Sony KDLV40A12U - set up problems

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Laudrup1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Laudrup1

Laudrup1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    My Dad has just bought one of these and is having problems with redness in the picture quality.

The picture seems to be fine when viewing through the cable box but when watching a video or DVD the coulour is very red.
    His settings are

Mode - custom
    Contrast - max
    brightness - 71
    colour - 25
    sharpness - 25
    backlight - 5

Is there anything obvious that he could be doing wrong.

The video and Dvd's are both connected via scart leads to the tele.

I'm not gonna be able to get over to his for a few days to find out more.

any help appreiciated..............

2. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Contrasts a bit high, might be worth taking it down to 70 and then tweaking it, i also keep the sharpness down at 'min' and removing any noise reduction thats on (if its on auto then move it to either off or BNR). You could also take away the dynamic picture by turning that option to no.

But the main thing to remember is that each input has its own settings, so if hes going from cable box (AV1 or AV2) to DVD (AV3) then he has to setup the picture again, just pause the dvd in a good spot for colour, put in your settings for the cable box and tweak it slightly to suit the DVD. He might have to do this for all inputs as the digital TV input will also be on factory settings.

3. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Yes definitely reduce the contrast down. For some reason Sony set it to max for every input. I was appalled when I first saw the picture on my parents 32" Vega set. Skin colour was so unnatural but tweaking the contrast and other settings was easy enough.

4. Laudrup1

Laudrup1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks guys. I wondered if it would have to be set up for each AV channel. I'll give your suggestions a go when I get round. Thanks again.

5. runner125

runner125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am also just setting up my newly acquired KDLV40A12. I have my Panasonic VCR set up by scart to the Smartlink enabled AV2 socket and the VCR set to the timer mode for this facility but it just doesn't seem to work ie start recording when the EPG timer starts its process. Additionally, although I can record manually or by VCR timer, the TV has to be on or in standby to get a picture to record. Surely there must be a way round this. I don't leave the machine on standby overnight let alone if I were to go away for a couple of weeks holiday and wanted to record something whilst away.
    I do have a spare freeview box knocking around, will connecting this up be my only option for recording with the TV turned off?

Anyone got a suggestion as to whether I am doing something wrong or if they know a trick to get round this?