1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV132M1 set up?????

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Tonester, Apr 11, 2005.

1. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get mine tomorrow with my Sony RDRGXD500 DVD recorder too boot!

Anyone out there with this set got any set up suggestions?????

Seen plenty "set up" posts for the 9986 and the Tosh 32wl48 etc, and wondered if there was any 32m1 owners out there with some usefull tweeks to save me some time tomorrow!

2. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry I'm a bit late, but anyway... Here are the settings I'm currently using with different sources (thankfully the TV remembers the settings for each individual input.)

TV (Analogue RF!)/Game (PS2&Xbox RGB SCART)/DVD (Component Progressive)

Picture Adjustment:
    Contrast: 71/84/70
    Brightness: 52/48/52
    Colour: 20/22/24
    Sharpness: 23/28/37
    Backlight: 6/6/6
    NR: Auto/Off/NA
    Dynamic Picture: On/Off/On
    Colour Tone: Normal/Normal/Normal

Features:
    Power Saving: Reduce/Reduce/Reduce

Some things to bear in mind:
    Firstly, I don't claim these are the definitive settings or anything, just what I'm happy with at the moment. No calibration DVDs have been used.
    Secondly, I'm quite short-sighted, so sharpness levels that work for me may be a bit OTT for you... ;)
    Lastly, and most importantly, if I don't set the Backlight and Power Saving settings to certain values, then the TV whines quite loudly!
    If you want to copy these settings but don't have this problem and/or don't want "Power Saving" coming up on the screen every time you change channel, then ignore the Power Saving mode and try setting Backlight to 1 or Min.

3. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey - you must be the only other person on this forum with a Sony.

Thanks for your reply again. I'll try all of these settings tonight.

Quick two questions though. Are you saying that you can tweak each of the inputs to a personnal setting each and it will remember them. I take it you must be able to save the "personnal" setting whilst viewing each component on the screen or something. I only got the thing yesterday so excuse me for sounding thick but I just assumed that the "personnal" setting would be a one fits all kinda thing.

Also - I'm sure my DVD outputs prog scan. I've got the DVD set up with the component leads but I'm a little confused over teh progressive scan thing. Is it a setting withing the DVD? progessive scan on/off type of thing?
    Or is it automatic when componet is used?

Thanks again.

4. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    note to self:- must use spell check before hitting "submit reply".

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Nope. I have a KLV26HG2.

Yep, it remembers the different settings for each input.

It's not automatic - has to be enabled. It'll probably be a menu option, or maybe a switch on the actual player.

As for settings, I find that turning Power Saving mode on my 26HG2 on and then dialing the Backlight up gives a black level that I much prefer.

6. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mad Jack -
    tried the settings quickly last night and can't say that they made a massive impact to the picture to be honest. Was kinda hoping for a wow factor.....however I moved the TV back about another 2 ft from my seating position and the picture seemed to greatly improve - seems I'm sitting a tad too close.
    But I Will fiddle with the setting in more depth at the weekend when Mrs Tonester ain't banging on about watching the soaps every 30 seconds etc.

Lyris -
    So there should be a prog scan setting in the DVD player somewhere. I'll have a look tonight. What about the TV should both items need prog scan turned on or do I just set the DVD to prog scan and if DVD is outputting it and the TV can handle it - I'll get a prog scan image?

I might be missing summit obvious here but where is "power saving" in the settings? Can't say that I've noticed it - saying that I have menu overload at the mo. what with the TV and the gazzillion menus on that bloody DVD recorder/Freeview thing - my head is done right in.

7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well, I probably would have bought the Phillips 9986 if it hadn't been for a previous bad experience with the brand!

Are you absolutely sure that model's Progressive Scan capable? I see no mention of that feature on Sony's website: RDR-GXD500

Turning down the sharpness setting may make for better/closer viewing (I did say I was short-sighted). Actually, I'm sure someone around here set it to minimum for all inputs! :eek:

With my player (Sony DVP-930V/B) I can enable progressive via the menus or - if I remember right - force it via a switch on the back of the unit.
    If the TV recieves a progressive signal, then it should display it automatically. Mine displays 576p towards the top left of the picture; whereas if I set it to interlace it displays 575i.

Power Saving is at the top of the Features menu (fourth menu down).

I know the feeling... ;)

Hope that helps. :)

8. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer.....It's just not my week.

I kind of rushed in and bought the sony with free DVD recorder n 5 years warranty cos it was such a good deal (£1680 delivered) after far to long a wait for the Tosh 32wl48.
    It looks like the DVD recorder ain't prog scan after all - your quite correct. Stupid me - I mean who sells a bundle deal with a TV that does prog scan and a DVD that don't?????

And now to top it all off Digital Direct have just rang me and told me that the Tosh 32wl48 I had on order since end of Jan is now ready to be delivered - do I still want it?
    er...No! ....not now I've went out and bought a bloody Sony.

Live by the sword die by the sword....or summit like that.