1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV 32M1 series - a good buy or good bye!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by HHGTTG, Aug 3, 2005.

1. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I like the above LCD TV and cannot envisage needing HDTV as I won't be having any of the usual feeds i.e. Sky etc.

My current set up comprises an old CRT Trinitron Sony TV fed with a Freeview box and an 'average' quality DVD player for when I play the occasional DVD (haven't got any yet). Oh, and I also have a Sony VCR for the occasional recording.
    Basically, I want to continue as I am but had thought of buying the above Sony LCD TV as I was offered one at a reasonable price from my local Sony Centre. However I've been put off by reading too many forums!!

What is wrong with the above apart from the fact that it does not have HDMI inputs etc. Interestingly, my local Sevenoaks Hi-Fi rubbished Sony (in a way) and said that there were better sets around, namely Toshiba Stasia, Sharp and Panasonic etc. and other makes which were instore (obviously not Sony!)

Any views would be most welcome.
    :lease:

2. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The M1 is a fine set. But new sets (Panasonic 50/500 series - JVC DS6 series) best it in in terms of picture quality. Not just in HD but for broadcast and DVD as well. Sony are replacing the M1 with V series as of next week. All depends on what you're willing to pay. Right now the JVC LT-26DS6 is the best you can get for the money (around 1K). Happy hunting.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The JVC 32DS6 should be had for £1300 now - if you hang off 'til Oct/Nov, you'll find that'll have dropped a bit more as stock is plentiful, demand tailed off. By that stage, all the brands new models will be in the marketplace, and you'll have your pick.
    Don't discount the Sharp's - either GA6 or P50 (or iDTV equipped GD7) due in the coming weeks.
    Might even pick up a 37" for similar money a 32" cost's now.

4. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richersounds are advertising a 32 Sony for £899 is this a good buy?

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Richer Sounds doing a Sony LCD TV for £899? Must be old stock or refurb unit. A Sony for that money is hard to pass up, but bear in mind there are no free lunches.
    Personally, I'd no go for it, as new models released by everyone in the past 2 months and next month will be better again and HD Ready. Some brand's previous gen models may have been, but not guaranteed.
    At the end of the day, if you go into RS and look at the Sony, and it speaks to you, then go for it, but the alternative is to hang off a few more months (time to save a bit more or) when prices have dropped to their lowest level (probably), until sometime next year.

6. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    The Sony at Richersounds is the KLV 32M1 in the title of this thread :)

It has very good reviews but lacks both HDMI and DVI and has no DSub PC connection either.

It's a good purchase for now but not for the future due to the lack of the newer digital connections.

I'm tempted as I'm looking to replace the CRT in my computer room with an LCD TV and there are many glowing reports but as I'm going to be using my Xbox 360 and PS3 (after they're released) through any new TV I get I do want more connection options.

If you want to see some reviews for yourself go to the link below and choose the manufacturer etc.. that you want
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/index.php?category=LCDs

7. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The trouble is, in this business, is that there will always be something better than what is/was the latest one to have. It is impossible, I think, to have the definitive model. Perhaps in a few more years things will have stabilised somewhat. Anyway I'm not too fussed about all these special inputs as all I want to do is watch 'telly'.

I have changed my mind now and am considering the Toshiba 32WL56 which is supposed to be a very good LCD television (at least for the next few months!!!!), and has a neater cabinet with less surround.
    :D

8. mike80

mike80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey there!

About the same subject.

Think my parents are going to buy this one. They dont even have computer so can't imagine any use for DVI/HDMI right now.

How about future HD-boxes etc. Does they always support component I mean is it enough for them they really aren't perfectionists?

The price would be ~888GBP - it's ~1300€.