Sony KDL55HX853 or Samsung UE55ES6800 ?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by martytarty, Aug 10, 2012.

1. martytarty

martytarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi chaps,

I need to replace my 4 year old Samsung 40" Series 6,

I'm purchasing a new TV next week and I'm a little undecided which to get, I have a £1500 budget and I have narrowed it down to 2 TV's.....

Samsung ES6800 55 inch

Samsung UE55ES6800 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Slim LED Smart TV with Dual Core Processor (New for 2012)

Or

Sony KDL55HX853 55 inch

Sony KDL55HX853 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p SMART 3D Dynamic LED Television with Built-in Home Cinema System Stand (New for 2012)

Currently Comet are knocking 20% off TV's over £1500, plus because of where I work I can get an extra 10% off, so that's a 30% discount on TV's over £1500

The chap in comet said he would pick the Samsung all day over the Sony but I have been reading very good things about the Sony, it's been getting 5 Star reviews and in terms of picture quality it's being compared to the latest Samsung es8000

I viewed both TV's but by no means was Comet showing them off in any way, I did catch a quick glance of a movie preview on the Sony and it did look stunning

Both TV's in terms of design looked sexy in their own way

So what am I looking for in a TV?

Picture quality with natural colours is top of my list
    3D is a welcome bonus but not essential so not fussed about how good 3D is.

Smart features are again something I will use but again not essential

If I'm going by recent history then Samsung wins all day long but it seems Sony have come up trumps.

As things Stand I can get the 55 Sony for £1350 at comet with two pairs of 3D Glasses

Or for £20 more I can get the Samsung with two flimsy pairs of 3d glasses

If I believe what I read on the Internet then Sony gets my pick but the guys in store almost seem to ignore that Sony even exist, the guys in Comet and Curry's pretty much had nothing to say about the Sony and kept talking about Samsung,LG etc...

My gut instinct tells me Sony but in recent years Sony have been poor and Samsung always seem to set high standards.

Do I go with what I know or risk the Sony?

I'm interested to see peoples opinions especially if you own either of these TV's

2. walker26

walker26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I am a fan of plasma and looking at the Panasonic GT50 but want a 55" screen and there for also find myself looking at these 2 LED TVs. What are people's opinions on them and will I be happy bearing in mind I've always had plasma? Thanks.

3. Mattyc75

Mattyc75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey martytarty I'm interested in what you chose in the end mate, I'm kind of in the same situation myself now lol

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    IMO there's no reason to go LCD over a GT50 if you like plasma.

OP personally I wouldn't listen to Currys and Comet staff, plenty on these sets in the LCD forum, its worth taking the time to read up.

5. Mattyc75

Mattyc75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one of the 2 sets in title will handle sport(mainly football) best?

6. dsw

dsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMO the last few years Sony tv's haven't been great, however havin spent an age comparing sammy es7000,8000 and the Sony 853 next to each other I think the Sony blows both of these away the extra black border of the Sony really highlights the downsides of the tiny bezels of the samsungs in regards to bleeding, clouding and general deepnesss of the blacks they both look blue in comparison to the Sony