 ish with 5 year warranty
    (warranty worth £299 i reckon)
    if you read other posts on this lcd you'll see why

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OR...as per other threads....

The Philips 32PF9976 which is very closely related to the 9986 with only the absence of the Ambilight and PP2. (The 9976 has PixelPlus1) £1400+ Amazing value.

Word of warning. The Panasonic has no facilities for future High Definition TV broadcasts and the Sony is similarly bereft of these connections. Avoid these - unless HDTV is of no interest to you.

The 9986 is the daddy of them all, so wait a while for price drops if you want. It might be worth it.

Jimmy

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like the Philips PF9986 is the favorite now.

I've read the reviews and they all look promising.
    (I see that the Sony is preffered to the Panasonic too!)

But, I'm still left with a dilemma as I want to use progressive scan from my DVD and there seem to be major difficulties in doing this with the Philips.

I will insist that any test set up by a shop is done in progressive scan before I view the PF9986. Hmmmm, from reading the threads on the subject that should be daunting for the shop and amusing for me . . . ?

Many thanks for the advice.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Using Progressive output into the Philips was a bit of a problem with the early models last Autumn. All the new ones work fine. Check back of TV for v2.1 on sticker. Shop display models may be v1.3. which don't do Progressive.

Yeah, I can see the spotty yoof in the shop setting that up for you! That would be amusing....

Let us know your progress.

Jimmy

7. BillSykes

BillSykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that jimsan, I shall look for the sticker when I start my hunt this weekend.

It definately looks like the Philips is the LCD of choice and that means that my original post has been answered (ie. NOT the Sony or the Panasonic).

Thanks for the help I will keep updating but, . . . don't hold your breath this could be a long drawn out process . . . Those poor, poor shop assistants how will they cope ;-)