1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV17HR

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aks, Mar 11, 2003.

1. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just think of buying an LCD TV, rather than monitor and separate tuner (i.e. in a PC). The Sony looks good, and picture looked good at JL too. Other consideration was Panasonic TX15/22, but one is small, the other is expensive, so Sony for just over £1000 is looking favourite.

Does anyone have one of these?
    What's it like in real life use?

Does anyone know where to get the specs (online)?

Cheers
    Tony

2. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 4:3 version of this set, previously I avoided LCD TV's because of visible pixels, something that is invisible on the Sonys. I think the Sonys are without doubt the best LCD TV's on the market, the quality is incredible, in fact I went out and bought another one and have since been amazed by the price drops in onlyu a few months they are now half of what I paid. It is worth bearing in mind that the same sets are HD compatible in the US, proving that the internal electronics of this set is top notch. I would buy 1 16:9 one too if it was available in black (for some reason the widescreen 17" is available in silver only). RGB direct are selling the 4:3 version for only £639 now. This set is the BEST! you cannot see the pixels!!

Simon

3. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Got the manual direct from Sony today.

Found out that it uses Si TFT active matrix, but don't know how that compares with the Sharp Aquos which has an ASV (Advanced Super View) TFT screen.

Still have not found out viewing angle or response times, but want one very soon anyway!

Should be able to get the KLV-17HR1S 17" 16:9 for ~£1025.

4. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony has something called "Pixel Works Processing" - just look at the Sharp's yourself, you will see a screen full of visible pixels, the Sony's have invisible pixels and a supersharp picture, almost 3D.

RGB input is best

Simon

5. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, What Video Widescreen Entertainment reviewed the KLV-17HR1S in the March issue.

I can only find the April in the shops now :(

Does anyone know where I could get this?

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I can scan it and send it to you if you like... let me know to which address...

7. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got a Sony HS10 projector and I'm after a small TV for watching newsnight, kids DVDs etc. the Sony KLV-15SR was the only LCD in John Lewis that was at all watchable, the other LCDs to be honest I'd have described as 'poor' if they were £200 - let alone £600 - £700. when I bought the HS10 I got a deal on a Samsung 15" LCD TV but thought the quality (colours and even more obvious the incredible sluggishness of the screen) was so poor that I got a refund a day later.

Two questions:

my idea is to park a small pc in the cupboard under this telly and network it to the main pc so that I can check the emails from the lounge rather than going up to the office. Does anyone know whether the sony KLV-15SR has a normal VGA plug as well as the normal aerial, s-vhs etc? I couln't find it referred to on any of the info on the various web sites.

the much cheaper alternative is to get a pro-v and a new decent ish monitor (Hitachi and Iiyama currently seem to have the quickiest response times). Anyone got any experience of these in comparison to regular LCD TVs.

cheers
    Phil

ps - one other point, for small TVs I generally prefer 4x3 rather than 16x9. If I go for 16x9 either the normal 4x3 picture is smaller, or if I get the equivalent of a 15" 4x3 the telly ends up as wide as a regular 20" telly, not my idea of small.

8. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharpness and picture quality is fantastic, there are video inputs only, no computer input. I have just seen the 17 inch widescreen version is now available in black at PRC.

9. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that the black 17" model became available last week too, but funny enough silver is suddenly difficult to get!

I have one reserved at the moment at JL, but haggling on price match. As silver is now out of stock in most places, JL have rejected my claim. However, I have raised two points:

a) Last Tuesday whan this started, stock was available.
    b) As I had to phone around again, I've found it even cheaper!

I thought of going for the PC / LCD monitor / Pro-V receiver, as I'll have all this equipment in close proximity anyway, but I'm not sure how well an LCD monitor compares to LCD TV. CRT Monitor designs (electronics) tend to not work well for TV/DVD playback, but I just don't know about LCD designs.

I'm hoping the Sony LCD TV is *much* better to watch than an LCD Monitor/Tuner combination (especially as the price premium is so big). Anyone compared the two methods?

10. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rediculous - Costco have the 15SR1 (silver 4:3 sony LCD) for £579 inc VAT. (RGB direct have it for £639 if you're not a Costco member)

I paid £1200 in December, then bought a second one just a month ago for £880

Depressing.

STILL THE BEST QUALITY LCD ON THE MARKET

11. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aks, it's two weeks since your last post so you may have already got hold of a KLV-17HR1. If so, I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago having been impressed by the picture quality I saw demonstrated in the shop (using a DVD as the source). Extremely sharp and bright colours, compared to other LCD TVs I'd seen. Since using it at home I have been a bit disappointed.

The viewing angle is OK horizontally, but vertically, it's a different story.

Looking downwards at the screen the colours go washed out and the picture seems more blurry, similar to what you get when viewing some PC LCD screens from above or below. It is, however, watchable.

If you look at the screen from any angle below the horizontal (looking upwards at the screen) the picture is awful. All the colours seem to turn to browns or black - unwatchable.

This is a minor gripe compared to the problem my set seems to have with synchronization of picture with sound. On any source, through any input connection, the picture lags behind the sound. It's only a split second lag but it's noticeable and irritating. I've compared it to a CRT receiving the same signal and the sound output from both TVs is in synch but the picture on the LCD TV lags behind the CRT. It may be just my set - I'm having difficulty convincing my retailer that it's a problem and Sony support were no use.

I assume it's down to the amount of processing that has to be performed on the input signal to display it on the higher resolution of the XGA display. If so, why can't the sound be delayed so it is in synch?

12. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sync on mine is perfect through the scart input and a split second behind on ariel input (which I don't use). Also, I use my TV with a seperate amp and speakers (always better) and have no problems with this. I have no problem with viewing angles at all, the TV tilts too, this is just a limitation of LCD technology that horizontal angles can affect colours. I stand by my comments that the Sony Wega LCD's are the best on the market.

13. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonl - that's interesting. At the same time we bought the HS10 projector I also bought a Samsung 17" LCD TV. As I said in my post above the intention was to get a small telly that could also be used as a pc monitor. The Samsung was awful, the most annoying thing being the obvious sluggishness on the picture. It was most obvious on fast moving stuff like the footy, which just turned into a smear. However I was sure that there was also a small but noticable general delay which on newsnight etc made the picture look a bit out of synch. Like you said if it's so obvious it must be predicatble and therefore why can't there be a small delay in the audio to compensate.

Seems to me that LCD tellys are just not quite there yet, almost but not quite. Maybe in 6mths to 1year ?

Out of interest has anyone compared the pro-v and a decent LCD monitor to any of the current decent real LCD TVs?

Phil

14. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing I would add - comparing CRT and LCD is like comparing chalk and cheese (you will see TV lines with a CRT and none with an LCD) also, there is the size advantage and power consumption of LCD but the picture looks different, a more digital quality than CRT, however CRT is sharper and faster refresh rate. Overall I think for quality purists CRT still rules but the future is definately LCD. It's a shame that plasma does not deliver the qualiy of either yet.

15. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also stress that the Sony Wega LCD's are far superior to Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic - anything else on the market. With RGB input from Sky Digital or DVD you will see NO PIXELS - a huge problem with all other models.

16. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL managed to mess up my order completely, so I still do not have this TV.

Sounds to me like they've saved me a lot of money and trouble ;-)

I'll re-visit this issue in a few months, unless the monitor/pro-v yeilds better results. Ultimately, LCD technology has it's limitations, which I see everyday with my laptop PC!

It's a big price premium to pay for a sharper, but generally lower quality image, i.e. colour, viewing angle, etc.