1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KF42SX300...Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tony4563, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi everyone. :) After months of deliberating, I'm just on the verge of buying this TV. I want a large screen TV that looks good, performs better than a CRT Rear Pro, but won't show me rainbows often seen on a DLP set. My only concerns are about the juddering picture associated with this set. Does the service menu fix which I;ve seen in the forum actually cure it for good? Is it easy to do yourself or should I leave it for the engineer to sort out? I'm scared to death of entering the service menu in case i cock up!

2. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well, got it on order...still open for any views on this telly.

tony.

3. barbuckle

barbuckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently acquired the 50" version of the set I would advise that it meets exactly the criteria you describe (I would have bought a DLP for the superior contrast but found the "rainbow" interference unwatchable).
    And yes - the fix posted in this forum did fix the "lag" problem (in a matter of seconds and without the pantomime of having to return the set!)

4. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for that Barbuckle... :smashin: TV should be with me in a couple of days :) . Looking forward to it. I also took out an extended warranty for a total of 3 years cover for peace of mind. I emailed the insurance company to ask whether the bulb would be covered in case of failure and was told "yes" in their reply email :D Just out of curiosity....

1. How long does it take the TV to get a picture when you switch on from the BIG on/off switch or remote in standby?

2. How noisy is the fan?

3. Are there any lamp life saving tips you can suggest?

Thanks Again...Tony :thumbsup:

5. barbuckle

barbuckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony,
    Yes - also haggled for a lengthy guarantee (incl bulb).

1. How long does it take the TV to get a picture when you switch on from the BIG on/off switch or remote in standby?
    > about 10 seconds until first visible, further 20 secs until watchable

2. How noisy is the fan?
    Only ever noticed it when standing behind the set with the sound off! (so really very quiet)

3. Are there any lamp life saving tips you can suggest?
    Frankly no. I don't think there is a "low-light" mode for the lamp it is either on or off. Nor does the brightness setting have any saving effect(anyone know differently?) I would assume it is not a good idea to switch the set on/off for very short periods (but then why would you?)
    I bought the set primarily to view dvd movies - the low quality of current TV feeds is made very apparent by these big sets (that's why they often look so bad in shops!)
    If you really want to see how good these sets can be try plugging a PC into the vga port and playing hi-definition videos (petty they are not full-screen!)

6. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks again mate! :smashin: Still got the poops thinking about the service menu change for the jittering. Is it just a matter of using the forward/back/up/down buttons on the remote to make changes to the settings? How do you exit the service menu?

7. barbuckle

barbuckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Top Man! Will let you know how i get on. TV arriving tomorrow.

Tony

9. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    TV eventually arrived 1pm. Got my mum to open door for courier cause I couldn't get time off work. Found out when I got home that the courier was on his own and my poor mum of 78 had helped him carry the TV in because he'd been dragging the box along the ground! :eek: My god, don,t these well known courier companies have health and safety standards for their employees? The stand on it's own weighs 55kg! They should have two people delivering the heavy stuff. How do they stand if a customer has an injury carrying heavy goods because there's only a driver helping to deliver the goods? :nono:
    Anyway, after all that, set up TV and stand (with a little difficulty due to crap instructions) Plug in Sky to test...Wow...GREAT picture. No dead pixels and nice even illumination. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the shops. Shows up a few heavily compressed channels on Sky, but on the whole I think i'm gonna enjoy watching this set. No juddering seen yet, but will keep an eye out. :smashin:

10. barbuckle

barbuckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One guy to deliver it - unbelievable :thumbsdow

I did not initially notice the "juddering" and I am not sure it happens at all when watching DVDs.
    It was most obvious when watching sport on TV like football or rugby but it is slight and only visible after a camera angle cut (big change in the picture content and the software can't quite keep up?)
    It would be worth watching it for a while to confirm there is a problem before launching into the design menu!

Enjoy!

11. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for your help barbuckle... :smashin: yep I think your're right. "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" comes to mind :nono:

12. thedutydoctor

thedutydoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok peeps, here’s some food for though, this will be the second SX300 I’ve had in 10 months with virtually the same fault…the spooky turn on problem…

I bought my first set from Powerhouse in York :smashin: who to be honest have been excellent about my predicament, however the Sony service center they use for repair is certainly way below average on customer service & support, as I said the first SX300 failed within 10 months, and was dragged away and thrown in the back of a ford transit van by two DBS service chimps who appeared to know little more than how to turn the set on, let alone repair it. Stating it would need software upgrades, and this may take a few days!! :confused:

While my baby was away being repaired, I did some soul searching on the Internet.

