1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV-L32MRX1 Advice?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by troubler, May 3, 2005.

1. troubler

troubler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've been offered a Sony KLV-L32MRX1 ( the floating glass one, not the ugly one ) with SUMRL300 stand for about £850. My question is, is it worth it at this price point? My only worry is the lack of HDMI/DVI input, but after a bit of research it seems that most new gfx cards allow the outputting of HD via component out. Would this give an acceptable HD picture if I wished to use this screen for a HTPC? Would the differences between component and HDMI/DVI be noticable?
    I understand that I will not be able to use Sky HD with the tv, but to tell the truth im not really that bothered. To me, the sony floating design plasma/lcd's have always looked the best, and im guessing that HDCP will most probably be cracked/exploited within a year to two years ( research into the flaws in HDCP 1.1 have already been published ).
    Can any current owners of the 32MRX1 give any comments about the quality of the product and the devices PQ? At £850 including the stand which is normally £300+ im guessing its a better deal than any other 32" at that price range ( ie Sonix/Video7/Relisys/H&B )?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds like a good deal. It's a lot of TV for the money. You are right to have reservations though. It is seriously gorgeous, but is also somewhat crippled by its poor connectivity. It is unlikely to perform at all well with HTPC.

You may, however, be able to recieve a limited HDTV output from Sky over component and, as you have stated this is of little concern to you, it sounds like a fair price for what is an otherwise overpriced TV.

Jimmy

3. troubler

troubler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will I be able to export an image at 1280x720 to the screen and display hd material at it's native resolution or will the device be useless for displaying HD Divx/WMV ? I dont mind on loosing out to Sky HD content and commercial bluray/HD but im very interested in hooking up a HTPC for HD viewing ( and possible upscaling of Sky via SDI sweetspot at later date ). What are the disadvantages to using component out for HDTV material instead of an all digital connection?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds to me like you are quite hot with the old PC's. In that case this Sony is not going to help you out much. You really need digital connections to get your PC to perform properly.

The lack of digital feed also effects your PQ with SkyHD. Without it you'll be feeding it a signal that has arrived at your STB in digital, has been converted to analogue then re-converted to digital for the display. It'll be OK, but not as good as pure digital - and remember the analogue HD service is likely to be quite limited.

Check out the Hitachi 32LD7200 that has an increasing fanbase. It is pretty competent with PC feeds and seems to be a pretty good allrounder.

Jimmy