Sony KLV-32M1 HD or Not?

I think the argument about whether they are HD or not can be argued from both sides. I remember the arguments in the '90's that a 17" monitor measured just over 15" in diagonal yet the tube itself was 17" but hidden by the bezel... As long as individuals that buy them are clued up enough to make an educated decision that is what counts and resources like this forum help to educate. Unfortunately its a commercial world out there and if people want to spend the best part of 2-3000 on a TV without really reading up on the technology instead of relying on the 'salesmen' it is down to them.

Richard

Scrapbook,
Are they broadcasting anything worth watching, the point is the studios will be forcing HDCP on their new material.

jimg said:
Scrapbook,
Are they broadcasting anything worth watching, the point is the studios will be forcing HDCP on their new material.

Not really!:rotfl:

The issue raised in this post seems to revolve around whether Sony are wrong in advertising this TV as HD capable..personally I have no Sony gear and am not a great fan of theres, but ultimately this is a high definition capable panel.....or so Sony will argue.

There are potentially various other Manufacturers that you could have the same debate with..Pansonic, JVC etc etc. For some reasons manufactures appear to be have been caught by surprise by Sky's announcement, which is particulary strange when you look at the HDCP position in the US.

In hindsight it appears almost inevitable that sky would have to go down this route so it seems strange there there are reasonably few tv's out there with the required connections...Toshiba have one TV and other major manufacturers like JVC and Panasonic have none :eek: I am just glad I am not an early adopter of this technology.

The best course of action seems to be to sit on your hands for 6 months if you are looking for a new TV.

It is still possible that Sky may broadcast some material that is not HDCP and the actual take up ratio of HDTV is debatable at the mo...current picture quality is perfectly adequate for probably 95% of the population just as CD quality is adequate in comparison with DVD Audio/SACD

No need to 'sit on your hands' at all!

It is fairly clear what Sky are going to do and there are plenty 'proper' HDTV's available now. Just check the HDTV thread which lists them. My Philips 32PF9986 is fully ready to go!

Sharp, Thomson, Toshiba, Philips etc are all in the game and ready to play!

Bring it on....

Jimmy

Well your right..they are around...but i'm going to be sitting on my bum for 6 months. In theory as the product develops over the next few we should be getting much better value for money as technology and standards settle down.

Always difficult to judge the best time to buy as there is something better always around the corner, but it would be nice to connect my hd dvd, my cable box and my xbox2 to 3 hdmi connections at the back of the tv!

3 HDMI sockets! Now you're talking! Could take a bit more than a few months for that, unfortunately. In the meantime I'm quite content in the knowledge that I can either use a DVI or HDMI switcher or a AV Reciever thus equipped if I feel the need.

Jimmy

I too am angered that Sony are still spouting nonsense about the HDTV issue. I bought a Sony plasma earlier in the year believing (naively) that it was HDTV compatible. Obviously now know different but still p*ssed that Sony (no doubt one of the Content providers demanding HDCP...) are promoting the sets as HD ready.

I sent an email to Sony asking about their positioning and marketing of HD ready sets, also asked if they would produce a different input board to drive the screen - got this as a reply:

When stated on our sets that they are 'HD ready', this is the case as they can accept a high definition signal via component inputs and they have the necessary screen resolution. I am sorry if this causes any disappointment, however we will not modify existing models.

So there you have it, no HDTV for me unless someone comes up with HDMI->Component convertor. Also I guess that PS3, HDDVD, xbox 2 etc will all no doubt require HDMI connections.

Rich

Obviously now know different but still p*ssed that Sony (no doubt one of the Content providers demanding HDCP...) are promoting the sets as HD ready.

Funny you should say that but a news article in this months Home Cinema magazine entitled "Britain lags behind in race for HDTV - Sony urges UK broadcasters to speed up introduction of high-definition television" quotes Steve Dowdle, MD of Sony UK as urging British broadcasters and regulators to speed up the introduction of HDTV in this country.

Well Steve it looks like they've been a bit too quick for you and it's now you guys that are lagging behind :laugh:

We're considering the Toshiba 32" LCD, which I believe is HDTV-ready for when Sky start to broadcast HD in 06. Went to John Lewis in Milton Keynes where they told us they had a Sharp, Sony and Tosh on display. No Tosh unfortunately (lots of apologies), but I really like the picture , sound and looks of the Sony. Sticker says it's HD ready, I quizzed the salesman who said it does'nt have an HD connection unlike the Sony 42" plasma, and would therefore simply need an additional box to receive HD.
My AV guru also said to avoid the Sony "because it's just an LG" ?
Any views?

David

If it's a Sony, and it's for sale now, it IS NOT HDTV ready!!! Simple.

Check the list of HDTV's on the HDTV thread running on this forum. Go to the first post.

Jimmy

PS. Add on boxes will not work because of HDCP restrictions.

Finally got a reply back from Sony UK:

"It is my pleasure to confirm that because the KLV-L32M1 LCD television, is
an W-XGA panel with 1366 x 768 resolution the set can accept High Definition
Broadcast signals from an external source connected through the component
video input on the rear of the set.

Sony will not modify our current LCD television models to incorporate HDMI
or DVI inputs. However, although at present I cannot confirm this, a digital
video input such the HDMI may be included in future models"

How long until these "future models" are released then? :rolleyes:

neilmcl said:
Finally got a reply back from Sony UK:

"It is my pleasure to confirm that because the KLV-L32M1 LCD television, is
an W-XGA panel with 1366 x 768 resolution the set can accept High Definition
Broadcast signals from an external source connected through the component
video input on the rear of the set.

Sony will not modify our current LCD television models to incorporate HDMI
or DVI inputs. However, although at present I cannot confirm this, a digital
video input such the HDMI may be included in future models"

How long until these "future models" are released then? :rolleyes:
God, how sneaky can they get!!

'...the set can accept High Definition Broadcast signals from an external source through the component'....etc.

How misleading is that? For crying out loud! The main trouble with this statement is that it's the truth...it will do as they say! The trouble with this statement is that people will take it that it is safe to purchase this set as a future proof HiDef TV. It's not. I've been in contact with two such people and they are livid! Nasty Sony. Really NASTY.

Every Sony (and Panasonic) currently available should have a sticker on it saying 'This TV is NOT HDTV compliant'.

Ahhh. Makes me mad..

Jimmy

jimsan said:
Every Sony (and Panasonic) currently available should have a sticker on it saying 'This TV is NOT HDTV compliant'.

Ahhh. Makes me mad..

Jimmy

Disagree because it is HDTV compliant.

If you said 'It will not be compliant with Sky's HDTV' then fair enough.

Although you are right...a lot of people that don't know the difference are going to be let down big time

To me HDTV means that it can display High Definition television in its truest sense. 'Tele-vision' means the broadcasting of images over the air.

Now, if the Sonys were advertised as HD Monitors - that would be OK. I know there is a further complication as there are some HiDef broadcasts available elsewhere in the world that have no HDCP and are connected over component. Doesn't realistically apply in the UK.

Jimmy

THere are some rumours, although possibly people clutching at straws, that sky footy wont be HDCP.

Don't forget that sky said something along the lines that an HDCP compliant connection will be the "main" means of broadcast..which means not necessarily the only means of broadcast

Although I've seen a Digital Sat. Decoder that can output a HD signal via component and DVI (see www.pace.co.uk) it was my understanding that Sky announced that they expect TVs to be equipped with a HDMI input or at least a HDCP compatible DVI port. This was also pointed out on this evenings Gadget Show on five.

BTW Jim they weren't that impressed with the 9986 I'm afraid to say.

BTW Jim they weren't that impressed with the 9986 I'm afraid to say.
I didn't see the show tonight. What reasons did they give for not liking the 9986? Were they referring to the 32" and 37" or the not so good 42"?

Jimmy

Not the only place that does not rate the 32" 9986 top dog. Widescreen & TV Review (I think) reviewed the Philips in Sep 04. Its second to the Loewe Xelos (reviewed Dec 04) in the magazines best buys. But then, its only a review and what do they know? But it does back up my experience. Still have not seen a Philips with a better PQ than my Xelos SL.

scrapbook said:
THere are some rumours, although possibly people clutching at straws, that sky footy wont be HDCP.
Since Sky themselves will be the source of the footy, they will be free to do what they like with it. If copy protection eats in to their potential revenue, it is a method of getting HD viewers who do not have full HD compatible sets. In this case component at 720p/1080i is absolutely fine.

What they will not have control over is movies, Frasier, Friends, SITC or whatever the next big American studio production is. And they will be bound by the terms of the studio license and there will be potentially many unhappy customers.

They were looking at a 37" Phillips and did not like it.

Got another email from Sony UK today stating that although their LCDs in the UK didn't support HDMI or DVI they could indeed receive HD broadcasts through component as required by the Astra HD1 and HD2 channels - not much use to most of us then!

However they went on to say the following:

"With regard to any future developments. Each Sony Marketing Company decides in advance which products they will sell, based on local market trends. However, no detail of the products to be launched nor their specifications are made available (to Sony customer services or consumers) before their launch.

Having said that, a Flat panel television with HDMI support may well appear in the U.K. market at some point later this year. It is with regret that I am not able to provide any more information on this product at this time, but should we launch this product in the future details will be posted on our website"

Me thinks they may well be realising the error of their ways.

First of all let me say hello on my first post. I must admit I'm a bit confused reading this thread as I've read on two different sites that the TV does have an HDMI. Is this perhaps a newer model?

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5214

http://dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_KLV_32M1

Both the above models are claimed to have an HDMI socket and be fully HD ready.

On the other hand the link below seems to be lacking HDMI, perhaps this is the set most people are talking about

http://dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_KLV_L32M1S

barabis said:
First of all let me say hello on my first post. I must admit I'm a bit confused reading this thread as I've read on two different sites that the TV does have an HDMI. Is this perhaps a newer model?

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5214

http://dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_KLV_32M1

Both the above models are claimed to have an HDMI socket and be fully HD ready.

On the other hand the link below seems to be lacking HDMI, perhaps this is the set most people are talking about

http://dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_KLV_L32M1S
I understand your cofusion Barabis!

Firstly, the first review is a typographical error. This may be because this set in the USA does have HDMI connections! Hence the second link! This is a link to review of this set on a UK web site by an American reviewer!

Basically, this Sony (ALL CURRENT SONYS) are NOT HDCP compliant in the UK and Europe.

End of confusion.......

Jimmy

jimsan said:
I understand your cofusion Barabis!

Firstly, the first review is a typographical error. This may be because this set in the USA does have HDMI connections! Hence the second link! This is a link to review of this set on a UK web site by an American reviewer!

Basically, this Sony (ALL CURRENT SONYS) are NOT HDCP compliant in the UK and Europe.

End of confusion.......

Jimmy
Damn I'd built my hopes up a new model had been released.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom