Sony KLV-L32MRX1 vs. KLV-L32M1

MikeGr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having investigated the specs of the Sony KLV-L32MRX1 and KLV-L32M1 screens some unexpected differences became apparent.

The MRX1 model has a 15:9 screen (1280 x 768), while the M1 has a 16:9 one (1366 x 768). Why has the cheaper model got the true 16:9 resolution? Is it a newer LCD panel?

The MRX1 has an external media box with built-in Freeview, a PCMCIA slot (why?) and a memory stick slot. I assume that this justifies the price difference.

Both screens use their Wega Engine picture processing, which should give identical pictures, except I would assume that the 15:9 set would have black bars at the edges.

Both screens are marketed as high definition compatible. As pointed out on other threads, neither have DVI or HDMI, so how can I make them display high definition TV or DVDs? Do the component video inputs handle high definition pictures (analogue I assume)?

All the magazines I've seen have reviewed the MRX1 but not the M1 model? Has anyone seen a review of the M1?

From what I can see, the M1 is probably the one to go for if you have Sky, i.e. no use for the Freeview tuner. You save a lot of money and end up with a better picture.

PCMCIA = for viewing pictures stuff off Compact Flash (CF), SD (Secure Digital), and other memory cards with an adapter on your tv.

Koing

Hmmm... I had similar thoughts. My overriding impression though is that MRX1 is a lot better looking than the M1!

Looking at the website I was comparing specs until realised that the M1 was an incorrect link as it started having plasma type values (http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...jector/TVP+Flat+Panel+TV&productsku=KLVL32M1S)

Does the M1 have a VGA port?

I think perhaps it is all about looks? They know with the MRX1 they have a beautiful design and picture that they know some people will pay extra for (like me!). However until recently the price was unreachable.

So they respond by releasing a set that is perhaps cheaper to make but has the same WEGA chip which everyone loves.

the pcmcia port in the mrx1 is for subscription channels on freeview. the memorystick video recorder is a bit of a gimick (well, certainly for normal memorysticks - it might be better for ms pro's). the picture capture is ok, but the video is pretty rubbish (unless you were to view it on a pda)

when watching 16:9 the mrx1 stretches (or squashes - depending on your point of view), the picture to 15:9. I certainly can't tell the difference, but perhaps if you had two screens side by side you could. Of course most DVDs aren't 16:9, so you're going to get black bars whatever the screen size.

i think the media box gives the mrx1 better connectivity, but having not seen the mr1 in the flesh it's hard to say for sure.
and yes, hi def can be achieved through a component connection, although we don't know for sure yet whether sky hd will offer this option

What else might sky offer as a connection?

Surely they will have component out on HD Sky boxes?

sky may (and this is total speculation and nothing more) only offer hd through a digital connection (eg dvi/hdmi) for copyright reasons. i hope not, else my mrx1 is going to be sold for another screen which is compatible.

i think the chances of sky doing that are slim, there are far too many hd ready tvs out there which don't offer digital connections, and they would be seriously limiting their audience base for something which they can charge a premium

ma94jcg - do you use Sky+ on yours? If so, how does it compare to equivalent channels on Freeview?

If there was such a thing, what would the quality through it look like?

i only have sky. i'm in a block of flats so no chance on sky+ :-(
the output from sky is not as good as freeview, but at the moment i'm not running on full RGB scart as i have a dodgy panasonic that doesn't work properly with RGB. I'm nicking my brother in law's old sky box next week so things should get better.

the sony has the vga port at the front of the mediabox (very very annoying as it means i won't ever have an hcpc running off it due to the ugly cabling), but i don't think running a digital output to the tv would work, i think a dvi cable can carry either a digital or an analogue signal, but only a digital signal can be encrypted (although i'm not no techie so you never know)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom