1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV26HG2 - did NOBODY buy this?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Oct 13, 2004.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm really curious to see a review or other user's opinions of this set (I adore mine) and can't believe that there are none to be found? Anyone?

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Considered it, but decided eventually that it was too expensive, had a 15:9 (1280 by 720), screen res, and not enough connections. Though I may well have got one if I'd had the money. Went for Toshiba's WL46 because it had 16:9 res, (1366 by 768), 2 component, 3 scart (2 RGB), was 720p/1080i hi-def capable, but most importantly was roughly £350 cheaper. Much prefer the look of the Sony though, and PQ is supposed to be higher I think. Not sure. Still, Toshiba got 5/5 in most mags and I'm happy with it. :)

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Good to hear - for the record, the KLV26HG2 is also capable of 720p and 1080i.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Do you know, it really did come down to price. Sony has been my preferred manufacturer when it comes to tvs' for 10 years. In that time I've had 2 Sony's, (14" + 21"). Convinced my parents to buy 32" crt SONY set. I do think that they've been caught up know. Though for style I much prefer the 26" Sony lcd to the Tosh. If only it'd been a bit cheaper, or had had 2 component and 2 rgb. What with Skys' hi-def in 2006, the 2nd component will be useful. :)

5. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lyris

Glad to hear you're happy with yours. I'm planning on (eventually) buying a 26" or 32" LCD and did initially consider the 26HG2. However, after looking at it in 3 different official Sony shops I was seriously disappointed with the picture quality. I'm guessing that the default settings are not very good and you've had to tweak yours? I noticed lots of dot crawl, poor depth, weak blacks and movement was awful. Where did you demo yours? I'd like to see one that is set up properly (preferably alongside the Toshiba).

6. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    fordster

saw one for the first time last weekend and the pic quality across the Sny displays was pretty variable/poor. Then the salesman turned to an anlogue TV signal (no digital instore) and the PQ was terrific. Perhaps the setup was poor on the ones you saw?

7. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps, although you'd expect a Sony store to be fully trained on how to set up the equipment. The 1st store (Leeds) is usually pretty good at this as when I demoed the old 32T2S plasma a while ago it looked superb. They were running a DVD (X-Men) rather than a TV signal so I would have expected that to be the best option?
    The 2nd store were just running a demo disc and the colours looked washed out so I am fairly sure they had jsut taken it straight out of the box and plugged it in.
    The 3rd store was showing the Spiderman DVD but nearly every TV in the shop looked cr*p so probably was set up badly.
    You'd think stores would learn to set up equipment properly or do they just assume people will come in and buy one because they've read a good review?

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Who knows...

I had a look at it in John Lewis, it was a toss-up between it and the (slightly) more expensive Sharp 26"/27" model (can't remember the name) and I chose the Sony because I noticed it had much smoother deinterlacing. They were using a fuzzy analog antenna TV signal on the sets so I took my own DVD player and cables. I definitely agree that it's very limited on the connections side though - only 1 RGB SCART and 1 Component, but it seems that on some of the less large European LCDs you're lucky to get component at all (an utter disgrace if there ever was one).

Trails: not usually, but on thick blacks and whites I have definitely noticed it.

As for dot crawl - I actually can't say too much about this because I presume you're talking about a PAL signal. I use Freeview connected over S-Video so I don't use ANY analog PAL signals at all (apart from the occasional Laserdisc). It seems to me that composite PAL is much harder for any comb filter to deal with, since the crawling patterns are much smaller than on NTSC.

However I've watched some NTSC LaserDiscs (LDs use composite video) and as a test I've connected my DVD player over Composite video and I actually laughed at how good it looked! Dot crawl was GONE and the picture wasn't even too much of a step down from Component!

As for bad black level - as LCDs go I wouldn't say this is bad at all. The Philips 26" set my dad has (can't recall the model number, sorry) has a significantly worse black level than this. I wasn't expecting for it to look good out of the box (does any TV?), and the preset modes on the TV such as "Live" and "Movie" do look pretty crap with Edge Enhancement blown to high hell... it seems that Joe Public perceives this as a "good, sharp" picture.

Are there any reviews of this TV online?

9. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought a Toshiba 26WL46 on Friday for £899 from Powerhouse. They only had an anolgue signal going to this and the Sony next to it. To me the Tosh looked much better, the colours were much better, Sony sets always look too washed out for my taste (CRT and LCD). Got them to hook up a cheap(ish) Sony DVD player which they put Star Wars Episode 1 on to the Tosh and the blacks were fine and there was no smearing. After that didn't even consider the Sony at it was £1600!