SONY KDS55A2000 or LCD & Projector

starman0147

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I need some opinions on what option I should take as choosing the right TV is doing my head in!:suicide:

I have around just under a grand to spend but I am not sure what to get!

1. Get a 32”- 37” LCD 720p TV and a 720p Projector The LCD TV might have to be a budget brand, mirai or something like that
The projector will be projecting on my 80” Ikea blinds. The way my room is setup I don't plan on get a proper screen at the moment.
Or
2. Get the SONY KDS55A2000 rear projector 1080p £1100 to be paid over 9 month's interest free. Will give me full HD now!

I really really wish the Sony “55 was not so cheap because it is just so tempting and is making my decision really hard.

My current HD source is only my computer which can do 720p fine but I will be turning that into a HTPC as I will be getting a Macbook pro in a couple of months.
I have a Nintendo Wii and freeview PVR.
I also plan on getting an Xbox 360 (elite) or PS3 before the end of the year, maybe sooner if I choose the RPTV as it will give me a finance option therefore maybe I can spend some of the cash I have now on one of the two.

Please help!

What's your viewing distance?

If it's around the 9ft mark, then based on my experience you'll regret not getting a full 1920x1080 resolution TV. If you've got any HD sources (e.g. XB360 elite, PS3 or SkyHD), you'll want 1080.

The thing with front projection is you need a room where you can control the light, bright sun coming into your room or bright room lighting will just wash out the image somthing like the Hitachi PJ-TX300 around the £800 mark, would give a great image in a darkened room.

1. Get a 32”- 37” LCD 720p TV and a 720p Projector The LCD TV might have to be a budget brand, mirai or something like that
The projector will be projecting on my 80” Ikea blinds. The way my room is setup I don’t plan on get a proper screen at the moment.

Two problems:

1) Cheap LCDs are rubbish - you'd be better getting a 32" CRT. In fact, at 32" you'd be better getting a CRT than a good LCD as well :)

2) Projecting onto blinds isn't exactly ideal.

Overall, I'd go for the SXRD. A projector+CRT setup is a good combo normally, but without a good screen you're wasting your time - you'd get a much better picture with teh SXRD.

Hmm this is interesting, I posted roughly the same question in the LCD forum and the responses I got (2 only:thumbsdow ) were saying that a LCD TV and projector were the best option, maybe it a bias thing, its hard tell. Although there is no doubt the SXRD will give me the best picture but I thought a projector would give you that WOW factor!

What's your viewing distance?

Well as it will be going in my bedroom the viewing distance can vary, my room is quite long and narrow 16ft * 9ft. If sitting on my bed I will be around 13ft away, if sitting on my recliner I will be 9ft away.
I suppose the bed would be good for SD content, recliner for HD.

Two problems:

1) Cheap LCDs are rubbish - you'd be better getting a 32" CRT. In fact, at 32" you'd be better getting a CRT than a good LCD as well :)

2) Projecting onto blinds isn't exactly ideal.

Overall, I'd go for the SXRD. A projector+CRT setup is a good combo normally, but without a good screen you're wasting your time - you'd get a much better picture with teh SXRD.

From lurking around in the projector forums I have heard that the Ikea blinds perform quite well, obviously they won't be anything near to a top of the range screen.
They are in front of my window and will come down when I will be watching something on the projector. They seem to be to a very good job in keeping the light out, even in the mornings the room is very dark and anything after 6pm the room is pitch black! However I won't be actually using the projector for daytime viewing often, it will be mainly for films, football and maybe some gaming

For a projector I was thinking of the Sanyo Z5 (has same inputs as the SXRD) or the Optoma HD70 (I don't suffer from rainbows) can get both for under £700.

For a LCD TV I would say the Mirai 32” DTL-632V200 or the Hannspree XV37” which even though are budget brands do get quite good reviews.

I was actually thinking of a CRT and have had a look at the Samsung slim fit TVs which do look quite good but have heard seem be quite unreliable and from what I have heard the best CRTs you can get are second hand now which I don't really want as I would like some kind of warranty.

Arrg I am no nearer to making a decision, I think I will be taking a trip to the Sony centre this weekend and checking out the SXRD again!

1: LCD TVs are not rubbish.
2: Projecting onto a suitable rollerblind is not a problem.

In fact, having a small LCD for day-to-day viewing of much of the tripe that's broadcast, plus a front-projection system for that cinematic experience with movies, is, IMO, the best compromise.

The main reason is this: a huge rear-pro (or any other kind of fixed) screen is huge and intrusive when it's turned off and not in use. Whereas a projection screen can be rolled away when not in use.

On your budget I have to say get the sony kds. I was facing exactly the same choice and with a bigger budget and still went for the KDS55A2000. You just wont beat the picture quality at that price. Sure you can get a little lcd which won't be such a space hog in your room but at the price both it and the front projector won't be even half as good. No lcd motion blur, no plasma screen screen door, no dlp rainbows and a price that won't leave you with a crippling overdraft for full 1080p. A 1080p rear projector will cost you 3 or 4 times as much as this set alone and a 1080p lcd will cost you twice as much and you will be regreting only getting 720 before long.

Just make sure you are ok with the size of the rptv before you buy.

1: LCD TVs are not rubbish.
2: Projecting onto a suitable rollerblind is not a problem.

I did say cheap LCDs :) As for rollerblinds: is that really worth doing? You're spending a lot of money on a quality piece of equipment - surely it's worth spending even £100-£200 on a screen.

However, I'd definitely agree that a smaller screen plus a projector screen you can put away is a very nice compromise. A big problem with only having a large RPTV is that when you have to watch standard def broadcasts they make you wince - even a football nut like me finds it hard to watch ITV Champion's League (it was 2.5mbit on ITV4 the other night!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom