1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Klv-l32m1

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nigel, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Nigel

Nigel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi, this is my first time so please be gentle.

Good news is I've convinced my wife that we need a new flat screen tv for me and the kids. Bad news is I've started hearing about 'High Def' and got all confused and I'm not sure if I'm worrying about something or nothing.

I've been looking around for a few months and have decided that the Sony KLV-L32M1 seems to offer the best all round package for what I want (football/cartoon network etc) and my budget. However I'm concerned about the lack of DVI/HDCP connections and it only having Component Video Connections.

I have been told that when SKY begin High Def broadcasts next year, the tuners will have Componenent Video Outputs as well which I can connect up to the Sony and that I would not really be able to tell the difference anyway.

Can anyone tell me if the Component Video connections would be as good as the DVI/HDCP ones ?

Bottom line is would it be worth holding off buying the set until Sony start offering the new inputs ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nigel :thumbsup:

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Definitely hold off and get one of the new generation of screen that is coming out. All the major manufacturers have screens either just out or out in the next few months, and they will be fully HD ready with HDMI etc. The new generation all seem to be much cheaper too! :thumbsup:

HDMI is pretty important for Sky HD, as it has HDCP copy protection. It's likely you won't be able to view much HD content over component- stuff like movies are likely to require HDCP, and that means HDMI socket or a DVI socket that has HDCP protection.

My personal opinion: get one of these new screens, and stick to a 'decent' brand. I'm not dismissing every brand that's not Sony, Philips, Hitachi, Toshiba etc, but many of the reports of erratic screen behaviour seems to coincide with it not being a well-known brand.

matt

3. Nigel

Nigel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments matt. I will definitely hold of a bit longer now.

Cheers
    Nigel