Sony KDL40X2000 better picture through Humax PVR?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by T-Rex, Sep 14, 2007.

1. T-Rex

T-Rex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking of purchasing the Sony KDL40W2000, but after reading comparisons with the KDL40X2000 on this forum, I am thinking of buying the X2000 as it has a better (freeview) tuner and thus better images than the W2000.

However, I will want to hook up my Humax 9200 PVR that has twin tuners. Does this mean I'll be watching signals via the Humax and NOT via the Sony's tuner? Will this mean the picture quality will not be as good as if I was watching the Sony without the Humax?

The reason I want to connect my Humax is (obviously) to record programmes and pause TV etc.

Thanks for any advice.

2. flyinghaggis

flyinghaggis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you wont be using the built in TV tuner if you use the Humax to watch/record! I was watching freeview [bbc1] on a 40w2000 and a 40x2000 in John Lewis today. I don't know if it was just the settings not being correct but freeview looked terrible on the W-series IMO. The X-series did a much better job at scaling the image. The W2000 suffered badly with artifacts appear iring on a lot of shots and these were virtually non-existent on the X2000? Not sure if it's down to the quality of the freeview tuner in the TVs or the improved Bravia image engine in the X2000

Not really a fair comparison admittedly as I didn't know what the settings were but it's made me want to find the extra couple of hundred £ for the X2000! I guess it's possible there's a setting on the W2000 that would fix the issues tho but I'm not familiar enough with the TVs to look for it!

Be interesting to hear if anyone else thought the same?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    With built in Freeview and PVR you can record two programmes and watch a third using the built in tuner.

I have seen a number of built in Freeview sets (my first "free to air" digital TV was eight years ago) and none have been that great compare to a proper separate box. Plus, the technology cannot be upgraded in the future when it is inside the TV.

4. T-Rex

T-Rex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies. I suppose I'll see what picture looks best. I'm going to go to my local Sony Centre and (hopefully) see the W and X series side by side to compare.

5. JohnWB

JohnWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think that the signal to the TV must have been poor as the freeview picture on my 40w2000 is very good, not much different to the Virgin cable picture. The analogue picture is not very good though.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    From another thread.....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622240

Seriously though. Whatever TV you purchase within 6 months or so there will be another one on the market from the same manufacturer that you will be advised to wait for. I wanted a 42" for my main bedroom, so thought I would but the Panasonic upstairs and put a slightly larger LCD downstairs in the lounge. I spent weeks looking at different TVs and viewed so many that my head hurt. I eventually kept going back to Sony and then started looking at the 46 X series over the 46 W series. In the final analysis, I found that the X series over enhanced the picture and in my opinion detracted from it. I checked at 3 different Sony shops and each time set the X and W series to my viewing criteria. In every case, the W series ALWAYS gave me the more natural picture that I required. Also in every case the top sales guy of the day in each store agreed that the W series was the best natural picture. I would be very surprised if there was going to be an improvement with the next generation of Sony's that would make you wish you had waited. The W2000 is being sold at a very good price now.

Please note. I am not talking about spending 10 minutes in each store, I am talking about 90 minutes.

Also from the same thread...

Just to clarify again. I was talking Freeview, standard DVD and Sky HD. Lets face it, who in the UK would buy the W2000 or X2000 and watch analogue when the sets have Freeview tuners, especially when the current coverage for UK Freeview is 74% and growing very fast by the day? In fact Whitehaven in Cumbria is having the Analogue signal turned off in October this year.

Also please note. I am not talking about comparing, I am talking about in depth analysis of 2 TVs that I am interested in. I also have a very critical eye and would have gone for the X2000 if it was in my opinion the better picture. I dont have a finance problem and my wife and I are both very active retired people who look for value for money.
    Anyway, when I did my testing over several weeks, one of the Sony Centre top technical guys (not the Saturday morning stand in) said after I had spent a long talking to him that the "Enhancement" could be turned off or adjusted to get rid of the over emphasis when using the X2000 and I said what is the point in doing that? His reply was....my point exactly and I would not purchase the X2000 in preference to the W2000, but dont tell Sony I said that as I have to sell the "perceived" best bit of kit on the market. However, there is one point here for the X2000 in that it has a different surround to it and in some people's view this makes it more aesthetically pleasing. But this is all subjective anyway, as who sits and looks at the surrounds of the TV when viewing the picture? In my opinion of course, but not worth the extra money for this surrounding piece of plastic framing.