1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KL50W2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chicken balti, Oct 9, 2001.

1. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've had a problem with this set for a few months now and I need some advise before I start messing around with it.

There is a small 'patch' in the middle of the screen that appears as a bluish purple blotch when the background scene is muted, say the grey of a race track when watching F1. Black and white material shows the fault off even better, against a pure white background the blotch is a slightly yellow colour.

It may be dust particles on one or other of the lcd panels, or the lens assembly, but I'm not too sure. If it was a CRT TV I'd say the screen needs degaussing but obviously not in this case.

Any ideas?
  2. LV426

Administrator Staff Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere in South Yorkshire
    I used to have the 37 inch version of this set. After some months' use, the entire LCD projection assembly was replaced under warranty for reasons I won't bore you with. After this, the set was fine until I installed a new lamp. Shortly afterwards, I began to notice the exact effect you describe, exactly in the centre of the screen.

I firmly believe that this is a symptom of heat damage to the LCD panels. There is no setting or option in the factory menu you can use to fix it, and I don't believe that cleaning will help.

Not good news, I'm afraid. If it's under warranty, get it seen to by a Sony dealer.

If not, then, if I'm right, the cure will be expensive. I suggest that you write, in polite and unemotional "please can you help me" terms to Sony. If you can take a photograph to illustrate the severity of the problem, send it. With luck, they may be sympathetic.