Sony KDL40W4000U/KDL40V4000U price Drop

coley65

Established Member
Reaction score
Been looking around for a new lcd finaly decided on either of the above. Now Empire direct have these for £599/699. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this correct ( you go a bit bog eyed after looking at these TVs).

Witch model should I get. I am sure I would be pleased with either just would like opinions.

Do John Lewis price match with empire.

They also stock an L model what is that all about

many Thanks Coley

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/?modelcode=SON-KDL40W4000U

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...0V4000U~dept~ctv~subdept~LCDTV~brand~sony.htm

Been looking around for a new lcd finaly decided on either of the above. Now Empire direct have these for £599/699. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this correct ( you go a bit bog eyed after looking at these TVs).

Witch model should I get. I am sure I would be pleased with either just would like opinions.

Do John Lewis price match with empire.

They also stock an L model what is that all about

many Thanks Coley

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/?modelcode=SON-KDL40W4000U

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...0V4000U~dept~ctv~subdept~LCDTV~brand~sony.htm
Wow £720 including delivery for the 40w4000, the price war must be on big time now we have hit october. What a nice surprise before going to bed. :D

thank you so much for this!
iv just sold my 32 inch bravia to fund a 40w4000 and was stressing over wether or not il be able to come up with £800 by friday as that was the price yesterday.
im a very very happy chappy now!!!
and this saves me doing a price match, this has to be the cheapest on the net now!!

prices back up to £799 for the W and £679 for the V

iv just got in from empire direct and managed to get the 40w4000 for 699.99.
there were price labels for both 799.99 and 699.99 and when i asked the clerk the actual price he said 699.99 so i took it to the till to put a deposit down for friday.
when he gave me the total after my deposit it still came up to 799.99 so the computer must have been updated to the higher price again, i told him that the price was 699.99 and he managed to change it :D
im a very happy bunny, and if anyone is after the 40v4000 that was priced up at 599.99 so get down there quick for both before they knock the price back up!!

I wonder if it was a blip or whether they are planning on reducing the price.

I'm hoping the latter as I've like to buy one in the near future.

Whats the difference between the 2?

I think it's down to the colour capacity. The v is 8-bit and the w is 10-bit so it theory the w can handle more colours although I'm not sure anything needs more than 8-bit yet.

There's probably other differences but from what I've read the difference isn't worth paying for (although the w4500 possibly is).

I still need to check them out in the flesh and see what they look like before forming my own opinion.

from the reviews iv read the w4000 is better than the v4000 in that colours are much better and motion is handled better, also the w4000 has extras like xv colour and live colour creation.
all the reviews iv read have said the w4000 was the best lcd of 2008 only beaten by the arrival of the 4500 model, but the price difference is huge now that the price of the 4000 has dropped!
i do prefer the look of the v4000's bezel but i dont dislike the w4000's.
il let everyone know how it goes on friday or saturday when its all set up :D

edit: i just remembered i saw this on the v4000.....
"The small amount of non-defeatable edge enhancement introduced by the video processor did not visibly harm the picture for video content, but all the same, we'd really rather it wasn't here, because there is no need for it on a 1080p HD signal. It is noticeable when using a PC with the display, however."
the w4000 has defeatable edge enhancement so keep this in mnd if your going to be using a pc on it

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom