Sony KDL55W905 or Panasonic TX-L55DT65B

improvox

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have been researching TV's recently looking at what to get and have narrowed down to these two.

Curry's have just cut the price of the KDL55W905 to £1249 and John Lewis has the TX-L55DT65B for £1299 which also comes with the John Lewis 5 year guarentee.

My question is simply which is the better deal, I have read great reviews on both TVs and am really torn about which one to get.

Useage...
- We have Sky HD including Sky Sports so most of our viewing is on the HD channels that are provided there. Mainly the terrestrial channels really. We also use Netflix quite a lot.
- I will connect my PS4 up to it so there will be gaming on it, but it isnt essential that the gaming experinece is perfect, I am only a Casual Gamer really.
- Sound is not a concern as I have Sonos systems at home including their PlayBar, so sound performance of the TV is not a concern.
- 3D - I have never watched anything in 3D on a home tv before so have no idea how much we would use it really.​

Any advice on which to get would be grateful, in the back of my mind I am thinking that the Sony has the edge, but the menu system etc of the Pansonic sounds really easy to use which would be great for my wife(!), also I like that you get a 5 year guarentee through John Lewis.

As I say any advice would be great.

Panny is £1099 now at Richer... I'm tempted with this although the E6B was my first thought.

Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop at RS, my TV arrived today, going to unbox it later this afternoon - I have just submitted a request for a backdated price match with John Lewis, £200! Hopefully they honour it, if not I will send it back and buy it from RS!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop at RS, my TV arrived today, going to unbox it later this afternoon - I have just submitted a request for a backdated price match with John Lewis, £200! Hopefully they honour it, if not I will send it back and buy it from RS!
Plus an extra £10 off when you join their VIP Club ! Just need to check Oxford or Cheltenhams stock !

John Lewis confirmed the Price Match on Saturday, which is great news! I wouldn't have know if you hadn't mentioned it so thanks a lot :smashin:

Super ! Unfortunately for me no boxed stock nearby !

Did you state a specific shop ?

I have pretty much the same question as the OP.
I'm trying to choose between the Sony 46W905 and the Panasonic 42DT65 for a bedroom.

Hi Gezmondo, no I didnt specify a shop, I rang John Lewis customer services and was directed to the NKU (Never Knowlingly Undersold) page on their website, where I was able to submit a form for a price match application. The form asked for name of produce, shop and if i saw it online or in a store, when i said online it asked for the shops web address.

They only price match against companys that have a high street present within 8 miles of their stores, i was concerned as I live in Oxford and we have a Richer Sounds but not a John Lewis. But I guess somewhere there is a Richer Sounds within 8 miles of a John Lewis so it was accepted. But seeing as I could just order online for either I'm not sure why the distance makes any difference.

Anyway they emailed back to say they are happy to price match it and will refund £200 to the card on which I made my original purchase.

If you are concerned about them rejecting it in your local store (if ther is not a Richer Sounds nearby), you could just order it on the JL website like I did then submit the price match request afterwards.

If it all goes pear-shaped you could always return the TV for a full refund.

Which address did you submit as I'm near Oxford ? Cheers

I didnt have to submit a street address of Richer Sounds, it asked where I saw the product at the lower price it gave the options of 'High Street Competitor Website' or "High Street Shop" - When I selected the website option, it asked for the naem of the retailer and their website address.

Cheers . I've done that now . but not gonna hold my breath lol
Are you pleased with yout tv ?

Woo hoo yes they will match it . i pay full price £1299 then they will refund me £200 on acceptance of the goods .

Good news on the price match :smashin:

I am enjoying the TV definitely, only slight problem is that I have a small amount of DSE in the lower middle of the screen, also the bottom right corner looks a little bit darker than the rest and sometimes (although i could be being paranoid) i think i see the beginnings of some vertical bars on the right hand side. I am going to see how it gets on over the next week and may return it for a replacement, I have heard John Lewis are very good at doing this so will see how I feel about it after the bank holiday weekend.

Ooh . i ordered mine today for delivery next weds. fingers crossed then lol cheers bud !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom