1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KF42SX300 OR KF50SX300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by moblies, Jan 7, 2005.

1. moblies

moblies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at the Sony KF42SX300 but wondered if its worth going up to the 50 model instead. Would the piture be any better on the smaller screen?

2. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 50". Apart from the known bulb issues that can/have been fixed this TV is mutts nutts!

My cousin has the 42" and it looks like a baby compared with my 50". PQ is more dependent on feed and quality cables, the bigger screen will show up more artifacts etc, as will any big screen.

Overall I love this set, it is going to be fixed today (new bulb and light engine to solve blown lamp issues) and I cant wait to go back to the big screen.

Check your living room is the right size for the tv though (google it "Rear projection viewing distance") or you will not be happy. You have to give these monster TV's the right distance to so them any justice.

Just as another point, I have been looking a DLP projection tv's to replace this one as I was going to return it. Although they are HD sets, the DLP technology is not 100% there yet IMO. There are issues with solarization and blurring you just dont get with LCD RP's. Also the rainbow is an issue for me, just because I can't see it, doesn't mean all my family and relatives cant. No point buying a TV that not everyone can enjoy.... Thats why I opted to have my set fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps you make your mind up.

G-Unit

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The only reason the two pictures will differ is because, the larger something is (at your eye) the more critical your view of it will be.

4. jezzabo

jezzabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    g unit, where did u get your bulb and light engine from? as i believe one or both of them have blown after hearing a "glass cracking" sound from inside the tv, now no longer have any picture.

5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the hijack. Guys i've purchased the KF42sx300 about 3-4 weeks ago and since then it has been sitting in the living room of my new apartment untouched (still in the box) because i still couldn't move into my new apartment.

Even though i haven't used it i'm having second thoughts whether i should've purchased the 50inch version or not. I'm thinking i should change it since i'll use it for a long time and don't want to make a decision i'll regret. My living room is 45m2 one third of which is the dining area. And the price difference for the 50inch is 450euros.

- Is there a difference in the picture quality with 50inch version?
    - Is the back of the 50inch version bigger/stick out more? (42inch one is around 30cm i think)
    - Are the pixels/squares more noticable in the 50inch one?
    - Anything else that i should take into account?

Please help. Cheers!

6. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I bought the 42" about 8-10 months ago and it has been back for repair twice!!

The screen colour gains a hint of green colouring in it and apparantley this is a common fault??

They took it away the first time and it came back worse. They did fix it the secont time but i still wasnt and still am not happy with the results.

When I first got it the picture was grand but i would have second thoughts about getting one now- obviously.

mason

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already got the 42inch version from a Sony dealer so it's not possible to change it with another brand even if i had second thoughts. My confusion is about whether is should keep the 42inch version or change it with the 50inch version.

8. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I looked at the both of them at the time and I felt that the picture quality of them was about equal.

I didnt go for the 50" coz simply due to the fact that I have a projector in mm cinema room also so that size of tv wasnt required.