1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDLV32A12 owners

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by bobbytoad, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi,

I thought i'd start a new thread for those lucky enough to have purchased one of these 'V' Series sets to share info/discuss with other owners and help out other prospective purchasers.

2. stealingthunder

stealingthunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me how good it is and why I should pay the extra over the 's' series set which is some £300 less? tks

3. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I should be getting mine tomorrow, so will do a quick laymans resume after i've had a play

4. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Who did you order from Bobby?

5. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I had a pre order in with Empire Direct, theyve just had a big batch in
    great service so far...touch wood!

6. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My V32 has just arrived a day late after Empire Durect sent me the S32 instead.

Assuming it hasn't been subect to courier football I will have it up and running later today.

7. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent, I hope you can give us some feedback on what you think of it bobbytoad. Have you seen the S32 in action and can compare?

8. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad you started this thread as im thinking of getting one too....

Can anyone post a picture of theirs & perhaps if anyone finds a good deal to let us know?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

9. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    V32 is exceptional as a TV set, what i will be using it for principally. the inbuilt freeview gives a far superior picture to my old box and Trinitron FQ tv, even with a loft aerial.

Had to sit through a chick flick dvd with the mrs and the picture was spotless crisp and unbelievably bright, with clear vivid colours.

The only downside is the built in speaker which is pretty awful, i have a Sony HTDDW670 Home theratre system which really does the tv justice

I have downloaded some HD clips from the net but am unsure what cables i need to connect my PC (GeForce 5700 LE card) and how to set it up with the screen if it is necessary (advice on what cable and where to get it would be welcome (a cheap one)

Bought mine from Empire Direct, they are expecting limited stocks in soon and are the only discounter to have stock

will post pic tomorrow

10. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Thanks for the quick first impressions. :)

Are you a gamer at all? I'd really like to know how it copes with SD games, rather than ED/HD ones. (I know it'll do just fine in that department)

I'm interested if the Wega Engine adds any lag or if the image blurs at all. (a blur caused by the interlacing though, not the panel)

Are the speakers detachable? I hope they are, never use the ones on my Samsung.

Edit: One last question - if you can manually adjust the backlight, does it buzz at all? I would suspect it does when it gets low, if so, where abouts does it start? It may also happen when you lower contrast, if it's anything like my Samsung.

Thanks. :)

11. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thought i'd just bump this - there a great review on the other thread dedicated to this tv

12. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got any recomendations as to how to mount this TV to a wall?

13. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi well I've ordered mine (KDLV32) from www.discountaudiovision.co.uk They rang me almost straight away to say it should be here in a week.. can't wait.

:lesson: As for mounting to the wall I noted the spec says it's vesa compliant so I'm guessing that on the back there are 4 holes which are either 75mm or 100mm apart in a square. So I ordered a vesa universal wall support that supports upto 30kg from empire direct:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/VOG-VFW030SI.htm

went out on a limb here... it *should* all just plug together....
    rgds

14. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbytoad can you tell me if this TV supports 1080p?
    rgds

15. Taylorg

Taylorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All you need is a VESA wall mount that supports and 32" LCD TV.

Grant

16. bledd

bledd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would suggest that you wait till the tv arrives before ordering a wall mount, VESA is just the mounting hole pattern 75/100/200 etc. The brackets on offer differ significantly in terms of depth. Depending on how the termination is orientated on the back of the tv ( horizontal/vertical) this will dictate the minimum clearance required for the back of the tv (including cables) to the wall. I have ordered a V32 but i am waiting to order the bracket as I can't find enough info on the v32. If anybody has already got a v32 could you measure out from the mounting bolt holes until you pass the last protruding item on the back and give us the measurement?

Thanks

Bledd

17. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, the KDLV32 arrived today. I've unapcked, plugged and connected it up. It turns out the VESA wall mounting distance is 200mm only. i.e. no option for 100mm. When buying a wall bracket bear in mind there needs to be clearance for the cables to run down the back as sony have not cut a channel for them :(. There are no other bits sticking out, only cable thickness for say 3 scarts and component and audio cables.

First impressions are that I like the fact that it has a thin frame (unlike the phillips ambilight equiv), very stylish and even the wife likes it.

Picture wise, it's pretty good but I'm not jumping over the moon. Acceptable is a good word. I can see why people who eulogise about CRTs complain so much. When you get one of these LCD tvs, artifacts in the picture are amplified significantly. This Is what I've noticed on EVERY LCD TV not just the sony.

Had to play with the settings a lot to get a good picture. DVDs look great. I guess part of the problem with TV is it's SD at the moment and when you blow up SD to 32" you get pixelated edging around certain items.

Not sure how you'd connect a PC. Havn't tried a PS2 yet.

There's a slot for TopUp TV which no one has mentioned yet.

Havn't tried digital TV directly yet as I take my digital TV through a Topfield PVR.

The manual is very poor, doesn't give enough information on certain subjects.

No scart leads supplied which is a bit tight for Sony.

And finally biggest gripe: I *STILL* don't know if this TV supports 1080p!!

Word about the supplier. Got it from DiscountAudio Vision who it seems are also 121Electricals. I have no experience of their customer service as no problems found. Would deal with them again.

Overall I'll be keeping it. 8/10 Sony - hope you're listening!

18. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Funny as you read the comments the tv is a big hit with my Mrs as well ... quite a few people have commented on their wives liking it ;o)

it does do 1080i (or whatever number it is)

to connect to a pc u will need a DVI to hdmi cable to get the best results.

I got a cable from Maplins i think 5 metres fro £20 and did a quick test with some 720p high deff clips from the internet, when you see the picture from that you will realise what these sets are all about and what they can do!

19. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so after much trawling of the web I finally managed to locate an appropriate 32" vesa 200x200 wall bracket. Can you believe maplins flush mounts only go upto 200x100?

I checked out a lot of wall mounts (tried all the major retailers in shop and on the web) and they all wanted silly money (e.g. £250) because these wall brackets cater for obscenely sized plasma jobbys.

I got mine from C J Robbins http://www.cjrobins.co.uk/ and it comes in two parts the models being BT8000 (this is the bit you attach to the wall) and BT7505 (the bit you attach to the monitor). It even has security bolts so a burglar would have to have a very special tool to remove it. Total cost of both parts with bolts was £64 inc VAT.

Anyway I think sony got it wrong by putting only vesa 200x200 on the back of this monitor because without the stand it's only 18Kg. This is more than enough for most 100x100 flush wall mounts. I have one (100x100) here that takes 30kg.

It looks great on the wall - even the wife thinks so. :)