Sony KE-42MR1

sparkz

Standard Member
Reaction score
The January issue of Home Cinema Choice had a news item on the new Sony plasma screens. The KE-42MR1 and KE-50MR1.

This seemed to be confirmed by a news item on the Sony Europe web site that the 42MR1 would be available from Nov '02. However, speaking to Sony UK all I get is that there are no new models coming out for the UK market and these models are for the US only???

Anyone heard any more about this?

Thanks

Hi Sparkz,

I was wondering the same thing. I have had a search on the net but nothing really comes up (in English anyway!). I was wavering between the 5 series panny (50") and the pioneer but I have ruled both out now as neither can give me a tuner board and DVI connectivity at the same time. The Panny was a real cock up as the 5 series does not even offer normal VGA PC connection if you have the tuner board fitted. The Pioneer does do this but the model has been out for a full year now and I just know if I buy it then they'll release an all singing all dancing super dooper plasma the next day.

If you find out any more informaion on a UK release for these Sony's then give me a shout and I'll do likewise.

Regards

Simon

Simon

Found out a little more. Apparently, the models are KZ-42MR1 and KZ-50MR1 not ME. At least Sony UK recognise the existance of those although they couldn't give me any dates. Guess that means into next year. I notice a few sites had them on their product lists already.

From looking at the Sony US site I guess it's going to be similar to the KE-42XBR900 which it seems is not available until Feb 2003.

Sparkz

Sparkz,

There is a similar write-up in this months 'Home Entertainment' which call the models KM-42MR1 & KM-50MR1. They've got the 42 at £8k and the 50 at £9.3 K. Thats a lot of dosh but if the spec meets the esthetics then I might just give it a go.

Cheers for now

Simon

Just an update. This is what I got in an email from Sony:

"The KE-42MR1 and KE-50MR1 will not be available in the UK, and we have no records of these products. We do however, have the KZ-42MR1 and KZ-50MR1 wall hanging plasmas coming out soon. We do not have the information as to why they have been delayed, but were due to be launched in mid-December. We can now say that they should be available in shops in mid-January of 2003.
These are 42 inches and 50 inches respectively. They come with a separate tuner box and a memory stick slot for reading JPEG images."

My local Sony shop still hasn't heard of them though!

Hi Sparkz,

The versions are KZ-42MR1 & KZ-50MR1, if you search the net with these search screens it will throw up some info. it looks like this lot :

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/865-sony-kz-50mr1-plasma-widescreen-tv.html

are ready to stock them. I also found a foriegn site that listed the spec in English. I'll find it again later and post it. It looks like the 42 was supposed to hit Europe in November and the 50 3 months later. Now i seems like both are due for a February 2003 UK launch.

They are both farkin expensive but seem to have the spec to match the spunky panel, I'm just looking for DVI connection to get me really excited.

Cath u later

Simon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom