sony kl50w2 - green stripe

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by samsjo, Jun 7, 2001.

1. samsjo

samsjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

well i bought a used kl50w2 tv 6 month ago, and after about 2 month i saw a green stripe in the top of the picture. i also have some purple dots on some parts of the screen only visible when displaying bright colors and further more the white color seems to float out when on a dark background......

so my question is can you fix any of the problems or are they permanent?

many thanks in advance.

best regs.
    //david

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    Not sure exactly what you mean by "green stripe" - could you be more descriptive?

Purple dots - are they sharp pinpricks or soft, diffused areas (say about 1 - 2cm across)? If the latter, then the problem is almost certainly dust in the optics. Get an engineer out to blow the optics clean. Then, make sure the air filter on the front of the set is clean and undamaged.

White colour "floats out" - again - not sure what you mean. If you can describe better I may be able to help.

3. samsjo

samsjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

The green stripe is maybe 10 cm long and 4 cm wide and it shimmers(i hope shimmers is the right word, it moves from one side to an other, fast.) in the top of the screen.

The white issue is maybe harder to define, sometimes the white areas have like spikes coming out of it and when watching dvd the text have another color in the backgroud, looks abit like if you tried to draw it three dimensional(this may be a problem with the dvd, have not tried it on another tv.)

the purple dots then seems to be dust, thanks!

regs,
    //david

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    OK, I'm guessing here.

I think your green stripe is probably some sort of interference. Do you notice it on all inputs (including the tuner) or just from external sources eg DVD. And, is it different between an NTSC (eg R1) DVD and a PAL (eg r2) DVD? Is your TV connected with SCARTS?

If yes, then my suspicion would be interference in the SCART cable. What happens is that, even when you have the Ext input selected, the TV tuner continues to recieve off-air transmissions, and outputs this signal into the SCART. If there is some crosstalk between the output signal and the input signal, in the SCART lead (or elsewhere) you get portions of the output bleeding into the input and this can cause the sort of thing you're seeing. Try getting a SCART cable that's only wired up for one direction (eg DVD > TV), or using the separate S-Video connection (4-pin plug).

As for the "white" issue, I'm sorry but I have absolutely no clues - except that it may be caused by the same thing. So, if you do what I say above, and it works, and it also cures the "white" thing - great. Otherwise, it looks like you're on your own. I never saw anything like this on my KL37W2 (same set but smaller).

By the way, if you do need to get the thing seen to, make sure you find a competent Sony service agent. These TVs are very, very different to normal RP sets, and many service centres don't have much idea how to deal with them.

5. samsjo

samsjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many, many thanks!

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    My pleasure - glad to be of service.

Have you tried any of my suggestions - and did they work?

[ 15-06-2001: Message edited by: LV426 ]

7. Boyharmsen

Boyharmsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I have a sony kl-50w2 (first user) and last night the tv suddenly stoped working. if i want to turn it on right now he makes a little buzzing sound and instead of popping on at that moment, he makes 3 click sounds after eachother. And it failed to go on now. Can anybody tell me what this could be?
    thanks

8. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hello
    looking at your problem it sounds like you may have dry joints around one or two
    things firstly it could be on the main power side of things or secondly it could be around the lopt with dry joints

9. Boyharmsen

Boyharmsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you recommand? should i replace the flex or...

10. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    it would requireyou to take off the back and look at the solder joints but if it under warrenty would get the shop where you brought it and gett them to do it

11. Boyharmsen

Boyharmsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the back of the tv and i saw that the wires are oke, but the lampdriver isnt gettin any power. a very small blue thing next to the lampdriver makes the clicking sound and lights up.

12. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i would start by looking for any componants witch look dead and i would test them to see if they are working ok it could be just test the circuit to the lampdriver untill you find the problem i take it is out of warrenty now?
    if it is not i would get a sony shop to repair it and if it is out then it a trial to find the u/s componant but i would start by looking at the blue thing
    good luck technospark