1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KE-P37M1 HDTV? RIPPED OFF? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by roper999, Oct 19, 2005.

1. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony KE-P37M1 plasma TV about 3 months ago under the assumption that it would be compatible with HDTV.

I was told by a salesman at currys that HDTV is a word that Panasonic used for their technology and it is not something to worry about.

I was dubious at the time but couldnt resist buying the TV. The picture is amazing, the sound is also top quality.

I do not know much about HDTV, and what place it will take in the future and now wish I did some research before buying my tv.

I have a few questions which I would really appreciate answering :

Is it compatable with HDTV? I dont think so from what I have read!!!!!!

Was the Salesman at Curry's giving me misleading information regarding HDTV? Is it not only panasonics technology?

If my tv is not HDTV ready is there a way I can make it compatable and what sort of price is it?

Should I just throw my TV away and stomp around in self pity that I was an idiot for not doing research before buying? :suicide:

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you can give. A good link to a good HDTV website would also be greatly appreciated.

Peace

2. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Get back to the store and give them some.You were sold a product under false pretences.If your lucky the salesman involved will still work there,discuss the matter with him and then the manager.

I wish you all the best.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    aqnd if that fails it'll make a great tv for the bedroom :D get a 50" for the front room ;)

4. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I didnt buy the TV from the same place as the salesman worked as it was £500 cheaper somewhere else. So unfortunately no come back from Currys.

So, it clearly wont play HDTV, will there be some sort of "box" that can be plugged in so that it will play HDTV or is it a case of a brand new TV?

Thanks

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If it doesn't say "HD Ready" it isn't!!

Play HDTV what is that then 720, 1080, pal, ntsc, hdmi, dvi, hdcp, 50hz, 60hz ??? (that was meant to be sarcastic)

It is always true, buy in a hurry repent at your leisure!!

Salesman at Curry's, would have been better off asking at a Balti house!!

6. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry Roper, but as you've probably guessed by now, your display cannot cope with HDTV.

It is capable of standard, interlaced PAL (480i) or progressive PAL (480p) but not the HDTV standards of 720p or 1080i.

If you really think you want an "HD Ready" set, it might be advisable to think about selling your current set pretty soon - the HD bug is begining to spread (I even heard a couple who must have been in thier late 60's discussing it in Comet the other day!!) and the value of non-HD sets could start to slide...

7. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just a touch cheeky to hope that there might be some comeback, if you did not even buy it there...

8. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for all of the replies. It looks like I really messed up with this one. I think I will just errrmmm not tell the wife and hope she doesnt want HDTV when it appears next year, I dont think she will be too pleased when I tell her we wasted £1,500. I doubt we would get £800 for it now!!!!!!!!

I quote the above as it just goes to show, these days we are not just buying say a TV. We are in a technological wormhole, that unfortunately in order not to get screwed you have to know about absolutely everything you buy, and unfortunately cannot go by the word of a salesman. I am suprised we put up with it.

I am a 26 year old man and would consider myself quite technology literate so to speak. However this new HDTV stuff is even too boring for me to get into. How much do you have to spend to keep upto date with technology???

First everyone has to go digital, now if you dont get a HDTV ready TV by next February, you will miss out on no doubt some brilliant new tv series etc etc. Is it only me in this world that thinks we are just continually being ripped off.

I mean, whats next after HDTV? I am sure there will be something else. I remember reading something about different DVD players that will soon be coming out. One that plays blue spectrum laser things and another one that plays red spectrum laser things. Does this mean that all of my DVD collection will be obselete like VHS will soon become.

I appreciate times move forward but for the price that these products are, peoples annual wage does not take into account having to buy a brand new TV and DVD player every year just so you can watch a few tv channels.

Hey sorry to moan, I am just mad about this HDTV. People are getting ripped off everywhere because not enough has been said on the TV about this.

Anyway, thanks for posting, and errrmmm I think I will just hang around for a year and see what happens in the tv market and see if it will finally slow down for abit!!!!!

9. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    don't fret mate you aint the first and aint the last to fall for the lies of inadequately trainded salesmen....

10. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    Calm down dear !.. When Sky eventually get things off the ground,so to speak, there won't be masses of new programmes. For the most part it will be programmes we get now, but in Higher Definition. There are hundreds of SD channels already if you have Sky or cable and quite a lot if you have Freeview. An exclusive SD digital service on terrestial television, and when all the current analogue is switched off, is not due for another 5 years. BBC and ITV may dabble in HDTV on a few channels somehow before then, but they are not considering changing to HD on a wider scale until after 2010. Programmes are being made in HD now and we are all watching them in SD so we are not being denied anything. I doubt if 'brilliant new series' will be made exclusively for HD viewing only. Enjoy what you have and perhaps 5 years down the line HD sets will be cheaper, and better, than they are today.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    Are you trying to say that its not your fault, and that its the TV's fault for not telling you enough information?

12. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Don't bank on it!

This is Sky remember.
    How do Sky make their money? By keeping exclusive content to premium channels.
    Do they show the premiership on Sky one? I don't think so.

So, when that next series of 24, SG-1 or some other leading program comes along that is made in HD, and they want to start getting people to take up HD subscriptions, where do you think those new series are going to appear first? On the HD only channels of course. Of course they will make their way to SD channels in due course, but don't be suprised when they are "HD Exclusives" for their first showing at least.

Don't say it wont happen... this IS sky we are talking about

13. roper999

roper999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the words of support mate!!!!!!!!!!

I never said it was anyones fault. I for one however do accept part of the blame due to not knowing enough about HD TV before buying the TV and also I accept that I was at fault to accept that the advice given by the Salesguy was correct.

How can I blame the TV? I blame the full technology industry. Like I said before, I am only 26 years old and try to keep upto date with new technology. I have now spent over £3,500 on technology this year. A new laptop, and new desktop and the TV. I know for a fact that all 3 of these products are now "old" and there are better things on the market now for cheaper. I just cannot accept paying what is actually closer to £4,000 on technology for it to be out of date not even a year but a month after purchasing it.

I appreciate this is the same for everyone and I am not taking it personally. I know I am not the first and most certainly wont be the last to be given false information in order for someone to make a sale.

I suppose I am saying that not enough is being done to explain the "new" technology to people. What, we all have to go to college or university for every week for the rest of our lives just to stay upto date with technology in order that we dont get ripped off!!!!!!!!!

I know I cant afford to replace any of my technology for atleast 2 years, so I hope that some posters are right on here, about the date 2010 and HDTV. I however would agree with the poster who said that Sky will put new series on a "premium" HDTV channel. I for one love the TV series Lost. I know it is filmed in HD-TV for USA so I dare say, after the first season on Channel 4, Sky will buy it and put it on their new HDTV channel!!!!! I suppose it doesnt matter about that tho, I download the current episodes from USA (Season 2). Here is a good example of being ripped off. In UK the Lost Season 1 Episodes 1 -12 box set is released this weekend. It costs £27.99 from play I think. Anyway, I bought the full Season 1 box set from Amazon. Thats all 24 episodes (Region 1) for a mere £28. Which included £10 import tax and VAT!!!!!!!!!!! It was actually only £17.99 for the season 1 box set. UK RIP OFF BIG TIME.

Anyway, theres my rant for today.

I suppose I will go and do some study on Apples so that I do not get ripped off when going to the supermarket and buying a Bad Apple. Oh no, you can actually see that the apple is bad so I wouldnt buy it, so I dont have to spend hours and hours researching the product!!!!!!!!!!

14. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    This is Sky remember.
    How do Sky make their money? By keeping exclusive content to premium channels.
    Do they show the premiership on Sky one? I don't think so.

I'm sure that's very true. Don't forget that revenue also comes from advertising. A few hundred thousand viewers of HD is not going to impress advertisers who buy 'slots' in premium programmes like 'Lost', or anything else. Sky are going to want to get their moneys worth from advertising by putting these programs out ASAP on channels where they can prove to have viewers in the millions.

15. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Lost is not a Sky program, but it is a good example.

Where is it shown first? On the channel with the biggest audience to appease the advertisers, C4?
    No, on E4, the digital only channel. Only the following week does it appear on C4.

Expect programs like lost to get their 1st showing on HD channels first. Even if it is only a week before SD.

That way they get 2 bites of the cherry. Subscription audience money, then advertising money.

16. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Err - except E4 is a FTA digital channel on some platforms (like Freeview) - so there is no subscription issue. It is a simple trade-off between subscription income and advertising income.

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    Nobody forces you to buy anything, if you can't afford it, or believe its not value for you money, don't buy it.....