1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV-L32M1

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by d'vo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. d'vo

d'vo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a local branch of Alders (of all places), and happened to catch a glimpse of the new Sony KLV-L32M1 and immediately fell in love. It seemed to produce the best image quality of the all the LCD machines on show by far - even though the Philips 32PF9986 and another Sharp 32" model (I've forgotten the exact model number), were playing directly feed DVD pictures (these were my previous hot favourites) - and the Sony was at a disadvantage by showing Shrek2 via some shared feed, and it still blasted them fair and square.

Now, this forum has been suspiciously quiet about the Sony KLV-L32M1 - perhaps a little too quiet. Have I missed a trick? The price seems to be right at £1700. I know it doesn't have HDMI/DVI etc which I am very annoyed about Mr Sony sir (especially as you gave it to the folks in the Good 'ol US of A) - but I think I can just about live without it.

My question boils down to this: has anyone got one up and running. Have any niggles come to light? Would anyone recommend over the obvious competitors e.g. Philips, Sharp & Toshiba? What is it like with those poor Sky/NTL channels?

2. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been very impressed witht his TV. I too share your opinion that it is the best quality. Bear in mind that the DVD source is probably excellent. ie a high bit rate well mastered modern dvd disc. Stick on a ropey old film and im sure it will start to fail, like most LCD's...

3. Cal

Cal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did loads of research, viewed every model at least twice in different stores with different sources etc etc.

LCD close up sucks compared with CRT, but when you get 6 feet away it is great.

The Sony KLV-L32M1 was the best one in my opinion - the sharp looked washed out - the panasonic styling is a bit too "dixons" and the colours were not great, the toshiba was really washed out.

I am very happy with it on my Sky+ box via RGB scart. Paid around £1650 and another £399 for a 5 year warranty - it's new technology so no-one knows what the long-term reliability will be.

On DVDs via component the picture sharpens further and is great.

On the X-Box via the component AV cable adapter it is also brilliant.

4. d'vo

d'vo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cal. Any idea of the response time? Is there any motion blur/ghosting with your Xbox?

5. Cal

Cal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry have not checked back sooner.

No ghosting on XBox - the picture from the XBox seems to be the clearest of any of them...

The only drawback is the component rather than HDMI for HD signals. However that is a disadvantage based on a maybe promise from Sky of HD in 2006 over protected HDMI only. Based on Sky's other launches don't hold your breath

6. Hobo4

Hobo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    May be a good picture - slightly lacking in contrast. However, think carefully before buying this set. NO COMPLIANCE WITH HIGH DEFINITION....at all!

Sony need a kick in the ........ It's also not very pretty....

Jimmy

8. jrs

jrs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How can you say that it doesn't have any HD compliance?
    Shouldn't a resoultion of 1366x768 be enough?

9. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,359
    He's probably talking about HD on Sky. See cals post.

10. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It won't comply with Sky.

Also it's likely that all HD might well need HDCP encyption. That can't be done over component only DVI/HDMI (unless you can find a non DVD forum player).

That being the case the Sony is NOT HD compliant. A huge stumbling block.

11. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very pretty eh?
    I think we all are allowed and must have different opinions,
    as I happen to think I looks a class above the rest.
    (apart from the other really expensive sonys)