1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Klv-s40a10

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by shashi, Aug 24, 2005.

1. shashi

shashi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all
    I was looking for a 37"-40" LCD and came across this sony.

SONY KLV-S40A10
    16:9, 101cm, WXGA, 1366x768, HD ready, HDMI, LCD-TV

http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_69461.html

available in about 40 days for only about £1500. it seems ever so cheap!
    Can not find much with a google search,but did read on home cinema news about a new "v" range of sony LCD`s.
    It sounds to good to be true and the fact that i can find no other info on the net.
    I was going to get the 37" Toshiba but i will be patient and wait a month.

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think this is the European version of the new KDL-S40A12. I believ the main difference is that it won't come with a digital tuner.

3. maddi

maddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my KLV-S40A10 a few days ago. So, here are my first impressions.
    I've chosen this model because it can handle/display analogue PAL quite well :smashin: . There are only a few LCD TVs which are actually useful for watching old TV. In the end, I was watching a SONY KLV-S32A10 and a Philips 32PF9830/66. The latter has a sharper and more detailed PAL pic, but some people find it a bit too artificial, and it certainly has it's own price category. A short look for the yet exotic KLV-S40A10 in the internet, and I found a dealer who had it on stock almost just around the corner :) . I got the SONY 40'' for the price of a 32PF9866 :thumbsup: .
    After tweaking the clearly arranged parameters I got a really good picture from analogue cable. Here are some tips for a good view :lesson: .

- watch the picture from about 3,5m.
    - turn the backlight to minimum to get a dark black
    - set power saving to 'reduce' to get a better black
    - you may turn colour tone to 'cool' to get a more neutral white
    - turn on noise reduction only if the channel's signal is strong enough to avoid smearing
    - set sharpness carefully, because it can worsen PQ dramatically if set to high
    - you may use a test DVD to improve brightness and contrast

The SONY has no DVI port. So, I used the VGA port to test it with my rather old graphic card in 1024x768 (native vertical max. of the SONY). And you really get an excellent picture. You can adjust phase and position for VGA signal. You can tell the SONY to enlarge vertically or horizontally if the vga resolution is less than the display's one.
    My VGA card is not able to produce a 16/9 pic. So, it would be interesting to know how the SONY behaves feeding it with analogue 16/9 native resolution (1366x768) from VGA. And what about the HDMI interface? Did someone manage to transmit 1366x768 from pc via DVI/HDMI?

I'm very happy with my new LCD. But remind, current LCDs are no CRTs. You have to make compromises regarding blacklevel, brightness and colour contrast. You would still see the difference between a very good LCD and a good CRT. There's still room for improvement.
    On the other hand you can actually buy a 40'' LCD - a 40'' CRT would be difficult. And finally, there are no annoying problems with geometry anymore with an LCD :) .
    And don't be shocked watching digital material. You may see any artefacts if badly encoded. I watched the 'coral reef' WMVHD demo (720p) from M$. It really is detailed and sharp, but it also has quite a lot of compression artefatcs. A CRT may absorb most of them in it's analogue mash.

4. valeriani26

valeriani26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: I bought it saturday afternoon!

can you give me more datails about the right setting of LCD Panel? (apart from the right viewing distance because I am 3 mt from the TVset!!! :eek: )

By the way before xmas I'll be able to connect PC via DVI-HDMI....