Sony KDL55W905 £1,199 or is there anything better value out there?

chrisjie

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've done my research on the W9 it seems to tick all the boxes in terms of quality, gaming lag. With the only negative being viewing angle (not an issue) and smart TV interface (not a huge issues).

Going for £1,199 at Curry's with 5 year warranty + cash back for goals promotion.

My question is, is there anything else out there that's as good value as this right now? Or worth spending a little extra for? The new Sony KDL55W955 seems disappointing and worse quality, albeit better smart features.

Samsung F series doesn't seem as good value for money (although better smart features).

The only other concern I have is buying from Curry's. Customer service isn't as good as John Lewis / Richer Sounds. And I don't feel confident in buying a wall bracket and getting Curry's to install it. Does anyone know if Richer just offer an installation service?

Thanks

After i got my LG 55la970w from curry's I paid for installation but somewhere along the way it came up delivery only when they just dropped it off and walked out the door with me with a confused look on my face so I phoned up a local TV repair and installation guy and got my installation fee back from curry's. I actually saved more then half that way and I was there giving a hand so I knew it was safe.

Speak to Richer Sounds. They offer installation service. Even John Lewis do.

I've done my research on the W9 it seems to tick all the boxes in terms of quality, gaming lag. With the only negative being viewing angle (not an issue) and smart TV interface (not a huge issues).

Going for £1,199 at Curry's with 5 year warranty + cash back for goals promotion.

My question is, is there anything else out there that's as good value as this right now? Or worth spending a little extra for? The new Sony KDL55W955 seems disappointing and worse quality, albeit better smart features.

Samsung F series doesn't seem as good value for money (although better smart features).

The only other concern I have is buying from Curry's. Customer service isn't as good as John Lewis / Richer Sounds. And I don't feel confident in buying a wall bracket and getting Curry's to install it. Does anyone know if Richer just offer an installation service?

Thanks

I bought one of these last Saturday from Currys - didn't get 5 year warranty like you mention and can't see any mention of it on Currys website with regard to this particular set - think its just certain selected models.

Can certainly vouch for the set though - best I've owned - gorgeous blacks and handles motion fantastically well. 3D also - watched the ubiquitous 'Avatar' last night in 3D and never seen it look this good - had real depth and no crosstalk that I could see.

Last edited:
You are right. I must have looked at the wrong thing. No 5 year warranty from Curry's on that specific TV. OK that puts me off a lot more.

This is a good alternative, 2014 model, 5 year warranty

Sony BRAVIA KDL55W829 | 55 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Very good av forum review of the model series

Thanks
This is a good alternative, 2014 model, 5 year warranty

Sony BRAVIA KDL55W829 | 55 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Very good av forum review of the model series

Hi - I was in the same position. Initially looking for one of the new 2014 models but the 905 gets much better reviews.

The only place I could find one was at Currys. Being really nervous about Currys after sales service (or lack of it) I couldn't bring myself to spend £1199 with them and was going to go for the KDL55w829 when it was released with John Lewis.

However, I went into a Sony store yesterday and they have a small stock left at £1199 with standard guarantee and £1299 with full 5 year Sony guarantee.

Ordered and should be delivered tomorrow.

Happy Bunny!

Might be worth stating your location for others if there are stocks available

Sorry - they had 3 in the Sony Centre in Leeds but mine came from the central warehouse as I don't live there. Guess you can order from any of their stores.

Thanks for the update. I don't have a Sony centre anywhere near me.

I haven't decided between the 905 and the 829 yet.

Still don't want to deal with Curry's. Just because I need a bracket and wall mount too. So JL/RS I'm sure are more reliable from that aspect.

Such a dilemma. Slightly Better picture or 5yr warranty, blu ray player and a chance to win a PS4.

Sony uk have a website and probably a phone number for telesales

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom