1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KE-42TS2 and Hitachi - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RossC, May 8, 2003.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone have any experience/informed opinions etc on this unit?

Recently viewed the following side by side with the same sources simultaneously (my thoughts aftewards) - Star Wars DVD and Sky broadcast:

Panasonic 42PW5 - slight flicker and less detail than Pioneer. Lower resolution screen - is this an issue?
    Pioneer 433MXE - more detail (i.e showed more stars in the opening credits of Star Wars) but black not as strong as Panasonic. Most expensive too.
    Hitachi 42PMA400 - good image, vivid colours, but fan noise is intrusive during quiet scenes.

....hence my question about the Sony - Techtronics are doing them for a similar price to the above so worthy of consideration in your opinions?

Finally is the Hitachi 42PD3000 any quieter than the 400 and does the media box compromise conections or picture?

Sorry about all the questions, new to this plasma game and would appreciate as much informed opinion as possible.

Thanks

2. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone....?

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Having just taken delivery of a 42PD3000 I can say it comes up to the reviews. The AV box manages the connections - 2 RGB scart, component and PC inputs. The electronics are off the screen so no fans required. The AV box can be hidden as remote operates via the screen and the single umbilical lead plus mains leads are easy to hide.

The off mentioned buzz of ALIS screens is only just audible on my screen within a foot. The picture quality is excellent when toned down from the factory settings. I could not find a Sony to view but as the prices were similar and the Hitachi screens were ex-stock I went with the screen that had got such excellent reviews.