Sony KDLS32A12 OR Toshiba 32WLT58?

HHGTTG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Which one should I get? Both are similar price in the shops and all I want to do is watch television via Analogue or the built-in Freeview tuner.

I assume that neither have internal fans but have adjustable backlight facility (I know the Sony fulfill these requirements).

I've alway had Sony TV's and they have always been almost fault-free. My current one is a 14 year old 25" Trinitron CRT with a super picture, with great perception of depth, which I have yet to be convinced is portrayed to the same degree by the current range of LCD displays..............hmmmmmmmmmm.

HHGTTG said:
Which one should I get? Both are similar price in the shops and all I want to do is watch television via Analogue or the built-in Freeview tuner.

I assume that neither have internal fans but have adjustable backlight facility (I know the Sony fulfill these requirements).

I've alway had Sony TV's and they have always been almost fault-free. My current one is a 14 year old 25" Trinitron CRT with a super picture, with great perception of depth, which I have yet to be convinced is portrayed to the same degree by the current range of LCD displays..............hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well some good CRTs still have the upper edge over some LCDs. Especially when you try to feed crappy Analogue and Freeview to them. CRT will almost always give you a better image in that case.

Are you not bothered with HD? Just asking.

you have a good experience with the Sony brand, so that might lead you to reward them with your custom.

Just go and look at them in a shop. One may simply not be to your liking, either picture-wise, or styling-wise.

Both seem good TVs, and are similar prices, so there isn't really much more we can do for you

DanDT said:
Well some good CRTs still have the upper edge over some LCDs. Especially when you try to feed crappy Analogue and Freeview to them. CRT will almost always give you a better image in that case.

Are you not bothered with HD? Just asking.

Nope. Not bothered with HD just 'crappy Analogue and Freeview' as I can't envisage a HD feed/equipment that I'd be buying or subscribing to.

I'm old fashioned, I realise that and am in that age group (retired 'silver surfer') that is not interested in XBox or PC interfaces etc. I have only just bought a DVD player to play all those crappy Freebies you get with the weekend papers - it wasn't worth the effort, however, as all the DVD's, so far, have been just a load of rubbish (that's why they were free, I suppose).

I am contemplating getting a Pioneer DVR 530s in the next week or so to replace my VCR and so my cheapo DVD player (Tosh SD150 will be consigned to the dustbin or a friend in need!!!)
:boring: :D

HHGTTG said:
Nope. Not bothered with HD just 'crappy Analogue and Freeview' as I can't envisage a HD feed/equipment that I'd be buying or subscribing to.

I'm old fashioned, I realise that and am in that age group (retired 'silver surfer') that is not interested in XBox or PC interfaces etc. I have only just bought a DVD player to play all those crappy Freebies you get with the weekend papers - it wasn't worth the effort, however, as all the DVD's, so far, have been just a load of rubbish (that's why they were free, I suppose).

I am contemplating getting a Pioneer DVR 530s in the next week or so to replace my VCR and so my cheapo DVD player (Tosh SD150 will be consigned to the dustbin or a friend in need!!!)
:boring: :D
If you're only interested in normal SD Television viewing have you considered the new Sharp P series LCDs (LC26/32/37P50E). These are optimised for the standard PAL broadcasts and IMO give the one of the best pictures for standard TV and DVD.

neilmcl said:
If you're only interested in normal SD Television viewing have you considered the new Sharp P series LCDs (LC26/32/37P50E). These are optimised for the standard PAL broadcasts and IMO give the one of the best pictures for standard TV and DVD.

I think that the Sharp LCD's are excellent but you probably wont believe why I am rejecting them - it's because of the over large feet/stand on these models. To me, they are gross and would almost be as wide, if not wider than the new TV stand I have bought! All other LCD's I've seen have a neater, smaller 'footprint' for their Screen supports.

:(

HHGTTG said:
I think that the Sharp LCD's are excellent but you probably wont believe why I am rejecting them - it's because of the over large feet/stand on these models. To me, they are gross and would almost be as wide, if not wider than the new TV stand I have bought! All other LCD's I've seen have a neater, smaller 'footprint' for their Screen supports.

How wide is you're stand?

neilmcl said:
How wide is you're stand?

It's a wooden one and not one of those fancy expensive Chrome and Glass affairs.

It is 23.5 inches wide, tapering to about 22 inches towards the back and it is there that the TV would be most likely placed, or about 1/2 way so that it was not too forward into the room. Of course it would not be inconceivable that I could always get another table/stand which would be the most logical thing to do, I suppose.

HHGTTG said:

I think a good old plasma might just do the trick. Standard res ones are quite cheap nowadays.
Don't know, if the look of the set is very important, then we can't tell you which one is best, it's really up to you. Go to a big showroom and check them out ;)

DanDT said:
I think a good old plasma might just do the trick. Standard res ones are quite cheap nowadays.
Don't know, if the look of the set is very important, then we can't tell you which one is best, it's really up to you. Go to a big showroom and check them out ;)

Have not really considered Plasma at the screen size I was thinking of buying i.e 32". Also wanted to get away from shiny glass reflections and I believe they tend to emit a lot of heat and do/used to suffer from screen burnout.

Anyway, truthfully, I'm not interested in Plasma for my needs.

;)

HHGTTG said:
It's a wooden one and not one of those fancy expensive Chrome and Glass affairs.

It is 23.5 inches wide, tapering to about 22 inches towards the back and it is there that the TV would be most likely placed, or about 1/2 way so that it was not too forward into the room. Of course it would not be inconceivable that I could always get another table/stand which would be the most logical thing to do, I suppose.
Well unfortunately your stand will be too small. The stand for the LC32P50E is 631mm wide (25") tapering to 432mm (17"). Having said that these fancy new LCDs look much better on modern new stand anyway ;)

Here's a pic of my Tosh 32WL56 bolted onto a stand :thumbsup:

dscf05510tt.png

Regards Tulloch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom