1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KLV-26HG2

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SIDEARM, Jun 4, 2005.

1. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so after much umming and ahhing about which 26" LCD to buy I thought of the ones I am interested in I know the least about this Sony model. DOes anyone on this forum own one? Can they tell me:

1) Why does this model which seems to have been out for a while still command such high prices (way higher even than its comparable sony brethren).
    2) Is the picture really that good?
    3) The most important thing that will occur on any LCD I buy is high-def gaming (xbox, gamecube, xbox360 and ps3 (all in 480p or 720p)) so one of the most important, nay the MOST important things for me is latency. Does this set smear moving images? And are there any sets of the same size (price notwithstanding) that deal with movement significantly better?
    4) Are unbeatable selling the US version (they say has DVI and NTSC tuner) http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_17656.html

Thanks guys. Would really appreciate any input. Especially considering this set is £300 more than the same size Samsung but has less features.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    1) It might just be luck, or it might be that it's a very high quality set (probably the former though, as there are many other excellent LCD TVs). I can tell you for a fact that the Comb Filtering (removing dot crawl on NTSC sources) is astounding for lack of a better word.

2) Yes, provided you're not watching analogue TV signals. They are overly-noise reduced (even when NR turned off) and have lots of smearing, which is the fault of the processing, not the panel. A good DVD over Component however, is an entirely different story:

http://www.lyris-lite.net/fu_archives/lilo.jpg ("Lilo & Stitch" Italian R2 DVD)

3) This set does not smear most moving images, although (I'd imagine this is the case with many LCDs), pitch black objects can leave trails (eg grenades lying on the ground in a Halo 2 game).

4) If Unbeatable say that, they're probably wrong, call to check. Their site now says "2x SCART sockets" so it won't be the US version. The EU version does NOT have DVI.

Downsides:
    15:9 panel (very slightly clipped edges of picture)
    As I mentioned, lack of digital video input. This means you won't be able to watch some HDTV channels and probably not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies once those are available.

I am very soon going to be taking delivery of a 32" Samsung LCD. If all goes well, it will replace my current Sony KLV26HG2 - if you're still interested in it, would you like to buy mine?

3. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Lyris. I have to say I am very interested indeed in this set. I am only waiting now to hear opinions on the new Samsung 26" set which people say they should be receiving in the next few weeks. As picture quality and smeraring issues are the most important thing for me I am prepared to forego a digital input if the image quality is better (all the consoles use component for high def anyway and I dont have and wont be getting sky). As to buying your set - if I decide on the sony over the samsung, then yes I would be very interested. However im going to wait to hear what people think of the samsung first and im going to be in the US till the 23rd anyhow. If you are not selling for a few weeks anyway then sounds like we could do business. :D

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Good to hear. I'm expecting to replace this with the Samsung 32" which I believe is identical to the 26" except for size, so I can hopefully give you a comparison of the two as well.