Sony KLV-S32a10 vs Samsung LA32M51bx

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by yasha, Mar 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. yasha

yasha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need your help to choose. SamSung got 3000 contrast vs. Sony's 1000
    i think that is the only difference

It is my first LCD so i'm hesitant to pay all this money without taking the right decision.

I'll use it at the main TV in my house, will connect it to my PC and my game consoles.
    I am in Dubai, so that might clear the difference in model number i think.

Thank you alot in advance. Any advice, help, experience sharing is appriciated

2. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You should probably do a quick forum search on the "Sony S", and the "Samsung M51".

The Sony S has had some mixed opinions with some people loving it whilst others have been somewhat less impressed (i'd tend to side with the people who are less impressed since i tested one in-store with an Xbox connected via RGB scart and found it to blur awfully). Most people seem to prefer the next model up in Sony's range, the 'V'. To complicate matters slightly Sony are about to release a new range sometime soon.

The Samsung M51 has also had some mixed opinions posted on here, with many people prefering the Samsung M61 model instead.

There are huge threads on both tv's (along with the other models in each companies range) with more info than you probably have the time to read.

One quick warning however. I wouldn't allow figures on things such as contrast ratio's to push me towards one tv over the other, as these (along with such things as response times etc.) are often made to look better than they actually are due to how the various manufacturers measure such things. Just because a tv looks to be far better when reading it's spec sheet, doesn't actually mean that in real life situations it is. If at all possible try to see them for yourself before buying, rather than buying whichever tv seems to have the better specs. Your eyes will always tell you more truthfully which is better than any list of specs you read.

Personally, i'd suggest also taking a quick look at the JVC, Panasonic, Loewe, and Sharp tv's, as each of those companies ranges have tv's which are as good as, or better, than the tv's you've already mentioned. But as usual personal preferences play a huge role in which tv a person prefers.

Anyway... Good luck. :)

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Apparently the Sony S screens use pretty bad panels so blur a lot.

Ignore those numbers - the "3000:1" contrast ratio is a marketing spin on Samsung's part. They mean "3000:1 with a lot of detail loss". Both screens probably have a similar ratio.

4. ohayo

ohayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..mm i thought the V .S and M series were used same pannel named P-SVA..they were produced together from S-LCD.ltd which was a joint-stock, and fonuded by sony and samsung. but the diffence is that the circuitry of the TV..like the contrast, actually the contrast was not changed by the pannel, was by process of the circuitry.

5. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think there was only one person who had a problem with the M51! And he found problems with all of his other TV's before and after his M51 ,tosh, JVC you name it he found problems and returned them! Most people however, like me, love there M51! Don't be fooled into thinking the M61 is much better than the M51 because of the Dynamic Contrast of 5000:1. DC is overated and if you listen to most people with Sammys, should be turned off as soon as you get the TV!

6. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

I don't think i'm being fooled by dynamic contrast ratings when i clearly told the OP to ignore such things... :confused:

I have seen more than one person on these forums return their M51, and i've seen many people consider it and then decide that the M61 looks better to their eyes. I'm not saying the M51 is no good (far from it), i'm just summarising the general views of all the posts on this forum i've read over the months i've been reading.

I wish people wouldn't be quite so defensive when someone makes a comment about a set they happen to own. I said it's had 'some mixed opinions' - not that it's rubbish to be avoided. I also pointed out that people in general seem to always be happy if they chose the M61, which is the view that comes across when reading the relevant threads (as i happened to have done as at one point i was considering the M51 myself!). And i also pointed out to the OP that there are several threads where they can read thoughts by people who own both models and make their own mind up.

7. yasha

yasha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all, i just closed the deal on a Samsung LA32M51BX for 1555 USD.

IS this a good price? i get with it a stand. thats it.

Bye