Sony KL50W2U (KL-50W2U) Dead - Any Ideas or do you have any spares ?

E

endomorph

Hi,

First post on here and hoping that I can get some info because I can't find many other places for this TV.

I have just been given a Sony KL50W2U (KL-50W2U) Rear Projection TV. The previous owner said that it served him well and then stopped dead. He called a service engineer out to look at it and apparently "a board has gone - looking at about £600 to replace it !". Maybe true or maybe usual engineer talk (ie. a fuse has blown but I'm gonna make it an expensive job).

This is what happens -

a) Plug in, switch on.
b) LED on front glows amber.
c) Press power button on front panel, LED flashes red (approx twice a second) continuously.
d) There is a faint high pitch tone coming from the inside of the TV.
e) There is no sound from the speakers.
f) There is no light/image from the screen.

I know this is a long shot, but anyone have any ideas ?

I do have a good electronics background so can do some testing on it myself as I don't really want to get a Sony engineer out due to the cost if he is only going to tell me it's only fit for the scrap heap.

Also, just in case, can anyone recommend a good place in the UK for Sony spares (new or second hand/recon).

Thanks in advance for ANY information you can give.

Jim

I had one of those. Lasted me about 8 years before I decided to buy new (Toshiba as it happens). Anyway, although I can't remember precisely, it sounds like the lamp is blown. Have you checked the lamp (and filters)?

No, not tested yet. I would have thought though there would be sound but no picture if it had gone. Or does it shut the whole thing down ?

Any easy way to test ? Continuity meter ?

Jim

I seem to remember that the set shut down completely when the lamp blew. Only the flashing panel lights on. Can't remember the flash code, but your manual does list the error condition codes.

If it is the lamp, it is *very* easy to change out. Bottom right panel front pulls off and old lamp held in by one allen headed screw.

Filters are at the left side.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom