sony kdl46-hx823 anybody have one?

trev179

Standard Member
Been into the sony center today to look around and the kdl46-hx823 caught my

eye 1650 euro with 180 cash back two pairs of 3d glasses and 4 3d blu-rays.

Anyone seen or have one used day to day not in the shop lights and settings?

Any input would be greatly appreciated Cheers :thumbsup:

kessler23

Standard Member
Trev179, I've had mine now for the best part of a month and to be honest, I've got mixed feelings about the HX823's performance. I'll begin with the negatives, which is solely a complaint directed at standard definition TV, which obviously some channels still are. The quality is poor, but poor in such a way that every flaw with the picture and every pixel is highlighted much more than what I've been used to in the past where the TV does it's best to display the information as detailed as it can - so may be not the fault of the Sony, but either way, I believe it's still a disappointing picture.
The positive, and I can't emphasize enough how big a positive, is when the TV is displaying a Bluray Disc, I've honestly never seen a better picture. The clarity and definition is simply incredible, whether it's camera work or animation.
I'm sure there are people who have played around with the settings (and there are a lot of settings) to achieve what they feel is the best display for hi and standard definition but I've just left it as standard for the time being until I hear otherwise.

trev179

Standard Member
Cheers mate not too worried about the sd picture cause 90% of tv use is for HD content (sky hd, ps3, blu-ray ect..) and how do you find the 3D? its not something I will be using often but would like to know its up to scratch as the tv comes with 4 3D movies and 2 active sony 3D glasses so will get some use and what is this crease problem that is in the 923 and supposedly some 823's?:lease:

kessler23

Standard Member
I haven't watched a great deal of 3D content to be honest mate, but what I have seen, which includes a few short animation films from Virgin and Sony's own in built content has been excellent, the look and the depth are unreal, but then I've got nothing to really compare it against.
There's absolutely no evidence of any crease problems which I've been reading about, there is however a touch of light which escapes from the bottom corners - though you'll hardly ever ever notice it.
If 90% of what you'll be watching is HD content, I couldn't recommend a better set. But that's only because I haven't lined up 10 different sets in a row and studied the picture of each one.

trev179

Standard Member
Fair enough :laugh: the only thing now is to wait until the January sales or take the plunge now want a new tv now but dont want to pay an exra 100-300 euro for the sake of a couple of weeks becaue I'm gonna get the BDV-E380 with it so will have a couple of weeks extra to save up the cashish :thumbsup: so will wait. Do let me know about 3D if you do get the chance to watch a full film. Cheers again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom