Sony KDL40W4500 Price lies???

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by paulc999, Feb 8, 2009.

1. paulc999

paulc999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard of Sony increasing the price of the 40W4500 by £100?

I was in the Derby Sony Centre (see previous posts about their 'customer' service - avoid them) and hoodwinked into buying this set after the salesman told me that I had to buy on the day (31st Jan) as from the 1st Feb the wholesale price from Sony was going by a £100, so basically everone would be putting up prices.

I bit the bullet, missing out on a slightly better deal elsewhere (only £30) fearing that I'd get stung by the price increase. So I brought the TV, Bluray player and an AV amp. What did I find a week later - no £100 price increase anywhere....

Not liking the idea of being mislead (lied to?), I went back to cancel my order. After 3 attempts, I finally got to see the manger, who was a complete muppet, just going on about what a great deal I'd got. I couldn't make him see that this wasn't about the price, but the fact that I thought they were not to be trusted with my money. He went on about how that they only found out that the price wasn't going up at the last minute, but in the end refused point blank to refund my money. I wouldn't mind so much if I taken the equipment home, but it won't even be delivered for another 3 weeks at the earliest. He did (rather insultingly) agree to knock a tenner off the £1510 total price as a 'goodwill gesture'.
    Anyway a call to trading standards, who advised me about new consumer protection from unfair trading laws which are supposed to put a stop to dodgy practice like this, so the battle's not over...
    Just a warning to others to be aware that with the economic slowdown, there might be more of this about.

I know this may seem a bit petty to some, but £1500 is a lot of money to me. I intend to keep my TV for 10 years or so, and it's important that I have confidence with the store if there's a problem over the life of the product. Clearly here I have problem with the Sony Centre...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Just a small point here, but you're having a problem with a Sony Centre, not all of them as they are all independent retailers (operating under the 'illusion' of being part of Sony) and therefore the service levels they offer will be different from each store.

Also, Sony do not disclose price increases to retailers until the 1st of the month, but just suggest that price increases are on the way, so the store you dealt with was possibly trying to be helpful when they warned you of a possible price increase?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Got to agree with alsina here... you are only having the problem with the Derby Sony Centre, as such don't tar all Sony stores with the same brush....please post back with the outcome.

Curly

4. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Paul did you not pay on credit card? Call you CC company and force a refund, state that you returned to the store within 5 days and they refused to cancel the order. Also be sure to follow through with trading standards.

5. paulc999

paulc999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the credit card info, I'll try them today...

I can see how the retailers could get messed around with short notice price changes, but what I find a bit iffy, is that would a large multinational like Sony expect all their stores to gear up for the new price, by altering computers, internet, shelf edge labels etc then with 3 hours notice change their mind. Seems a bit unlikely that's all. However I'm no expert and that's just my opinon.

To be fair (and I should have been clearer) it was just the Westfield store in Derby. The Friargate store staff were very helpful and gave good advice taking time to talk to me. If it wasn't for the foul weather last week I'd have gone there, but the Westfiled is one of these shopping centres with an integral car park :)

It goes to show how individual staff can really make the difference, as both Derby stores, Nottingham and Loughborough, plus a few others are owned by the same franchise. I guess if I can't get a refund, I'll try to get the sale transferred to another store.

6. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    We are a Sony dealer and can confirm that Sony will change prices without any notice as most manufacturers do in fact. Remember that Sony don't own any stores, so they have to treat all retailers fairly by not leaking details of price changes to some stores before others and so giving them an unfair advantage.

7. paulc999

paulc999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got through to the head office, and got nowhere.....
    Apparently the area manager is backing his staff, stating that he authorised the price change at the last minute, but wouldn't be any more specific. He's adament that as his staff were acting on the information they had at the time, there was no mis-selling involved and there was no way he would cancel the order.

We we asked about their terms and conditions - Well apparently they don't have any, they just ensure that they operate within the law... Never a good sign, and the sort of reply that you see on BBC's Watchdog when the investigators have caught up with some dodgy company.
    I've given up and accepted that I'm stuck with them. God help me if there's a problem 4 years down the line

My last thought (which may upset some of you Sony dealers) is go to a Sony Centre by all means, but remember that they aren't Sony, just a shop that happens to sell them so don't expect any more than you would from a local independent store.
    Finally, if you live anywhere near a John Lewis, go there and get a price match, you will still get a 5 year warranty but the customer service is second to none. This goes double, if you live in the Notts/Derbys/Leics areas as the Sony Centres here are (from my experience) owned by a bunch of cowbows.