• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SONY KDL46HX923BU - Is this a good deal?

simonlpearce

First post so hello all :hiya:

I am in the process of buying a new tv and have more or less settled on the Sony range. I went into my local Sony dealer and had a look at the HX8 and HX7 ranges.

I found the HX8 range to be superior to the 7 but just a little out of my price bracket. So i started looking around and came by the HX923 which is in the below link.

SONY KDL46HX923BU, 46 Full HD 1080p 3D LCD TV with Intelligent Peak LED, Motionflow XR800, Wi-Fi®, Internet Video & Skype™ | Rgbdirect

This seemed to do everything that the newer HX853 can do but within my budget. This also looks like a great deal considering you get the following included...
  • FREE 5 Year TV Guarantee on Instore Purchase only
  • FREE 3D BluRay Plyer
  • Skype Camera Included
  • 4 x 3D Glasses ( 2 in a box and 2 more FREE)

I am aware of the 'Crease' issues with this model and will be asking if i can see the actual model i am buying in-store before parting with my cash.

Does this look worth the money, or does anyone have any other options for around the same price in 46" flavour?

deon444

Distinguished Member
i have a 46" 923 myself and think its a good quality tv,although mine has a little bit of dse but not too distracting for me.

if you get the tv for that price and don't have the crease and only minor other issues then i think your on to a winner especially as you get a 3d bd player and 2 extra pairs of specs.

you are not getting as much a saving as they claim but still a very good deal,take some bluray films and test it out.

my first 923 had the crease and a big yellow stain on the upper left side of screen,got it changed and this one is much better.

most shops are still selling it at around 1500 but without the bd player and extra glasses.

i got the 5 year warranty and skype
camera with it too plus 2 pairs of glasses a few months back.

the 923 is a set well worth checking out with that deal

simonlpearce

Thanks for the heads up, i have pretty much decided that this is the TV i want so am going to take a look over the weekend.

The person i spoke to on the phone has said that this is a later model which they have sold a couple of with no recent returns so fingers crossed i will avoid any issues with the crease. That said he did assure me that if there are any problems then the warranty would cover it.

simonlpearce

Picked the TV up at the weekend and it seems that so far i have a good one. There is no visible crease that i can see, and trust me i have been looking very hard on lots of different colours.

One thing that is annoying me is some of the sky HD content doesn't seem as clear as i expected. Comedy Central HD is a good example of this where the picture looks a little grainy and some of the text looks pixelated...Yet if i watch SKY F1 HD the image is amazing. Is that down to my settings or is that down to Sky??? Is some of the stuff they stick on the HD chanels not actual true HD?

vickster

Distinguished Member
None of the stuff on Sky HD is 1080p (only Blu-Ray is native 1080p) - Sky HD is broadcast as 1080i

I presume it depends if the programme was produced especially for HD. I would think older comedy stuff has just been tarted up (for want of a better word)

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom