• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SONY-KDL40W4500 worthy upgrade for Samsung R86??

Playalistic

Hi chaps,

I have been looking at the 40" Sony W4500 and was thinking of upgrading my Samsung 37" R86. To give you an idea, I'm feeding it blu-ray, Sky HD and some HD from my HDMI enabled laptop. Its situated in my lounge and we sit around 7' - 8' away from it.
My dilemma is that I've read in a few places that the difference from 720p/1080i to 1080p isn't that great, especially at the distance im viewing from. I appreciate that all round the Sony is a better TV but is it really going to be that much a difference? I haven't had the chance to look at them side by side otherwise I'm sure it would be clear :confused:

Craig uk

Distinguished Member
I would say that the jump in quality would be significant to say the least. And as w4500 can be had for just over £900 at most places it really is a great deal.

Playalistic

Yep ideally I'd like to be able to see them side by side. I guess it comes down to two things, whether 1080p is better than 720p/1080i and whether the Sony is better in general. The first question is something that could be argued for eternity :cool: The 2nd I guess is a no-brainer!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom