1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KLV-L32M1 comments?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dave_e_field, May 24, 2005.

1. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one for £1245 so hoping that there's nothing bad I should know about this set.

Yes I know there's a lack of dvi/hdmi/pc connections but I a)only have NTL, and b)won't be connecting a PC. Hopefully the prog scan via component will be as good as some reviews suggest.

Does anyone out there in AV land have one of these sets?

If so, any comments/suggestions/info (settings?) would be appreciated.

2. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes, I've got one. :D

I made these posts in previous threads:

Hope that helps. :)

3. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

Bit concerned about the 'whine' you mention but after reading other posts (for the philips, hitachi and tosh) it seems to plague 32" lcds in varying degrees.

I've had a 24" wega CRT for 4 years now and it's been fantastic. Let's hope the LCD lives up to my expectations.

It looked good in the Sony Centre, who were still knocking it out for £2k.

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Plagues my 15" Sharp in my bedroom (unless it's set to "Bright") too! Someone mentioned it is something to do with regulating the voltage to the back light... I'm no electrician, I can't remember the exact terminology. It's probably the flux capacitor not reaching 88mph or something.

Basic point is that I don't think it's limited to 32" models.

5. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's the thingamagig overloading the wotsit.

:)

6. MegaTum

MegaTum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wotsits by their very nature cannot be overloaded.

They do however have a tendancy to be damaged in transit, which is what may have happened here...

Mind you, after spending over £1k on a TV I wouldn't be able to hear it's whine above that of the missus!

7. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Sony KLV32m1 for 2 months now and I'm honestly really pleased with it.

Initally I was a bit disapointed due to a few set up issues and the hope of the inital wow factor on plug in.

I had similar issues with the PS2 blurring as pointed out earlier in this post. But I change my leads on the PS2 and the picture became literally 10 times better (well maybe 3 times!). You still do get the odd "blur" with the PS2 but in my opinion I've really gotta look hard for it and I'd put myself down as a bit anal with regards to things like that - but the PQ is more than accepatble to fussy old me.

I did the usual and read review after review and comments after comments and went to shop after shop deliberating for months before I took the plunge.The Sony always looked the daddy in the shops to me and to be honest I'd been initially looking at the tosh 32wl48 after reading this forum but supply issues and the deal i got on the Sony made my mind up for me. In the end the Sony was too good a deal to pass up for what I required in an LCD. Yeah yeah I know the whole hdtv issue but i ain't ever gonna be a sky man so it wasn't an problem for me. I got mine for £1540 delivered with 5 years warranty and a "free" Sony RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder too at robertwhytesltd.com.

Initailly I was a bit dissapointed tho, but after buying some decent component leads and a decent scart I'm more than happy. DVD is amazing and truley flawless. yes black aren't true blacks but the wife won't notice the difference and it's an issue on all LCDs so you just accept it and get on with it from my point of view.

Cable TV and the Freeview via the DVDR is more than good enough for the average Joe and the analogue signal (with my new tv ariel mind!) is simply spot on! Certainly everyone who visits my house and sees the TV seems to be blown away too or perhaps they're all just being polite cos they all think I've went out and wasted my money???

Viewing distance seems to be the major issue as with all LCDs. Shove it right in the corner of the room and the PQ seems to be better - bring it a 1ft or two closer and start rubbing your eyes in disbelief at the picture sharpness.

Overall for what I paid and what I got - I'd recomend it to anyone. As long as your not a total fusspot and you know the issues (blacks, viewing distance) then you'll be blown away by the PQ. The colours jump out of the screen and the images look almost touchable.

Only issue I have it the DVDR is a tad worse than what I expected. No Prog scan which I should have realised (doh!) and the discs take toooooo long to load in etc for me - but it's got Freeview built in so you can't have everything!

anyhow I love my telly!

8. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV arrived at 8.30am this morning. Ordered from Digital Direct on tuesday who have been spot on. The finance only cleared yesterday so wasn't expecting to see the set until sometime next week.

Have so far tried it with NTL cable, xbox and dvd player thru cheap scart leads, and the results were very impressive. No ghosting or trails in action scenes (Star Wars EP V used) and the colour and clarity are superb. No complaints about the black levels either, and I didn't see any 'blurring' at all when i had Star Wars: Battlefront running on the xbox.

Will be hooking it up to my dvd via component over the weekend so will report back when i've had the progressive scan enabled.

There is a VERY slight 'whine/noise/buzz' from the set but it's only audible when the sound is muted. It seems to blight all LCD screens in one way or another so not bothered about it.

9. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never noticed a "whine" on my set. Even with the volume turned down. Maybe I'm just lucky???

I don't have an XBox but the blurring on the PS2 is basically very hard to notice and very very intermitant in my opinion. Some people get hung up looking for these issues rather than just sitting back and enjoying the thing.
    Not remotely an issue for me - but none the less - if you look hard enough and long enough you'll notice it.

I've got mine hooked up to a cable box and also freeview (intergrated with the DVDR) and the freeview picture is a little bit sharper and clearer in my opinion. Had a good fiddle with the cable box set to RGB etc and the set up menu in the tv and Freeview always looks best.

DVD's via componet look class! Even the wife reckons its worth the money now - and thats saying something!

Got a second crappy DVD player hooked up via scart (the wife can't use the new one yet - tool!) and even that looks class.

Not many Sony fans on this forum though is there????