1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony KF42SX200 amazing price or con?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bobbeh, Jun 10, 2003.

1. bobbeh

bobbeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, ive had several quotes for the sony KF42SX200 from a few tottenham court road dealers but nothing beats the RGBdirect.co.uk price. when i told them, they basically larfed and said it was an impossible price, some bullpoop about the tv actually costing them £2210 and my best offer was £2400.

RGB Price (inc VAT)
    £2048.68

i know rgb do some of the best deals for electrical goods but how is the difference so big in this model compared to others? could it be import stock? and if so is it still worth buying.

i would also like to know if anyone ever bought from rgbdirect, possibly had problems with their customer support?

the tv itself looked stunning in the shops, picture quality as good as the best plasmas and definitely better than the standard rear projections. i was offered a factory refurb of the monster 50inch version for £2600 with full warranty, but it just looked ridicuously big.

any feedback about the model in general also welcome.

thanks

2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 32inch toshiba picture frame from the above.
    At the time they also offered a far less price than any other.

I had no problems whatsover.
    In fact there service was very good.
    They use there own delivery service.
    On the day of delivery there van broke down.
    They called me and explained there would be a delay
    because of breakdown and resceduled a new delivery.
    This was all very professional. (im sure many wouldnt have bothered)

The next day telly arrives, Nice Guy whom was more than helpful to carry all the kit into my living room. Very polite & friendly.

3. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is that price for the tv with stand or just the tv? I think empiredirect have the tv for about 2.1k but I can't see the stand for sale separately. Comet online have it for 2.4k including stand.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would suggest anybody contemplating a purchase from Empire Direct do a search of this site and observe the wide range of opinions voiced about them.

I personally had an abysmal experience with them, others seemingly have had a very good experience. However, as a consumer I decided to vote with my wallet and have vowed never to purchase from them again.

With regard to RGB direct, it's worth considering that John Lewis will price match them and give you a 5 year warranty into the bargain. Be aware that to get the price match, you'll have to give them the shop address and claim you went in there in person. Mention the website, and you won't get very far. Send me a PM if you want specifics on how to approach this.

5. bobbeh

bobbeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    comet do not offer this product on their website. i havent check in store though. can you give me a link to this, as 2.4 with stand is a tmepting offer.

6. bobbeh

bobbeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nevermind ive found it!

2.4k fomr comet does not include the stand :(

£499.95 extra for TV/Video cabinet there is an additional charge for the cabinet

7. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oops, I saw the picture and didn't see anything in the description to say the stand wasn't included but on closer inspection you do indeed have to pay extra for it. The TV looks a funny shape and I can't see it looking right on anything other than the proper stand. It's a bit much to charge 500 quid for it though!!

8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    John Lewis are getting much more strict on their price matching policy and the last time I tried they refused a price match against RGB.

They argued that when they phoned RGB they were told it was a sale price. (RGB never told me that when I phoned them!)
    Apparently JL will not price match against sale prices or any special offers. Recently I tried to price match a BBQ and JL refused as the retailer had a 20% off offer.

Their policy has also changed so that instead of phoning the price match store there and then, they now insist on getting you to fill out a form that is sent to their Undersold department. This takes up to a week to process and was done even though the store was empty. In the past I have got them to do a price match there and then even when the store was really busy.

This contrasts with a recent price match experience in Jessops - they happily price matched against the cheapest retailer that I could find. The retailers phone was engaged when they called so they did the price match any way!

I think JL may be wanting to make price matching as difficult and as restrictive as possible to protect their profits. I cannot blame them for this. Especially as JL generally provide a superior service to most stores e.g. free extended guarantees and delivery and generally more knowledgeable staff.

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's certainly true to say that JL have been taking a tougher stance on their price matching or "undersales" as they quaintly refer to them.

I got a price match on a camcorder last Christmas (against RGB) and had to do the following:

1. Call JL store and ask for undersales department.
    2. Tell them the details of the equipment you're interested in and tell them the address of the retailer.
    3. They check it and send you a letter that you need to bring in to the store when you want to make the purchase. It states that they'll honour the price for a month or so I think.

The strange part was they claimed that they would send someone in person to check the price. Whether they really do this or it's just a stalling tactic, I don't know. Fact is after a week or so I had a letter confirming the price match and asking me to come along to the store.

Another thing as well, they get jumpy about matching retailers that aren't "local", so getting JL Oxford Street to match a retailer in Glasgow (for example) is very unlikely. In my case I chose the nearest JL store which I think was Bluewater.

10. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying on your barclaycard and getting them to pricematch
    is so much easier. Just a phone call and posting a printout
    of where the price is cheaper.

Ive used this a few times now with no problems.

They will pay the differance within 60 days of you finding the product cheaper.

As Plazy's drop so offen, im going to wait a while before contacting them to price match my plazy.
    Ive already seen it a little cheaper.

Great service , check it out.

11. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone know if the Barclaycard price match will work if the plasma was bought from John Lewis, would they price match against nexnix ? i.e. As JL gives a 5 year warranty, do Barclaycard consider it an identical product.

12. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I guess it depends on the T's & C's of the Barclaycard Price Match.

Might be worth giving them a call and asking them ahead of time.

I've read some folks comments that Barclaycard's extended appliance warranty doesn't apply to Plasmas, they might try to wriggle out on the price match as well.

At the end of day, get something from them in writing, then you can beat them over the head with this should they try and back pedal.

The info on the Barclaycard site says that the goods have to be identical (same make and model), not that anything else has to be identical such as warranty conditions.

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bcard will not give you a years free extended warranty
    when purchasing a plazy with your plastic.

ive been down this road.

quite a lenghy post on this very topic.

As far as i know they dont have such strict rules for price matching.