Sony KF-50SX300

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Phonestud, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi friends ,

I am collecting some informations for a Sony LCD rear projection tv , model : KF50SX300 , 127cm visible screen size ... I have some questions in my mind and need your helps to solve ...

Usually many tvs from Sony carries the DRC abilities but i couldn't find the DRC techology on the KF50SX300 , is the reason for this , there is no DRC techology on Lcd rear projection tvs or this tv lacks from it ... Also i want to learn that is KF50SX300 full compatible with progressive scan dvd format and HD ready .

I saw a demo of the tv in a shop and i thought one of the best picture quality i've ever seen on a tv screen , it's near plazma , what do you think about KF50SX300 .

Thank you so much .

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phonestud, welcome to the forums :hiya:.

I have a Sony brochure which also doesn't mention DRC on this model, so it certainly seems that this tv lacks this feature, which is rather odd when you consider that it is included on the smaller 42SX200 LCD television.

I'm not really sure what benefits DRC would make on this tv as it is a fixed pixel display, while DRC seems to be designed to improve CRT sets.

Unfortunately the 50SX300 is incapable of accepting a signal from a progressive scan dvd player and it's also incapable of receiving and displaying a high definition image.

The lack of high definition capability is understandable because the format is virtually non existant in the UK, but the non compatibility with progressive scan is a stupid move from Sony considering the price of this set and the type of buyer it's aimed at.

I noticed that Samsung are bringing out a new range of DLP rear projection sets which are both progressive and high definition capable, as well as having other features such as 2:3 pulldown. While I wouldn't rush out and buy one (I don't have the money for one thing :() I do think these are the early signs that in the near(ish) future these features will become commonplace on large screen displays (they already are on plasma).

I've no doubt that the 50SX300 is a great set, but it lacks features that will greatly limit it's appeal to many buyers.

Buy the way, all of these comments are based on the UK model.

3. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very sad that such an expensive tv incapable of accepting a signal from a progressive scan dvd player .

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    My uncle has this TV and it truly is stunning. The best thing about it is that the viewing angle is much wider than on most rear projections. PQ through DVD is sublime. I was under the impression however that it does have progressive inputs.

5. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean does it have progressive compatible inputs ? Whether it has progressive compatible inputs or not , the quality of the gfx you see on the screen really amazing .

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. :clown:. I overlooked the 15 pin D-Sub connector.

What I don't know is whether or not this input will accept both progressive RGB and component. If it accepts both, then you're in luck Phonestud, as all you will need is a component to 15 pin D-Sub lead and you will be able to connect any progressive scan dvd player.

If it only accepts progressive RGB, then things become a bit more complicated. To feed the Sony a progressive signal in this case you will need to use either a line doubler, a scaler or adapt your PC to act as an HTPC.

Another option is an RGB to component transcoder, (make sure it's capable of handling a progressive signal, as some only convert interlaced video). I read a report on one of these in Stereophile, and they claimed there was a slight but noticeable drop in picture quality, although this was a few years ago, so quality has probably improved.

7. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame such an expensive tv without a progressive input . If it accepts both progressive rgb and component , it should be written on the box or inside the manual .

Thanks for the ideas and comments .

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony got problems i think, they don't offer anything appealing today to the market, as someone said they don't have component inputs at all.

The new Sony Wegas are plain simple a plastic box where they have thrown in their outdated LCD projector VW-12HT, nothing else.

And they claim it being new and breathtaking, it's just a way to get rid of their own old stock and repack it in a new product to boost sales.

9. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 days ago I mailed the same questions to SONY UK , today they send me a mail , here is what they said ,

---
    I can confirm that there is no DRC feature on the KF50SX300U television. The level of resolution that the 3.15 million pixels provided by the 3 LCD XGA panels, along with the DCI (Digital Constant Image) is more than sufficient to provide an excellent picture.

The KF50SX300 is compatible with Progressive Scan via the 15 pin, D-sub connection, however this is dependant on the DVD player. The television is not HD ready, as there is no High Definition broadcast content in the UK at present.

With Regards
    Peter Shorney
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited
    ---

10. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi phonestud,

First, a word of congratulations...............you actually received a clear, exact, straight to the point answer from the customer service of a major manufacturer, a total rarity these days. :smashin:

The only thing I think Peter Shorney should clarify is will the D-Sub connector accept a progressive component signal. If it does, then any progressive dvd player (with the correct cable) can be connected.

If it only accepts progressive RGB, then you will have to use one of the workarounds from my earlier post.

11. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks , in fact , I couldn't believe when i see the mail from Sony UK :)

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    A couple of points here:

First, if this TV does indeed have the works of a VW12 inside then, quite at odds with what Lizzard has to say, it will contain what is probably still one of the best LCD PJs on the market. Just because it was released a couple of years ago doesn't make it intrinsically bad. If I had GBP3k or so to spend today on a projector, a VW12 is what I'd buy.

Second - if it does contain the works of a VW12 then the awkwardness of supplying a Progressive signal is irrelevant for DVD use. The VW12 has an onboard scaler/deinterlacer that is probably better than those found in most (if not all) progressive-enabled DVD decks. So, feed it interlaced video and watch how good a job it does.

I'm not confirming that it is a fully working VW12 inside - that I don't know. But if it is........

13. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wrong, of course the SX300 accepts a progressive signal thru it's DB15 Input, all computer video signals are progressive by nature and not interlaced.

14. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can we connect a component out to Db15 in , do we need just a cable or there has to be a signal converter between Db15 and Component out ?

15. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    However, do take note that the SX300 can only accept up to XGA resolution on the DB-15 input which limits it to 1024x768 pixels.

That is rather bad i think for a size of this type of screen.

16. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's bad but in fact the tv gives near flawless gfx performance with svideo and rgb scart , probably one of the clearest and near to real gfx in a tv with such price .

17. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzard, 1024x768 is rather bad?
    Compared to what exactly?

My samsung is reported to go up to the same rez, but it can do 1280x768 perfectly also. As far as im aware, other than a computer monitor, this is as high as it gets without clearing out the bank balance.

Am I wrong? Are there tvs with 1000+ vertical rez already ( in the uk )?

18. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, 1024x768 is bad because if you consider the price of this beast you could buy a Panasonic 50" HD plasma instead and get true 1366x768 for nearly the same price.....

And the Sony is LCD, urk.......

LCD=bad blacks, pixelation...

I have seen the SX300 and i think most people buy because of the size of the screen and after a while they had it they start to see the artifacts of LCD.

This set should have been a HD2+ DLP.

19. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    LCD = Bad blacks: Possibly. But much less so on this particular set than on LCDs in general.

LCD = pixellation: no good reason why this would be more the case than with Plasma or DLP. Both need scalers to make their flat panels work. A scaler to the same standard will produce the same level of pixellation, regardless of the type of screen it is driving. And - if it is, indeed, a VW12 inside, then it has possibly the best onboard scaler there is.

Should have been a DLP: I don't think so. DLP = rainbows! Yes, even on the new SIM2 DLP TV.

With respect, I think you may be making too many assumptions and generalisations here.

The native resolution of the LCDs in this TV is 1366x768. I don't know whether the DVI input will handle this resolution, but the LCD projector certainly will.

Oh, and I should mention - LCD = no prospect of screen burn-in.

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Well we can all argue about the technical bits but the proof is in the tasting. I have seen this TV in the flesh (my uncle has one) and on DVD's it produces a fantastic image. The viewing angle is also much better than other RPTV's.

It looks great too - sitting on it's glass stand from the front you would swear it was a plasma. Pretty slim as well.

21. Phonestud

Phonestud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The image on the screen really very clear , i know some very expensive plasmas really giving bad performances than 50SX300 .

I wish it can give support to component connection , progressive connection from component connection and HDTV ready ...

22. kungfujim

kungfujim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one know if its possible to use the D-sub for a 16:9 format ?