1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony kl50w2 picture problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richie44, Apr 26, 2002.

1. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive searched for other posts on this problem,but still none the wiser,hope someone has any new ideas.
    Sony KL50W2 LCD Rear Projection TV
    I bought this new 18 months ago and upto last week the picture was great.I switched on one morning and was shocked to see on the bottom right of the screen a defused purple/pink patch,which made any white or grey image turn pink when in that screen area.
    Well this week ive noticed the pink/purple area is getting bigger and also a green patch has appeared on the top center,like a stripe.
    If i turn the colour down to black and white its still there,also i removed the the aerial and the scarts so nothing connected,so i show just a no signal picture noise and its still there.
    Its out of waranty now,so has any one any suggestions

2. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i forgot to say that i removed the bulb and and carefully cleaned it and removed a panel on the side to access the lens and cleaned with a lens cloth in case it was a dust problem,but no luck

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Could be dust particles in the LCD block. I never had mine apart, myself, but I watched an engineer do it. I can't offer any guidance as to how to get to it, but a thorough blow clean with an engineer's air blower may clear it.

4. richie44

richie44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding previous post.....
    I thought i would try and solve this picture problem myself and have a look inside,now i wasnt going to get too involved,just that i might see something i could fix myself(dust).
    I removed the 2 side panels and cleaned the lens with the correct clothe,the mirror looked spotless so left alone,swithed on and still this pink place was still there.
    Next i removed the whole screen from the main unit and what i could see i wouldnt want to tamper with it too much.
    I looked at the mirror again and found the problem,it was covered,not with dust,but a film of grime,so i removed it and gave it a good clean(u wouldnt believe the crap that came from it),re assembled everything and switched on........ITS CURED...what a fantastic picture ive got now,pin sharp images,vivid colours,the dogs b*****ks,wasnt even like this when it was new 18months ago........The thing is,when u remove the 2 side covers to view the mirror,because its faces down at an angle it does look clean,its not till its removed and u see it in the light,you then see how clean it is.