Sony KDL40W4500 or Samsung LE40A686 or Samsung LE40A786 - which one?

Bananalaser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Trying to make up my mind and too many choices and deatils and lack of good comparative reviews - HDTV does not review all these yet?
I want to watch through a Humax Freesat as well as children play Nintendo WII - heard the Samsung 786 is great but can be iffy with games?
Prices I find are currently:
Sony - £860
Samsung 686 - £781
Samsung 786 - £1071
Have seen all tvs but as usual, impossible to tell looking at Comet as showing different things and not calibrated etc.
Any advice as to which one should go for and how to calibrate would be much appreciated?
Just brought the Sony DAVIS10 speakers too, but will use them with a 1 yr old Panasonic Plasma and sky hd plus in another room.

Hope someone can help!

Trying to make up my mind and too many choices and deatils and lack of good comparative reviews - HDTV does not review all these yet?
I want to watch through a Humax Freesat as well as children play Nintendo WII - heard the Samsung 786 is great but can be iffy with games?
Sony - £860
Samsung 686 - £781
Samsung 786 - £1071
Have seen all tvs but as usual, impossible to tell looking at Comet as showing different things and not calibrated etc.
Any advice as to which one should go for and how to calibrate would be much appreciated?
Just brought the Sony DAVIS10 speakers too, but will use them with a 1 yr old Panasonic Plasma and sky hd plus in another room.

Hope someone can help!
where can you get sony 40w4500 for £860????

Use Kelkoo Shopping UK - Online Shopping & Price Comparison and they come up with the list of the cheapest I have found - have brought most electronic things after checking prices through their links to suppliers and never had a problem - just today had delivered a Dab radio Pure One Elite and the Sony surround system DAVIS10 and family are trying out now, wish it was wireless with loads of cables everywhere?
What do you think about my question - any advice?

Can any body help with the questions I have - which is the best 40"LCD - have looked at these three and don't which is best for SD TV through Freesat Humax box, DVDs and WII games?
Any advice????

Got the Samung 786 this week and am blown away, the picture quality out of the box is stunning, even the sound, which i thought would be poor is easily adequate. Game play looks pin sharp, the impessive black levels give an amazing dimension. Paid £999 from Crampton and moore with 3 year warranty, delivery was £30 and arrived in 20 Hours !!!!:smashin:
Only slight niggle to date is having to manually select each source input [ps3 and Sky HD via HDMI], on my previous TV if I powered up the DVD player the TV would show the DVD source automatically, Is this the difference between Scart and HDMI ?

hi,
i have similar problem, i am looking at different tv for the last 2 months, starting from 40a656 then 42z3030...40w4000... finally to: 40w4500, 40zf355 and 40a786.
sammy S7 is so far the most expensive from all the above but will we get value for money.
from those 3 i have seen the picture of sony (absolutely amazing on blu ray!!!) they don't sell top range toshiba in ireland so didn't have a look, have seen the lower one and it's very good as well. didn't get a chance to see the sammy one though. it must be better than the a656 and it was the first tv that i really liked the picture on.
with all that crap going on about bleeding, coulding, scaling, etc i am going crazy and keep looking at the most expensive tv as x4500.
i can't affort to pay 3500€ for a tv so please lads help - one of 3 ?!?!?!?

In a similar situation to you there!

I'm going to buy either the tosh 40ZF355 or the sony 40W4500

They are both similar in price now. And to be honest, I couldn't see much difference in the quality of both. I'm getting a sony blu ray player on Monday, so it makes sense to buy the sony panel, to do away with a remote doesn't it??

But every time I see the Tosh, it's so damn pretty! An extra remote isn't that much of a problem is it??

Aaaargh!!!!:suicide:

Oh Man, I've read every review :eek:

For my eyes, they're both as good with HD (which is ipmportant for me) they both handle motion well, and have really good blacks.

The Tosh looks great, and won't dominate my medium sized living room, but I'll still have to flip remotes when watching blu ray or dvd.

The sony doesn't look as good (IMO) as a piece of furniture, but is perhaps a little more future proof, and it means I'll need one less little plastic box to lose down the side of the sofa.

Looks over practicability. I just need to decide :confused:

is the samsung 786 any good or should i go for 956 or even the 756
cheers
icon6.gif

I just the KDL40W4500 and I am blown away by its excelent quality and and build, it's a nice bit of furniture and you just can't beat the SONY when it comes to LCD, only thing that does is a plasma.

Get it, watch it, be amazed....!

the toshiba zf355 is the best looking tv my a mile go for that if it fits your room better size wize.p

but i think the newer lcd s are slightly better performance wise , it all seems to be the newer the better with the likes of sony , samsung i think there later models are the market leading on lcd

im waiting for the new zf hoefully it will still look just as dropdead and perform

For all those out there who want an honest non biased opinion...........this samsung 786 is amazing.....i have had them all coz i change so often.had the sonys and they are nothing compared to the samsung....

the 756 is the best looking tv but the 786 provides the best picture and best blacks........i watch mainly sky(sd) and it evens upscales that to an excellent level..........led backlighting is the future and for the price you can get the 786....its a steal.....the internet feature on the samsungs is nothing so ignore it peeps

I have the LE40A686 and I cannot activate PIP. When I get to the menu, PIP is inactive. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Sony - £860
Samsung 686 - £781
Samsung 786 - £1071

Hope someone can help!
Dude i got my le40a686m1fxxu for 699.99 from co-op direct i just got it yesterday and the 100hz makes games look so immence and the blu rays amazing. not forgetting that it also does make dvds look awesome too.

I have the LE40A686 and I cannot activate PIP. When I get to the menu, PIP is inactive. Can anyone help?
Thanks

hey man i know how to get this working just get your menu up and scroll down to the 4th option down the icon that looks like a cog and go to pip. from there you can do all your pip functions. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom