1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Kep37m1s

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Bigpants, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Bigpants

Bigpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks like a good plasma tv for around £1400 includes tuner and speakers and stand etc. Anyone got any reviews or advice on this? What is the contrast ratio? Is this a good buy for a "plasma virgin"?

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its an excellent TV, and thats a fair price.

IMO contrast is good (I don't think they specify a ratio), blacks are even blacker than Panasonic, and there's good dark scene detail. The picture is bright with good colour reproduction, but the odd artefact and solarisation pops up.

You should definitely also look at the new Panasonic 37PE50, the obvious contender. Once in stock and prices settle, I expect it to be roughly the same price as the Sony.

I'd also think about spending £300 or so more to get a 42" screen if space permits (again, the Panasonic and Sony would be worth considering) - you'll probably thank yourself in the long run! Also, the high-definition Panasonic 37PV500 might be worth the extra money? At least demo Panasonic and Sony and choose what you prefer anyway...

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested SONY 42M1 and I am very impressed. Better detail compared to Panasonic 42PW7 which is a little soft to my taste.
    I agree with Superpixel if you can buy a 42 inch screen.

4. Bigpants

Bigpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies. I think 42" is just too big! Sit only approx 8ft from TV ! Would a 42" not burn my eyes out that close?!! Plus the 42" is approx £600 dearer! :)

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now you can get the Sony KE-P42M1 for £1700 and the Panasonic 42PE50 for £1800 (and it will get lower in the next few weeks).

IMHO, there's not much difference in minimum viewing distance between 37 and 42" - its the jump to 50" where it matters. A demo is the only way to check what's right for you, but yes you are closer to the screen than I reckoned!

I think the Sony's need more viewing distance than the Panasonics because they appear more pixellated/less fine (whether the pixels are actually bigger I don't know, but it looks like they are), and because they produce more artefacts. I'd be leaning towards the Panasonic 37 or 42PE50 if I were you...(and unlike some on this forum I don't recommend Panasonic's lightly!)

6. Bigpants

Bigpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Jeez! I am so confused - my preference was going towards the Sony that I could just plug in and watch! DO you not need loads of extras for the "Panny"? :confused:

7. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, these Panasonics are full-blown, commercial stylish TVs. :thumbsup:

they take front page at www.panasonic.co.uk if you want a look.

8. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep, I've looked at the KE-P42M1 today too and imho this screen beats
    everything in it's class; normal broadcasts are very sharp and natural, simply CRT like.
    I've compared it with the new Panny 42pe50 and Hitachi pd5200, the screens where i thought of that one of it would be mine. But sorry, the Sony rocks. :)

Downfall is the bad pc connectivity (only by s-vhs?) and ofcourse a non HD resolution. :rolleyes:

I don't agree, imo it was the Panny which looked more grainy.