I know this sounds paranoid but I wondered if there was more to this than just a simple firmware upgrade, having family in the US, I decided to ask them if they would mind making a few calls on my behalf just to see what they could find.

I tried Sony UK but was told as far as they were concerned this was a one off fault and had never seen or heard of it before (yeah right) and that I should deal with my supplier. (Cheers Sony) :(

A few day later I called Powerhouse and was told that my repair may take longer than a few days, apparently they were awaiting parts!!! Interesting I thought it was a firmware upgrade? Hmmm apparently not.

By the 12th day my extended warranty took over and Powerhouse agreed to replace the SX300 with a new one… I was happy with this as it meant that I’d get rid of what was maybe a possible hardware issue.

I called and collected the new SX300 drove home and began installing it, on power up, guess what, yip, same fault, failed to power on… (I tried the standby button on the remote too)

On that same evening my Brother rang from the US with a telephone number of a service center in New York, and I decided I had nothing to loose and subsequently phoned them, the engineer I spoke to was excellent and he told me he’d seen this fault... Circa 2004, apparently it turns out Sony are very aware of this issue and are so far unable to discover the exact cause, it appears to happen on only but a few sets within a production run, it’s not manufacturing site related, nor is it batch related…make of that what you will, my guess is it’s a timing issue with some of the peripherals cards.

OK this is what the engineer told me, he had heard of a way to sometimes fire the set up if it refuse to turn on, and this is how I got this brand new faulty out of the box SX300 to finally power up and run.

Sit on the floor, and get comfy, as this can take some time, using the ON switch, position the push button so that its nether ON or OFF rocking between that “a kind of no mans land” that’s to say from the OFF position (AMBER LED) push the button in slightly until the amber LED changes to the upper GREEN, it will then fail and resort to RED… release the button very slightly until it turns back to AMBER again, repeat this rocking for maybe 30-40 times, as soon as you see a solid Upper GREEN LED, push the ON switch fully home (it locks in) the set should power up within 2-3 seconds, fan starts…. This worked on the new faulty unit.

Powerhouse have again agreed to change the unit for another new SX300, but the question is, will it appear on the third SX300.?

The strange thing is, I know of two other SX300s that have been running for well over a year, one in a Hotel, and the other at a work colleagues, nether have shown this fault.

If anyone has seen or heard this fault before and had it repaired, I’d be interested in comments from the Sony Repair Center used.

My feeling is Sony don’t really want this bad press and therefore obviously, they appear to be somewhat secretive about the whole power on issue, all this aside I think the SX300 model is really quiet excellent in both colour and black levels, plus its outstanding value for money, so please don’t be put off by the problems, I only want to share with you what I have found, and indeed what I did to get it up and working.

I have thought about changing brands, but I’ve fallen for this SX300, and nothing else seems to give the picture quality of the 300.

Cheers
    Thedoc :thumbsup:

13. barbuckle

barbuckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of your problems.

I have had a KF50SX300 for a few months and have had no such problems.
    One thing I do notice is the on/off switch on the set appears to "remember" the state of the set. So it alters it's behaviour depending on whether the set is on standby or on when you push the "on/off" switch.

So if the set is off (amber led showing) the switch toggles between off (amber) and standby (red). It does not switch the set on.
    From standby (red) I must use the program buttons on the side of the set or the remote to get it to turn on (green).

If I now use the on/off switch it toggles between off (amber) and on (green).

I presume this is how these sets are designed - anyone notice a different behaviour on their set?

14. thedutydoctor

thedutydoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Barbuckle... well the new SX300 installed and this one appears to be a 100% (Fingers Crossed) :thumbsup: ...

Interestingly after a cup of tea with the delivery guys... :lesson: they told me they had taken several of these units back for repair to DBS...number 1 fault...yup the power up issue, plus a fault that causes the volume to go up and down on its very own :eek:

So guys all I can say is this model is excellent, but just remember you may just get a friday afternoon model, rule of thumb here is to get insurance cover, its worth every penny, even if the bulb pops or god forbid it happens to develope a power on issue you can just send it back for a replacement.

(Oh and word of thanks here to Powerhouse Store in York) excellent place to buy and work a deal, the support is second to none, so if your in the York area give Powerhouse a call. there on Clifton Moor Ind Est.

Regards
    thedutydoctor :thumbsup: