Sony KDS-70R2000 70" SXRD Rear Projection TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nathankemp, Dec 20, 2006.

1. nathankemp

nathankemp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Has anybody seen one of these in action? I'm very interested in buying one but have a few reservations.

I used to have a Sony Pearl Projector that uses the SXRD 1080p technology but had problems with the convergence.

Does anybody know if rear projection TVs using this technology can also suffer from a convergence problem?

Attached Files:

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Yes, I've seen a couple.

All 3 chip projection engines suffer from mis-convergence to some degree, but the SXRDs seem to suffer more than others.

While there are convergence isues with the RPTVs, I believe that they have convergence adjustments that the front projectors do not. These allow pixel-step adjustments in each colour in each direction. That will get adequate convergence in the centre, but does not guarantee accurate convergence at the corners, but it's better than not having it.

If convergence is a big issue, it might be worth waiting for the 1080p DLP RPTVs that will doubtless flood / trickle to our shores next year. Most people don't seem to think it's such a big issue, given the apparent success of the KDS-55. The 70" seems rather expensive in comparsion, though.

Nick

3. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Any projection TV with three LCD panels will be at risk of misconvergence; so too are three-chip DLPs. Single-chip DLPs can't suffer from misconvergence but do cause rainbows unless the speed of change of colour is too fast for the eye to perceive. That's the beauty of LED DLPs (and presumably laser DLPs too). I can't wait for Samsung's LED DLP to come over from the US where it is now on sale - reckon that will be the TV to beat, though obviously being rearpro you can't hang it on the wall.

4. nathankemp

nathankemp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are there any viewing angle problems with SXRD as there are with DLP RP?

Also, anybody know who's offering the best price for the KDS-70R2000? The best I've seen is £4250 which seems mighty high considering you can pick up the 55" for £1500!

Nearly 3 times the price for an extra 15", doesn't make sense to me.

5. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    [​IMG]

6. pugheaven

pugheaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  7. mishmash

mishmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Took the missus to London the last few days and went to Harrods to see the 70" in the flesh, it just looked huge. It is actually very large width wise almost reaching CRT sizes. I couldn't really judge the picture quality as it was in a small section in the Sony department surrounded by many other TVs, and the missus was moaning that she wanted to go to other parts of Harrods.

I would add the LG 71" gold Plasma did look very impressive in the LG section in Harrods.

8. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, do you have a link to these LED sets?, i was considering the sony sx tech but am being put off by the reported issues.
    Is the led tech better then DLP?, any info appreciated.
    Many Thanks