1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KE42-TS2 opinions ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kingbilly123, Jul 31, 2003.

1. kingbilly123

kingbilly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Was looking to join the 42" plasma club and after reading the opinions on the forum the choice in the up to £4k price bracket quickly came down to the Panny 6 or the Pioneer 433MXE, and therefore into the pixles vs contrast debate. I plan to use it for PC (games), XBox, Playstation2 ,Sky TV and DVD. Initially I was hesitating on the Panny 6 due to the PC use which the forum recommends the Pioneers for. So nothing for it but to go to John Lewis and see them in action.

They had the Pioneer but only a Panny 5B, trouble is on the same Star Wars II feed the Sony KE42-TS2 that was also there appeared to have the best picture of all. The colours looked more vibrant than the Pioneer particularly the "glowing" blues and on a par with the Panasonic. The sharpness of the picture appeared better than the Panasonic and on a par with the Pioneer which looked a bit grainy.

Before I splash out £3,200 on a Sony is this making sense ? looking at the technical specs the Sony is 1024x1024 (great) but only a 500:1 contract ratio (not so great) plus you guys dont appear to rate it. Can my personal choice be this particular or has the shop just set up the Plasmas wrong ??

Any opinions appreciated

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    my choice at first was the sony.but in the end i got the hitachi 400e exactly the same screen as sonys they both use the fugitsu glass and if you put them side by side the picture quility is nearly the same ,i got the hitachi for £2500 and bought a trilogy box for £80 it has rgb scarts on it and is excellent value plus i hook my comp up to the vga connector on the plasma.on the sony u have to get a special lead.i could go on and on but the choice is yours is the sony worth £700 more i dont think so .unless you like the style of the sony i would buy the hitachi and as i said both use the same screen

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How much was a stand and did you get any speakers?

Where do you get the Trilogy Box from?

4. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i never got a stand i got a wall bracket cheapest place dabs.com about £80 most places charge much more .didnt need speakers got good ones already trilogy box i got from www.lektropacks.co.ukfrom

i think the version 2 box is out now dont know what the difference is

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    my opinion is panasonic still flikers even the 6 series ive seen it with my own eyes . pioneer good but to exspensive.sony great design but as usual u pay more for sony.fugitsu great display but price again so i decided on the hitachi,i think the price and quility of the display won me over and at the end of the day next year they will probaly be in the £2000 bracket.remember when they were £15000

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Great,thanks!

The stand and wall bracket's are indeed crazy prices,£175 for a stand,£250 for a wall bracket and £475 for speakers!

Have you seen a cheap stand anywhere and did you fit the wall bracket yourself and was it easy to fit?

What's the v2 box?

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the 32-inch version of the Sony and am pretty happy with it, recognising that no plasma is going to give you as high-quality picture quality as the best of the CRTs. The reason the Sonys are not often discussed on these forums is that they are not good value - you're paying for the Sony name - so not many people have them. The biggest screen I could accommodate was 32 inches, so the choice was only Sony, Hitachi or Philips. I went for Sony because it's a fabulous piece of design - on a tabletop, that is. It would not look good on a wall. The few members here who have them seem content, and indeed mine has given trouble-free service in the three months I've had it. But I still miss my CRT!

8. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    >>> Can my personal choice be this particular or has the shop just set up the Plasmas wrong ?? <<<

Fair question, but at the end of the day it's your own expereince that matters most - go with what you like best! Have fun.

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What do you miss about your CRT?

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sharpness of image and depth. What I don't miss at all is the bulk!

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Given the chance would you change back ?

Or would you now choose a different plasma ?

BTW I have just seen the Sony 42" at my local Curry's and it looked good running their shared video feed and the Hitachi looked awfull but I think that was mostly down to how it was setup..at least I'd hope so.

Cheers, Lee

12. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good question Loonatic! Probably wouldn't go back to a CRT as I can make good use of the space that's been freed, and plasmas look great too. And I wouldn't go for a different plasma unless Pioneer did a 32-inch (that's all I've got room for). To be honest, with DVDs I don't think there's much to choose between CRT and plasma - it's with TV programmes I miss the CRT most. You shouldn't have seen much difference, if any, between the Sony and the Hitachi as they use the same Fujitsu glass I believe. But from my experience Currys is not the place to see anything at its best.

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've seen the Sony and the Hitachi and they looked the same to me,brilliant,sharp,with a ton of fine detail.Mind you,that was a demo DVD feed.The Hitachi didn't look so good with analogue or Freeview,but it should do if DVD looks that good,as I only watched a snippet of Freeview.

14. kingbilly123

kingbilly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went back to the shop, saw that the Sony was on component whilst the Panasonic wasn't (looked like the 15 pin socket). Still very impressed with the picture on the Sony, end of the day if I can get that level of picture quality I'm onto a winner so taken the plunge and ordered the Sony.

Should arrive on Tuesday, then its a case of figuring how to wire it up. Thanks for the advice on the Hitachi couldn't find one to demo so didn't to buy one blind.

15. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good luck with the Sony,I really did like it.

You'll have to let us know how you get on.

;)

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The "sharpness" is much improved when using a progressive scan DVD player, in fact I find the sharpness to be slightly too high even at the minimum setting!

PQ is improved in some ways compared with a CRT - no scan lines for a start (on other people's CRT's they look so bad now i'm used to plasma!), perfect strait lines, but I agree with you about "depth", but no plasma offers image depth comparable with a CRT and the Sony isn't special in that area. The blacks are dotty (dithered) which can be distracting, and the scaler isn't perfect.

I too chose the Sony because it was the right shape and size, and there's no need for a tuner box. I'm still happy with my purchase, when i watch a film i now compare the picture with the cinema rather than a TV!

17. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    bloomin' 'eck I'd never compare a dvd on a plasma with the rubbish you get at the cinema :laugh:

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Depends what cinema you go to... my local is an Imax :D