1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KF50sx300 or Samsung sp46l3hxx ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dudbolt, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dudbolt

dudbolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh god! My head hurts... :)

Ready to buy a large screen TV and it's coming to crunch time. The Sony is available here in Northern Ireland for £1399 from the Sony Store with a 3 yr warranty. Or for £1600 theres the Samy that has all the connections i'd need but just one years warranty. Or do i look at the Toshibas that Currys have that cost anything from £599 up to £999?

I have to be careful because i have seen some people say that the warranties are RTB only and the shipping from over here would kill me!

Could someone point me in the right direction, getting very confused as to which TV would be the best to go for! - :lease:

Regards

Garrett

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    First up - there are three different Rear Pro technologies. And they produce very different results. So perhaps you need to narrow down your choices.

The Sony you mention is an LCD RP TV.
    The Samsung is a DLP RP TV.

These two use very different methods to generate the picture, each with plus and minus points. All other things being equal, it's probable that DLP produces a "better" image. But as a technology it has one major flaw. A small proportion of people find them tiring or even nauseating to watch. This is discussed here in depth; look for "DLP Rainbow". So, it may just be that you can discount this type of TV immediately. Only YOU can tell.

As for the Toshibas, prices between 599 - 999; at this price point, some or all of these are going to be CRT RP TVs. Again, another very different technology. In such TVs, look for poor geometry, coloured fringing around the edges of objects, a very visible line structure, flicker, and other CRT artefacts.

I think you need to take a closer look at each of these, try to find out what TYPE of TV each is - and start to narrow it down by looking for shortcomings - to see if they bother you.

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    stay away from the sony they are poop :eek: they will be getting replaced about dec time with a 55" and it will be high def ready with hdmi if you can wait that long but you prob will be looking double the price :thumbsup:

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The Samsung SP46L3HX has been replaced by the newer SP46L6HX and should be appearing in you're local Currys anytime soon. The price should be around £1499 although you can buy it from robertsons-online.co.uk for £1210 incl delivery but I think they charge a small fee for delivery to NI.

As LV426 said you may or may not be susceptible to seeing the rainbow effect with DLP so you shoul make sure that whoever you buy from has a good returns policy. I bought the SP46L6HX but unfortunately for me it's going back because I couldn't live with the rainbowing.

5. dudbolt

dudbolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the samsung looks like the better option, just need to check the rainbow effect. www.robertsons-online.co.uk have it for £1800 at the moment thou! How does the 3H compare to the 6H? Is there much difference in performance?

6. dudbolt

dudbolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake. Found it. :thumbsup:

7. paulhulatt

paulhulatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought I'd post a quickie on this thread to say that I have emailed Robertsons to see if there is any chance of offering some kind of "Power Buy" of this set seeing as there is so much interest at the moment.

I'll let you know what they come back with.

Paul

8. dudbolt

dudbolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great idea. I emailed them earlier about warranty cover in northern ireland.