1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDLS32A12U

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by HeweyBoy101, Aug 13, 2005.

1. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Was browsing at a retailer yesterday, looking at the range of HD ready flat panel TV's. This new 32" Sony model was on display. I have to say it was the very best LCD picture I have ever seen. Every other LCD screen looked pale, washed out and lacking in detail, by comparison. Admitedly it was playing DVD at the time, via RGB scart. Switching to freeview however it still looked excellent. The best bit however was when the shop assistant offered to demo HD (via Euro HD1 channel). This was done via the HDMI connector. It was brilliant - better I think than the 42" Pioneer which was also hooked up to the HD feed. This may however be due to the smaller screen size, and probably standing too close to the Pioneer.

To think you can now buy a TV of this calibre for less than £1,400 (quite a bit less if you hunt around online). I can remember not too long ago paying a similar price for a 32" CRT.

This has now gone straight to the top of my wish list to replace my 37" non-HD ready Philips Plasma. Just one moan - we had difficulty finding the HDMI input connector. After much head scratching we located it on the top left hand side. This means that thee is no way to hide the input lead, so that you'll have to live with a clearly visible cable jutting out from the top side of the panel! Looks very much like HDMI was added as an after-thought!

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Whoah - it's on the top left? That's...bizarre. Glad to hear you're impressed though, my friends have been extremely impressed by my current Sony LCD. I can't wait for the V-series.

BTW, I think Sony also did this for their older 32" (-M1) model in America - only the HDMI input was on the SIDE that time...

3. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    has any one bought this tv yet or had a good play with it, whats the general consensus on the quality of the new range?

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump...anyone get this tv, could say a few words?

I cant believe the HD connector is on the side, i was really really considering this! NOW i`m not sure at all!! It sounds daft, but i`m wall mounting it and really really dont want a lead dangling out the side of my tv set!!!!

5. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    surely if you're wall mounting then you will get cables dangling from the tv everywhere???

i think some one else raised this point and commented that it was on the side but actually out of the way/eyeshot.

seen the tv briefly (nice bright colour picture btw) but not checked out connections

6. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Craynerd, I briefly saw the tv the other day and from what I remember the input was set back enough on the side to hide most of the cable. No lead was connected so it will be a close call to whether you will see it or not.

7. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not if you do it correctly and feed the wires through the wall cavity. Then infact, there will be no wires!! Now if i`ve gone to the trouble of doing all that lot, the last thing i want is the hd connector sticking from the side of the lcd!!!!

Anyways, cheers guys i`ll take a look.

After all this i`m swaying for the panny lxd50, my origonal choice, before i was overtaken by all this HD bull, that isnt even gonna effect me! I aint got sky digital, and if i did won`t be paying an extra £10 a month to watch HD, and by 2010 i`ll havce swapped tvs, probably for one of the new HD holgram tvs!

Chris

8. stealingthunder

stealingthunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen both of these at prices from 1200 to 1600 - but the kdls doesn't seem to be wega - will this make a big difference in hd? :lease:

9. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wont it make more of a difference when it is not using its HD function, as i thought wega was there to compensate normal poorer signals?