Sony KDL50W829 Vs. KDL50W815

OceanFrog

Novice Member
Hey all (my first post ... very exciting!)

I'm on the verge of buying the Sony KDL50W. However, I'm a bit confused by the difference (if any!) between the KDL50W829 and the KDL50W815.

I've read some conflicting information on this. What exactly is the difference between those 2 TV's? Have they the exact same panel?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

OceanFrog

megadeth uk

Hey all (my first post ... very exciting!)

I'm on the verge of buying the Sony KDL50W. However, I'm a bit confused by the difference (if any!) between the KDL50W829 and the KDL50W815.

I've read some conflicting information on this. What exactly is the difference between those 2 TV's? Have they the exact same panel?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

OceanFrog
The 829 is black and the 815 is silver, there is also a slightly different motion rating, the 829 is 800hz the 815 is 600hz, you won't notice any difference though. The conflicting information is that they are the same motion rating, I have only been able to verify the 800 hz vs 600 hz difference though. Panels are identical. The sony rep instore at John Lewis was adamant they were exactly the same spec wise although most of the info available states the silver version is slightly less. No reviews to confirm this though regarding the 815. If you want one it basically boils down to colour and availability.

megadeth uk

Thank you.

This website [ Powercity SONY KDL50W829BBU SONY 50" 400HZ 3D LED SMART TV TV 46" - 80" Screen ] has the 829BBU as 400Hz ... surely this is not correct???

Is there really no difference between the 829 at 800Hz and the 815 at 600Hz?? I would think that difference would be noticeable ...
The 50w829 is 800 hz, it just goes to show how much confusion there is with the model line up and the motion ratings with the new sony's. I highly doubt you'd be able to tell a difference between 800 and 600 hz without testing equipment, I've looked at both and don't notice anything, both have motionflow settings in the menu. I bought the 42w829 which is supposed to be 400 hz and there isn't any motionflow settings, not that it bothers me as I don't use it or like the effect.

OceanFrog

Novice Member
So, the 50w815 is DEFINITELY 600Hz?? And the 50w829 is DEFINITELY 800Hz??

If so, I think I'll hold out for the 829 ... same price, higher refresh.

megadeth uk

So, the 50w815 is DEFINITELY 600Hz?? And the 50w829 is DEFINITELY 800Hz??

If so, I think I'll hold out for the 829 ... same price, higher refresh.
From the information I've seen yes, the 829 looks better in black in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom